I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 7:21 pm

After putting some road tyres on my DRZ,  I think I can safely say that the number one bike that belongs in my possession, is a Motard.

BUT...What one???????

I`ve been looking at sites all over the world, and feed back as pros and cons from Magazines and forums, between all on the market, old and new, and  I`m still scratching my head as the "ONE" that belongs in my shed.

I THINK, I`ve narrowed it down to:
                                              2007 KTM 950 SM(carby model, not FI) 
                                              20** KTM 690 SMC R
                                              2012 Husqvarna Nuda 900

There are others like, DUC`s, APRILIA, BMW, big bored so called Motards, but they`re getting close to the Bandit weight, which defeats the whole purpose of a Motard
 
I would love an 20** Aprilia SXV 550...BUT from all readings, don`t as they`re just a race bike. I`ve been reading thinks like valve checks and replace oil every 1000km`s, new piston rings every 6000-10 000km`s, oh, and a fuel tank the size of your hand. Watched a few youtube clips on these bikes..insane things.

Criteria is, has to be able to do everything, and a daily rider. Wet weight, I really don`t want it to be above 175kg`s, but I think I`ll have to give in a little bit.  The Bandit "wet weight" is about 252kg`s. I`m so use to it, that when you get on something light, it feels like a push bike.

I`m leaning toward the 950, but I`m still a bit scared of the name KTM. Some people say awesome, some people cry with pain, I don`t want pain.
I DO NOT WANT AN ADVENTURE BIKE, NOT MY THING.  Motard and Adventure bikes are totally different, Some may say they are...they`re not.
So...got an opinion, love to hear it??????

Anybody had, or know anybody that's had any of the three mentioned?


Last edited by mtbeerwah on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Jimcoleman on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 8:04 pm

Tag will sell you a ktm 690 duke low ks never been a problem reluctant sale

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1174
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 8:12 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:Tag will sell you a ktm 690 duke low ks never been a problem reluctant sale


ha ha ha...I sense sarcasm?????

This is my thing with KTM, some say endless problems, then you talk to someone else, and they say the best thing since sliced bread.
I`m not put`n up with a lemon.
I don`t know is its an old bike thing, that's now been sorted, or its just a pick of the draw kind of thing.
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Jimcoleman on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 8:17 pm

Sarcasm noooo

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1174
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  BanditDave on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 5:55 am

Whatever you do at this point in time, don't take a new V-Strom DL650 for a ride.

Having previously owned an 06 and an 09 Bandit and enjoying both thoroughly, my new Strom is equally as nice, if not slightly better.

Brand new on the road at present for $9990.

Put on road tyres and you have a perfect commuter. Put on dirt tyres, knobbies if you like and your ready for the Dakar.

You can put on expensive panniers, aluminium boxes or in my instance, plastic "safe cases" from Super Cheap for $45 each and they don't look ridiculous.

Even BMW riders will start waving to you. Just be careful not to get too close, they are pretty weird Shocked

I saw a YouTube clip of a BMW Dakar going through its paces with a Strom following along behind and not showing any signs of not being able to keep up.

Best of all, I reckon they haven't gone too 'high tech' like a lot of other bikes and are as fixable in your shed as are Bandits

It would be interesting to know how many V-Strom are on the roads compared to Bandits. Maybe it is like owning a purple Valiant. Having purchased one, everywhere you travel you keep seeing them.

Check out the StromTroopers forum for a huge group of devoted followers of this very nice bike (not the Valiant!)

Finally, the V-Strom is a slightly unusual looking bike and nobody looks out of place on one (looking for a response from Paul on this comment) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 709
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 67
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Dekenai on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 7:03 am

I nursed a chubby for the Nuda 900 but couldn't justify it (got the GSXR1000K9 trackie instead).  But the Husky really did it for me...love the 270 degree parallel twin (an architecture which is way underutilized IMO), but its light, flickable and just plain sweet but insane and nutso at the same time, like all good motards should.
avatar
Dekenai

Posts : 797
Join date : 2009-09-02
Location : Tuggers, ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 7:15 am

BanditDave wrote:Whatever you do at this point in time, don't take a new V-Strom DL650 for a ride.


Hi mate, the last thing I`ll be doing is buying a bike in this category. That bike is an "Adventure Bike",  I don`t want an Adventure Bike. They`re to heavy, and they don`t have the suspension I`m after. The V-Strom 650 wet is 214kg. That's way to heavy to start with

Just to give you an idea on a motard, this thing is about 120kg wet, with 70BHP  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9LT3DqzKQo

I appreciate your opinion, but I want Light, and a Superb Suspension package to go with it.
I don`t really want any more than 175kg wet weight
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 7:27 am

Dekenai wrote:I nursed a chubby for the Nuda 900 but couldn't justify it (got the GSXR1000K9 trackie instead).  But the Husky really did it for me...love the 270 degree parallel twin (an architecture which is way underutilized IMO), but its light, flickable and just plain sweet but insane and nutso at the same time, like all good motards should.


I do like this thing, but its 195kg wet, and that's starting to get out of hand.
I know I said that its on my short list. But I`m a bit torn as to what to do here. Its a superb bike, and is on track for what I want, just needs to loose 20kg.
Hard call.........
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Dekenai on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 7:52 am

I know...painful, a bike a really like but can't justify Smile

You know the 'proper' way to do this is to stick a set of 17" wheels under a YZ450F (106 kg dry)...in the fashion of our motard ancestors!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gladstone/motorcycles/yz-450f-2008/1087201146


Last edited by Dekenai on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Dekenai

Posts : 797
Join date : 2009-09-02
Location : Tuggers, ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Jimcoleman on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 7:56 am

Tag will sell you a ktm 690 duke low ks never been a problem reluctant sale an he will sell it cheap too just 9k heaps of extras power commander, flash exhaust, ever new mirrors, tyres, ventura rack, crash bars and a bucket load of rego full service history and best of all its a KTM not a chainsaw with wheels and a weird name 

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1174
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Dekenai on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 8:00 am

Jimcoleman wrote:Tag will sell you a ktm 690 duke low ks never been a problem reluctant sale an he will sell it cheap too just 9k heaps of extras power commander, flash exhaust, ever new mirrors, tyres, ventura rack, crash bars and a bucket load of rego full service history and best of all its a KTM not a chainsaw with wheels and a weird name 


That chainsaw with a weird name has won over 60 world championships...they have just never been a road bike builder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_Motorcycles
avatar
Dekenai

Posts : 797
Join date : 2009-09-02
Location : Tuggers, ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 8:42 am

Dekenai wrote:I know...painful, a bike a really like but can't justify Smile

You know the 'proper' way to do this is to stick a set of 17" wheels under a YZ450F (106 kg dry)...in the fashion of our motard ancestors!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gladstone/motorcycles/yz-450f-2008/1087201146

 This is the conundrum I face, that mid way point between a full on radical Motard, and something that will also sit on the hi-way and be able to go distance, even if I have to get an after market tank, or carry fuel.
I wouldn`t be able to practically ride a 450 down to Philip IS and back to Gladstone. Not saying it can`t be done, but after gearing my DRZ for the hi-way, it struggles at a 100 for any long period. Below 550cc is a bit of a strain. Although, my goal would be the twisty route down, not the main arteries of Australia. Not into high speed anymore. LOVE the 25-100km/h corner thing, and Motards rule in this area.  
Come on manufactures... make my perfect bike!!!!!!
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  BanditDave on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 9:00 am

I didn't know Stihl made motorcycles Rolling Eyes

Anyway MtB, one of my riding buddies rides a GSX1400 as well as a DR650.

We did a ride last month from Maryborough to Tin Can Bay, Gympie, Woolooga, Tiaro and home. His only complaint of the DR650 is the seat feels like it is made from hardwood and the fuel tank is a little small.

Looks like around 166Kg so getting close to your specs. It easily kept pace with two V-Stroms and a Tiger 800 and Paul is well over 100Kg so the bike is no slouch.

Looks like around $8K brand new so you could probably buy a second one as a spare Very Happy

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 709
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 67
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 9:24 am

BanditDave wrote:

the DR650 seat feels like it is made from hardwood and the fuel tank is a little small.

Looks like around 166Kg so getting close to your specs. It easily kept pace with two V-Stroms and a Tiger 800 and Paul is well over 100Kg so the bike is no slouch.

Looks like around $8K brand new so you could probably buy a second one as a spare Very Happy

I have said on this forum that I was looking at the DR650, and its still at the fore front of my mind.
I`d be like I am with one of my Bandits, and that would be playing endlessly with the suspension to get it to what I want, along with putting on Motard wheels.
There`s a lot of pluses with this bike. Bullet proof, very very easy to maintain, and being oil cooled, very little to go wrong with it.

So...buy one for X amount. Spend $1500 on wheels/tyres. Spend another $1500-2000 on suspension, (I would want to put a donor, or after market higher spec full adjust set up on it, front and back. This is what I want in suspension. High quality full adjustable)

$3500+the bike and a bigger tank..$10 000+ Dr 650....yeah, its doing my head in.
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  reddog on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

Go ktm 690. Anything smaller is too high strung and you'll be in the shed working on it more than riding.


Last edited by reddog on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
reddog

Posts : 2417
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Allanson WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  #Tag on Sun 23 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm

I THINK, I`ve narrowed it down to:
                                              2007 KTM 950 SM(carby model, not FI) 
                                              20** KTM 690 SMC R
                                              2012 Husqvarna Nuda 900


The Gen 4 690 SMC/ Enduro/Duke are all the same platform with different running gear and all have the same mix of euphoria and pain.

Mine betters all of your criteria  EXCEPT as a daily ride. If you have to spend any amount of time at constant speed/ small throttle openings below 100kph your only decision will be - will you kill it or kill yourself. 

Another dark horse would be the new unknackered  Yammy MT 07 non LAMS model. Have a quick squiz at the spec sheets and reviews.
avatar
#Tag

Posts : 609
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Bega

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Sun 23 Aug 2015, 10:31 pm

#Tag wrote:
Mine betters all of your criteria  EXCEPT as a daily ride. If you have to spend any amount of time at constant speed/ small throttle openings below 100kph your only decision will be - will you kill it or kill yourself. 

Another dark horse would be the new unknackered  Yammy MT 07 non LAMS model. Have a quick squiz at the spec sheets and reviews.
 
So...basically the KTM is, ride it hard or don`t ride it at all?
       Just not a practical bike?

I hadn`t thought about the MT-07. Just had a look at specs, and compared against the MT-09.  I`d probably go the MT-09 between the two.
MT-07: 179kg wet   74HP
MT-09: 188kg wet   115HP

Thanks for opinion.
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  #Tag on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 1:45 am

"So...basically the KTM is, ride it hard or don`t ride it at all?
       Just not a practical bike?"

Yep, when your up it or even using just a using little spirit it's an absolute delight. Motard handling, unlimited ground clearance, the best clutch I've ever used, sports bike class brakes and it's comfortable. I run multiple 500k days on our mountain trips with no problems whatsoever.
The R model wasn't available when I bought it but 800 bucks got the povo springy bits to proper WP standard.

But at small throttle openings below 4500rpm it suffers atrocious fuelling/engine chatter. I say it has the worlds ugliest snatch, other owners describe it as teeth shattering/testicle rupturing/brain aneurism inducing. It can be improved from stock with tuning but never eliminated and that's it's biggest achilles heel as far as being a practical bike. A lot of the component failures I've had are probably due to this. With the tuning results I've got I'm hoping that bits will stop tearing themselves to pieces.

I tested an MT09 and was highly impressed but it feels and behaves like a big bike, not a motard. I'll test the MT07 as soon as I can find one, it should be much closer to a motard feel, I hope.
avatar
#Tag

Posts : 609
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Bega

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 8:33 am

Aprilia SXV 550
#Tag wrote:
But at small throttle openings below 4500rpm it suffers atrocious fuelling/engine chatter. I say it has the worlds ugliest snatch, other owners describe it as teeth shattering/testicle rupturing/brain aneurism inducing. It can be improved from stock with tuning but never eliminated and that's it's biggest achilles heel as far as being a practical bike. A lot of the component failures I've had are probably due to this. With the tuning results I've got I'm hoping that bits will stop tearing themselves to pieces.

I tested an MT09 and was highly impressed but it feels and behaves like a big bike, not a motard. I'll test the MT07 as soon as I can find one, it should be much closer to a motard feel, I hope.
What your saying backs up what I`ve read about KTM injection. That's why I listed the KTM 950SM as its carb, and have read the 990 FI is also snatchy.

I`ve ridden the MT-09, and I think its a fantastic bike. But it, and some of the others in my list, are verging on naked bikes.

I really see a true Motard as basically a dirt bike with road tyres on it. Like the photo, Aprilia SXV 550, but its not a practical, but would have one in a heart beat given the right circumstances.
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Ewok1958 on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 8:50 am

mtbeerwah wrote:After putting some road tyres on my DRZ,  I think I can safely say that the number one bike that belongs in my possession, is a Motard.

I know nothing of these things but isn't the DRZ supposed to fit the bill - Suzuki sells it as a "super motard"?

avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3770
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 59
Location : Bemboka, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Jimcoleman on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 8:58 am

mtbeerwah wrote:Aprilia SXV 550
#Tag wrote:
But at small throttle openings below 4500rpm it suffers atrocious fuelling/engine chatter. I say it has the worlds ugliest snatch, other owners describe it as teeth shattering/testicle rupturing/brain aneurism inducing. It can be improved from stock with tuning but never eliminated and that's it's biggest achilles heel as far as being a practical bike. A lot of the component failures I've had are probably due to this. With the tuning results I've got I'm hoping that bits will stop tearing themselves to pieces.

I tested an MT09 and was highly impressed but it feels and behaves like a big bike, not a motard. I'll test the MT07 as soon as I can find one, it should be much closer to a motard feel, I hope.
What your saying backs up what I`ve read about KTM injection. That's why I listed the KTM 950SM as its carb, and have read the 990 FI is also snatchy.

I`ve ridden the MT-09, and I think its a fantastic bike. But it, and some of the others in my list, are verging on naked bikes.

I really see a true Motard as basically a dirt bike with road tyres on it. Like the photo, Aprilia SXV 550, but its not a practical, but would have one in a heart beat given the right circumstances.
oh a hand grenade

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1174
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 9:10 am

Ewok, if the DRZ was a 650, that would be it, I`d be happy. The 400 is too much of a struggle on the hi-way, and is really only urban..

Jimcoleman...you couldn`t have said it better. It is for all intensions a race bike, and is highly strung. Rebuild every 6000km. Oil and valve check every 1000km.

This thing would be nothing but a toy. Don`t` have room for toys at the moment.
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  mtbeerwah on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 11:04 am


Bugger it, I`ve made up my mind.

DR 650, then convert into Motard. Looks like I`ve got to make my own bike again to what I want.

There`s just nothing really on the market with bullet proof reliability in big bore like the DR. Then stick some wheels on it, and latter..much later, play with the suspension to what I want.
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  #Tag on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 5:37 pm

Now that may not be the glamorous decision but I reckon it'll be a decision that you'll never regret
avatar
#Tag

Posts : 609
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Bega

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  paul on Mon 24 Aug 2015, 6:06 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:
Bugger it, I`ve made up my mind.

DR 650, then convert into Motard. Looks like I`ve got to make my own bike again to what I want.

There`s just nothing really on the market with bullet proof reliability in big bore like the DR. Then stick some wheels on it, and latter..much later, play with the suspension to what I want.
Sounds like a plan . 

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7011
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 65
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I WANT/NEED A MOTARD!!!!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum