Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drift Innovation HD170

+5
chips
paul
Jimcoleman
Re-Cycled
2wheelsagain
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Drift Innovation HD170 - Page 2 Empty Drift Innovation HD170

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 12 Oct 2010, 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

My new bike video camera arrived today http://www.driftinnovation.com/hd170-action-camera on first impressions its bigger than I thought it would be but it feels well made. Cant wait to get it home and charge it up and bore you all with my videos lol
Drift Innovation HD170 - Page 2 Drift_hd170_main

It arrived in 8 days from US including 2 weekends so I'm impressed with that.

I'll post a review when I get the chance to use it for a while.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Drift Innovation HD170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Drift Innovation HD170

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 31 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

Reardo wrote:I've tried a couple of spots with the GoPro. My helmet seems to move to much & some of the roads are to bumpy to have on the bike. Mad

The clutch mount should work ok. People use these sort of cams on dirt bikes so movement and vibes shouldnt be too much drama.
Where have you tried mate?
I'm mounting mine into a mates speedway car in a couple of weeks Smile

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 31 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

Reardo the secret to good helmet vision is you have to act like a human tripod, think like a camera man not a bike rider. and the way the Gopro mounting system mounts it tends to have a lot leverage so you'll always get some wobble
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 31 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

Gday SB

the secret to clear vision is not how you or what you capture it in ( Standard def, 720 HD or 1080 HD) its how you distribute it

When you render it out your most likely compressing the the video to much hence it will look shit Small file size equals small screen Size. when you blow it up to a decent screen size it looks shit

my clip that uploaded is encoded in H264 ( the only way to go ).Mov ( apple Quicktime) and the file size was about 500 megs

If you have a mac ( every one should have one these days) use iMovie or lash out and buy Final cut pro X from the apps store. if your a Mr Softie user i recommend Sony Vegas Pro 11 or Movie studio HD

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Skywardbandit Sat 31 Dec 2011, 4:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up Jim C

I will try & work this out.

Cheers
Skywardbandit
Skywardbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 31 Dec 2011, 6:04 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:Gday SB

the secret to clear vision is not how you or what you capture it in ( Standard def, 720 HD or 1080 HD) its how you distribute it

When you render it out your most likely compressing the the video to much hence it will look shit Small file size equals small screen Size. when you blow it up to a decent screen size it looks shit

my clip that uploaded is encoded in H264 ( the only way to go ).Mov ( apple Quicktime) and the file size was about 500 megs

If you have a mac ( every one should have one these days) use iMovie or lash out and buy Final cut pro X from the apps store. if your a Mr Softie user i recommend Sony Vegas Pro 11 or Movie studio HD

My final rendered .mp4 for uploading run to about 90mb per minute (5,600kbps) using Pinnacle Studio 14.
Jim give me a Mac and I'll use it Laughing Very Happy

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 01 Jan 2012, 4:03 am

ok Skywardbandit

heres a little video clip to help you understand data rate ( compression ) i have captured it in 720p and rendered it out to youtube as 720p with the codec h.264, quicktime file roughly 168 megs in size

you will notice down the bottom right corner some numbers 240p (VGA) so watch that you notice all the speed stuff is a bit fluffy then on the 240p select 360p and so on till you get to 720 p you'll notice it change in quality but. You'll also notice that the higher you go the faster internet needs to go to avoid buffering.
So its no point offering 720p to someone who is on a 1.5 megabit internet connection cause it will buffer its arse off and take forever to play out. i have adsl 2 here with about 11 megabit connection and it buffers its arse off at 720p so 480p is a happy medium of speed and quality but i like to offer 720p for those lucky people with cable or fibre 100 megabit connections

Cheers

Jim
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 01 Jan 2012, 4:07 am

ok just read the last post you need to do this in youtube it self to as 240p doesn't show up in the embedded window
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 01 Jan 2012, 7:39 am

Its been my experience Jim that the screen size has little to do with file size. It comes down to video compression bit rate much more than displayed screen size. Render a few videos of different compression and check the size.

Its possible some rendering programs don't give you much control over the bit rate and bit rate is tied to screen size.

E.g. Using Pinnacle Studio my videos outputted at 700 x 400 are within a few MB of those outputted at 1920 x 1080 using the same compression rate.

Personally I reckon YouTube sucks for quality for the average Joe. That's why I moved to vimeo.com
The resolution options on YouTube clips are how the file is served to the viewer not what quality was uploaded and we as viewers have no control over how YouTube compress/expand the files but they cant serve data thats not there in the first place so a higher bit rate is the way to go. Another plus for vimeo.com IMHO

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 01 Jan 2012, 9:35 am

4wa your dead right with screen size in you tube and vimeo (must get me an account) but outside that it has a huge amount to do with resolution. if you take a clip off the drift shot in 720p 1280x720 say for 3 minutes say the files size is 300 megs (round figure for the discussion) then you drop it in pinnacle and squeeze it down to 320x240 . which will drop the file size say down 20 megs when you play it out on your computer say using vlc it pops up in the appropriate size window to play in the best quality now open your native clip 720 clip then resize your 320x240 clip and watch the difference. the quality sucks

try this chris create a clip render out at following 320x240, 620x480, 1280x720 then 1920x1080 and use the same compression rate on them all and you"ll see exactly what i'm waffleing on about
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 01 Jan 2012, 9:38 am

That is a really nice bit of country side there mate.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 01 Jan 2012, 10:32 am

i also forgot to mention that compression controls the data rate of the file too. increase the data rate you need a faster drive or internet connections lower the compression quality goes as well but it plays easier
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 01 Jan 2012, 11:04 am

don't buy into the hype, you don't need a mac.....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 01 Jan 2012, 11:21 am

Jimcoleman wrote:ok Skywardbandit

11 megabit connection and it buffers its arse off at 720p so 480p is a happy medium of speed and quality but i like to offer 720p for those lucky people with cable or fibre 100 megabit connections

Cheers

Jim

Your connection should be heaps fast enough, mine is the same and I have no problems at 1080p provided all the servers are serving the data fast enough.

This screen capture shows me buffering at twice the rate it is playing, if you aren't getting data fast enough the bottle neck can be external. My results on http://speedtest.net/ vary with the time of day.
Drift Innovation HD170 - Page 2 Captur10

chips wrote:don't buy into the hype, you don't need a mac.....

Macs are the Harley-Davidsons of computers, people who know nothing about motorcycles think Harley-Davidsons are the ultimate bike.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Skywardbandit Sun 01 Jan 2012, 4:14 pm

Thanks heaps Jim c & 4wheels you guys really have your heads around this stuff.
Its all so much clearer now.
I was uploading them at 480 not 720p
I thought the file would be to large for uploading.

Good stuff guys Laughing

Skywardbandit
Skywardbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 01 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

[quote="Re-Cycled"]
Jimcoleman wrote:
chips wrote:don't buy into the hype, you don't need a mac.....

Macs are the Harley-Davidsons of computers, people who know nothing about motorcycles think Harley-Davidsons are the ultimate bike.

Omg, so true
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 02 Jan 2012, 8:16 am

i sort of take thats a bit of an insult guys javascript:emoticonp('Wink')

after being a IT sales guy for the last five years and selling PC and Mac. it is the PC that should be the Harley davidson actually i should be fair it should be the OS Geezus microsoft should be sued to the ground for selling such crap to the general public.

Let see, I saw bugger all macs come in for repair yet there was steady stream of slow, virus , malware, blue screens of death windows machines come in, kept my boss in steak dinners for quite some time

And yes i have had windows machines for years before the change to mac and unless your a gamer or business requiring accounting or proprietary based software then a mac is the go in fives year i've never had a crash, virus , malware or freeze my mac mini or pro ( yes i have 2) my 3 year mac pro box which is what i edit video with ( Event videographer) eats i7 machines for breakfast and this is no boast bench tested for a case of beer. sweetest beer i have had too

I would class my Mac a guzzi Norge Quirky yes but fast and very cool

and on that i am done javascript:emoticonp('king')
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 02 Jan 2012, 8:18 am

Jimcoleman wrote:i sort of take thats a bit of an insult guys javascript:emoticonp('Wink')

after being a IT sales guy for the last five years and selling PC and Mac. it is the PC that should be the Harley davidson actually i should be fair it should be the OS Geezus microsoft should be sued to the ground for selling such crap to the general public.

Let see, I saw bugger all macs come in for repair yet there was steady stream of slow, virus , malware, blue screens of death windows machines come in, kept my boss in steak dinners for quite some time

And yes i have had windows machines for years before the change to mac and unless your a gamer or business requiring accounting or proprietary based software then a mac is the go in fives year i've never had a crash, virus , malware or freeze my mac mini or pro ( yes i have 2) my 3 year mac pro box which is what i edit video with ( Event videographer) eats i7 machines for breakfast and this is no boast bench tested for a case of beer. sweetest beer i have had too

I would class my Mac a guzzi Norge Quirky yes but fast and very cool

and on that i am done javascript:emoticonp('king')

Fark! Another oil thread................

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 02 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

I authored a 1 minute 720p video that started out as a h.264 .mov
Its finished as a mp4 with all files set as 5,600kbits compression

As you can see there isnt a lot of difference once you get into "high def" specs.
I didn't have a 1080p video I could quickly play with but there is SFA difference at the larger screen size.

All this is fine and dandy until its served by YouTube (or Facebook for that matter) where you have no control over how its converted to their version of flash for playing.
That's where vimeo.com kills YouTube. If you upload as mp4 it is downloaded/played as mp4. Upload as mov its played as mov. Some of other file formats are converted to mp4 I think.
I use 512 X 288 if video is only going on Facebook. 1280 X 720 if uploaded elsewhere.

Drift Innovation HD170 - Page 2 Vidsiz10

Videos authored with Pinnacle Studio 14 using "custom controls" setting.

Hope this helps Smile

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Wed 18 Jan 2012, 6:50 pm

hey 2Wa

house this for a cool mount for the Drift

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:15 pm

That's pretty cool James but I reckon there are safety issues at high speed on the road.
Its the sort of thing Gus would make Laughing

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:32 pm

Gus would make it carbon fibre
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

Ok due to slight altercation with a rogue stone my drift is all better again, how good is this company i emailed them just before xmas saying that i had chipped the lense and could i organise a replacement and who repairs it in australia, Drift Promptly emailed back to say that it was not a replacement item or a spare part , Bugger!! but we will swap it over free of charge how good is that. So buy a drift camera awesome customer service.

been playing with mount locations and i need to reduce how much leverage that the mount has on the tank ( got it sorted ) but I do like this spot as to the engine mount which location caused the stone chip, plus playing with microphone locations

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:11 am

That's pretty steady Jim. Can you post a pic of how its mounted please?
I've always had to much movement mounted on the tank.
Was that the mic cable flapping around? The 1250 make an incredible amount of mechanical noise!
I've had great service from launch Helmet Came in Perth as a local supplier.
If you "like" Drift on FB they answer queries and complaints quickly.
You know I like the product. I'm glad you do too.

You are you using the super clamp at all? I think you said you didn't like it.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm

Here you go

[img]Drift Innovation HD170 - Page 2 Img_1417[/img]

[img]Drift Innovation HD170 - Page 2 Img_1418[/img]

[img]Drift Innovation HD170 - Page 2 Img_1419[/img]

with your suction mount turn the neck around so you have as much leverage that causes the wobble plus i don't shag the tank so its not in the way, all i have to do is find a place for the bloody mic to kill that wind noise tried my mates dead cat wind jammer that I've batting on about it works really good but i reckon out of the wind would be better
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 26 Jan 2012, 4:17 pm

Cool mate thanks for the pix

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS