Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Go down

Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  Jacko on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 5:07 pm

Hi All,

Planning a longer ride on the bandit for this coming November (7 day haul at this point) and the stock seat is... well... crap.
Before I fork out for new stuff, would love to check if anyone on here is trying to shift some of their gear that might be collecting dust! 

Mainly chasing an aftermarket seat such as Sargent (seem to have the best reviews) or the Holeshot Corbin. I have looked into something like an Airhawk but I think I want a more permanent/stylish solution that also works for two-up.

Also chasing some other accessories...

- Panniers
- Top box
- Throttle control (Kaoko or similar)
- Hand protectors (similar to DL1000/Barkbuster Storm)

Would also love any advise on the above, and suggestions of things that you wouldn't go without on a long haul ride!

Cheers all  cheers

Jacko

Posts : 5
Join date : 2018-10-02
Age : 24
Location : Brisbane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  paul on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 6:26 pm

Puncture repair kit .................a lambswool seat cover works well and doesn't lock you in to one position like some seats do .
I use the vista throttle lock , and although the arm on it flexes slightly ( so you have t lock it on slightly higher to maintain speed ) it works well to give your hand a rest .

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7312
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  Jacko on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 6:33 pm

@paul wrote:Puncture repair kit .................a lambswool seat cover works well and doesn't lock you in to one position like some seats do .
I use the vista throttle lock , and although the arm on it flexes slightly ( so you have t lock it on slightly higher to maintain speed ) it works well to give your hand a rest .

Will add that one to the list! ta

Jacko

Posts : 5
Join date : 2018-10-02
Age : 24
Location : Brisbane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  BanditDave on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 11:23 am

There is a motor trimmer in Hervey Bay that does custom seat modifications.
I have had two done and there is quite a list of people around here that are also impressed.
His name Shannon Otto, the business Otto Custom Trims.
The nicest thing about his work is that he will add/remove foam from your existing seat and have you take the bike for a bit of a ride.
If all is satisfactory he will then replace the existing cover or make a new one.
His work in my opinion is better than buying a second seat and "customised to you"

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 742
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 68
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  BanditDave on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 11:52 am

@paul wrote:Puncture repair kit .................a lambswool seat cover works well and doesn't lock you in to one position like some seats do .
I use the vista throttle lock , and although the arm on it flexes slightly ( so you have t lock it on slightly higher to maintain speed ) it works well to give your hand a rest .

Hi Paul Very Happy


Definitely need a puncture repair kit.
Don't waste your money of the CO2 cylinders, buy a small compressor from KMart. Mine cost $12
I say this from personal experience when I had a puncture and 6 CO2 cylinders later was still stuck. A friend came along with a compressor and sorted it.
You can buy the reamer, applicator and sticky string stuff on eBay, probably $10 all up.

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 742
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 68
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  madmax on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 1:05 pm

I take a Tomcat compressor with me on long rides. I did a review on here awhile back.
Although it takes about 10 minutes to inflate the rear tyre, still beats waiting for a tow truck or breakdown service.
Tomcat Compressor

You can pick up a puncture repair kit on ebay. You can also buy extra Co2 cylinders. Apparently you've got to open them up slowly or they freeze up and stop flowing. 3 cylinders got me to 30psi which was enough for me to carefully limp down to the nearest servo. I carry 6 cylinders now. as a backup to the tomcat.

I recommend Sargent seat with 'Cruis'n Comfort' sheepskin
New from www.cruisncomfort.com or I still have mine. (sheepskin that is not Sargent) $100 plus postage, PM me if interested

Also  Kaoko Throttle lock, expensive but the best on the market IMO. ebay Link

Highway pegs from Metrick Metal. Although they are no longer listed on his site, you could message him an ask if he still makes them. Once again expensive but They come in handy if you're on a long boring stretch of road. Metrick Metal

I used a full Givi setup V35NT panniers and V47NT topbox I got them from an Italian ebay seller back when our dollar was high. (not for sale as I transferred them to the BMW)

The picture above taken just before leaving for WA. You can see the highway pegs, and Sargent seat with sheepskin.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4124
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 55
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  paul on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 2:01 pm

@BanditDave wrote:

Hi Paul Very Happy




Hi Dave ,

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7312
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  BanditDave on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 2:21 pm

Looks like your seating and puncture repair kit have been sorted. Next is luggage.

For long distance travelling there is a simple alternative to spare clothing.

Day1 - jocks on normal, day2 - put on backwards, day3 - turn inside out, day4 - reverse again, day5 -discard and go to Best&Less and buy a new pair.
It doesn't get very sweaty riding the open road so just shower in your day clothes every other evening. No matter if they are a little damp the following morning, just open the throttle a little more.
Camping gear, forget it! With caravan parks charging upwards of $40/night, pubs and even motels are not that much more. The trick is to find such a place in the small shitty little towns that aren't on the map. They are usually incredibly cheap and comfortable. Avoid places like Bate's Motel. Not sure where it is but it is run by a guy and his mother who lives upstairs. (if you need another clue, his name is Norman)
So the only luggage you need is an item 85mm x 54mm x 0.7mm otherwise known as a credit card.
For food during the day take a look at how backpackers do it. Packets of 2minute noodles that come in their own cup will keep you alive (but only just). It will make you look forward to your evening meal and not waste any.

So it looks like you can dispense with panniers and top boxes etc. unless you absolutely insist on carrying lots of unnecessary stuff that will probably never use.

Note: a friend of mine used to go lightweight bushwalking. He had a toothbrush with half of the handle cut off and only carried sufficient toothpaste for the duration of the trip

I think that about covers your wish list Very Happy

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 742
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 68
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  madmax on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

@BanditDave wrote:

Note: a friend of mine used to go lightweight bushwalking. He had a toothbrush with half of the handle cut off and only carried sufficient toothpaste for the duration of the trip

Bet his name was Jack Reacher Laughing

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4124
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 55
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  Jacko on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 6:11 pm

Thanks for the info Dave!! Ill be keeping away from there... also while cutting my toothbrush handle might sharpen it too... can never have too much protection.

Cheers Max - great info. if I go a Sargent (either used or new) I will take you up on that sheepskin cover. 

cheers

Jacko

Posts : 5
Join date : 2018-10-02
Age : 24
Location : Brisbane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  talon440 on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 7:00 pm

have tried a few throttle locks and the BreakAway cruise control is the best of them, holds firmly and is deactivated by the brake leaver as well as by a lever with your thumb, as MM said extra foot pegs which I have posted on here before are good for different foot position, I use a Corbin seat, a trip over to WA made all these worth the money, averaged 750ks each day with no problem
avatar
talon440

Posts : 155
Join date : 2013-11-30
Age : 65
Location : Forster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  talon440 on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

I also have a scott oiler fitted for the chain and have had it on for the last 95000ks, 1200ks between oil fill ups, still original chain and sprockets
avatar
talon440

Posts : 155
Join date : 2013-11-30
Age : 65
Location : Forster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  talon440 on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 7:14 pm

@madmax wrote:I take a Tomcat compressor with me on long rides. I did a review on here awhile back.
Although it takes about 10 minutes to inflate the rear tyre, still beats waiting for a tow truck or breakdown service.
Tomcat Compressor

You can pick up a puncture repair kit on ebay. You can also buy extra Co2 cylinders. Apparently you've got to open them up slowly or they freeze up and stop flowing. 3 cylinders got me to 30psi which was enough for me to carefully limp down to the nearest servo. I carry 6 cylinders now. as a backup to the tomcat.

I recommend Sargent seat with 'Cruis'n Comfort' sheepskin
New from www.cruisncomfort.com or I still have mine. (sheepskin that is not Sargent) $100 plus postage, PM me if interested

Also  Kaoko Throttle lock, expensive but the best on the market IMO. ebay Link

Highway pegs from Metrick Metal. Although they are no longer listed on his site, you could message him an ask if he still makes them. Once again expensive but They come in handy if you're on a long boring stretch of road. Metrick Metal

I used a full Givi setup V35NT panniers and V47NT topbox I got them from an Italian ebay seller back when our dollar was high. (not for sale as I transferred them to the BMW)

The picture above taken just before leaving for WA. You can see the highway pegs, and Sargent seat with sheepskin.

MM did you camp much on your way over to WA, my bike looked like I was doing an overnighter compared to your bike, was a great experience, spent a lot of time on the wrong side of the road to even out tyre wear, when safe of course Very Happy
avatar
talon440

Posts : 155
Join date : 2013-11-30
Age : 65
Location : Forster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  madmax on Fri 05 Oct 2018, 7:29 pm

@talon440 wrote:
@madmax wrote:I take a Tomcat compressor with me on long rides. I did a review on here awhile back.
Although it takes about 10 minutes to inflate the rear tyre, still beats waiting for a tow truck or breakdown service.
Tomcat Compressor

You can pick up a puncture repair kit on ebay. You can also buy extra Co2 cylinders. Apparently you've got to open them up slowly or they freeze up and stop flowing. 3 cylinders got me to 30psi which was enough for me to carefully limp down to the nearest servo. I carry 6 cylinders now. as a backup to the tomcat.

I recommend Sargent seat with 'Cruis'n Comfort' sheepskin
New from www.cruisncomfort.com or I still have mine. (sheepskin that is not Sargent) $100 plus postage, PM me if interested

Also  Kaoko Throttle lock, expensive but the best on the market IMO. ebay Link

Highway pegs from Metrick Metal. Although they are no longer listed on his site, you could message him an ask if he still makes them. Once again expensive but They come in handy if you're on a long boring stretch of road. Metrick Metal

I used a full Givi setup V35NT panniers and V47NT topbox I got them from an Italian ebay seller back when our dollar was high. (not for sale as I transferred them to the BMW)

The picture above taken just before leaving for WA. You can see the highway pegs, and Sargent seat with sheepskin.

MM did you camp much on your way over to WA, my bike looked like I was doing an overnighter compared to your bike, was a great experience, spent a lot of time on the wrong side of the road to even out tyre wear, when safe of course Very Happy

No not once Laughing The swag was just there for ballast in the end. I was thinking of using it a Madura Pass Roadhouse, but a $50 ensuite room trumped a $35 hard patch of dirt.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4124
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 55
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

givi top box

Post  stiff13 on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 10:51 am

dont know if this will fit, $250 plus postage . brand new never used, still wrapped as per shop, supposed to be fitted to a repaired bike but didnt turn up for months, and was then never used.
sorry, the pictures didnt work.
New top box, brackets and mount for a 1200 bandit. Givi V47N top box,  Givi 522F mono rack arms,  Givi  M3  Monorack 3.


Last edited by stiff13 on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : no photo)

stiff13

Posts : 4
Join date : 2013-11-16
Location : melbourne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  Alheng on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 8:46 pm

Have a Sargent Seat less then a year old, if you are interested PM me.

Alheng

Posts : 29
Join date : 2017-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  Cheazdad on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 2:51 am

@BanditDave wrote:
@paul wrote:Puncture repair kit .................a lambswool seat cover works well and doesn't lock you in to one position like some seats do .
I use the vista throttle lock , and although the arm on it flexes slightly ( so you have t lock it on slightly higher to maintain speed ) it works well to give your hand a rest .

Hi Paul Very Happy


Definitely need a puncture repair kit.
Don't waste your money of the CO2 cylinders, buy a small compressor from KMart. Mine cost $12
I say this from personal experience when I had a puncture and 6 CO2 cylinders later was still stuck. A friend came along with a compressor and sorted it.
You can buy the reamer, applicator and sticky string stuff on eBay, probably $10 all up.
 will the compressor live under the seat ?

Cheazdad

Posts : 31
Join date : 2016-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  mtbeerwah on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 11:19 am



Hard question for me to answer, as I always take eveything but the kitchen sink,  and in this photo, I've already taken off my backpack that sits on the rear luggage frame.
Tank bag full of tools, and I don't care how heavy it is, if I can think of it, it's going in.

 Clothes : hot gear...cold gear...wet weather gear. 
Rain covers for all my bike packs.

If you don't have a Scott oiler, take chain lube, and lube daily. I even take my torque wrench for adjusting my chain.

As it was I on my recent trip, I needed to adjust my chain.
Another thing that I didn't expect, and had never happened before...Ever, and that is:   

I took my seat off to put stuff under the seat.  I went to clip the seat back down and it would clip in, due to the mechanism not returning in, to lock the seat. 
I had to pull apart the lock mechanism, which required Torx bits, and a small Phillips head Screw driver.
I had these as part of tools I carry, and what had happened is.
 A small rock had found it's way into the workings, and prevented the mechanism returning to it's neutral position. What was the chances of that happening ?  Shit happens. 
At the end of the day,  I go over board with what I take,  BUT...I'll never be stranded, and in only desperation will I ever phone for help. 
I'm not going to sit at the side of the road for possible hours waiting for help. I'm self sufficient.
I'm not into panniers. Don't like them, and will never own them. My own personal opinion only.
 I'm not saying "you" shouldn't  !!!

 So. ..I guess I haven't helped you at all really.

_________________
"Like an unmuddied lake, as clear as an azure sky of deepest summer"
96 Gen 1. Love it to no end.  Simple, solid, underestimated.
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1724
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  madmax on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 5:01 pm

@Cheazdad wrote:
@BanditDave wrote:
@paul wrote:Puncture repair kit .................a lambswool seat cover works well and doesn't lock you in to one position like some seats do .
I use the vista throttle lock , and although the arm on it flexes slightly ( so you have t lock it on slightly higher to maintain speed ) it works well to give your hand a rest .

Hi Paul Very Happy


Definitely need a puncture repair kit.
Don't waste your money of the CO2 cylinders, buy a small compressor from KMart. Mine cost $12
I say this from personal experience when I had a puncture and 6 CO2 cylinders later was still stuck. A friend came along with a compressor and sorted it.
You can buy the reamer, applicator and sticky string stuff on eBay, probably $10 all up.
 will the compressor live under the seat ?

I had a R&G tail tidy on mine and with that you get a little more room under under the seat. I could get in there the Tomcat compressor, puncture repair kit and the factory tool kit.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4124
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 55
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted Touring Gear! (Sargent Seat Mostly)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum