Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA

5 posters

Go down

Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA Empty Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA

Post  rd400f Sun 05 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm

Hi
Here is some info that might come in handy for someone.

Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA <a href=Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA Std_do10" />

The Standard seat height ...at it,s lowest setting...is 815mm.
The Lust Racing 40mm Lowering links are 187mm centers and lower the seat height to 780mm.
I also made some at 183mm centers and they lower the seat to 795mm.

Thanks
Richard

rd400f

Back to top Go down

Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA Empty Re: Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA

Post  paul Sun 05 Jul 2015, 5:55 pm

Could come in handy thanks ...............why not pop into the introduce yourself thread & tell us a bit about yourself . We don't bite ..............much  Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA Empty Re: Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA

Post  rd400f Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:20 pm

Done Very Happy

rd400f

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:32 pm

rd400f wrote:
The Lust Racing 40mm Lowering links are 187mm centers and lower the seat height to 780mm.

Thanks for the drawing RD, did you do it yourself or find it out in the ether ? anyway, I've added it to my library for future reference.

You mentioned the Lust Racing dogbones were spec'ed for 40mm but your measurement was 35mm, so the missing 5mm got me wondering.  The only thing I could come up with was where you took your seat measurement is not where Lust measured their 40mm.  I've never seen it in any manuals but I believe the measurement should be perpendicular and in line with the rear axle as anywhere forward or rear of this point will have a different reading as you get closer or further away from the swing arm pivot point.

Lowering link dimensions...GSX1250FA Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  rd400f Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:35 pm

barry_mcki wrote:
rd400f wrote:

Thanks for the drawing RD, did you do it yourself or find it out in the ether ? anyway, I've added it to my library for future reference.

You mentioned the Lust Racing dogbones were spec'ed for 40mm but your measurement was 35mm, so the missing 5mm got me wondering.  The only thing I could come up with was where you took your seat measurement is not where Lust measured their 40mm.  I've never seen it in any manuals but I believe the measurement should be perpendicular and in line with the rear axle as anywhere forward or rear of this point will have a different reading as you get closer or further away from the swing arm pivot point.

Hi
I did the Solidworks file myself.
When I measured the result of the Lust Links I just put a straight edge on the seat about where my bum would be the held the bike roughly level.
Then out with the measuring tape.
So there could have been 5mm error easy.

The bike felt great with the Lust links in but I will most likely get the Holeshot/Corbin seat so that is why I went with my homemade 183mm links.
Will make my final decision on which links to use once I have the new seat.
Thanks
Richard

rd400f

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Tue 07 Jul 2015, 8:28 am

As a height challenged Suzuki (non-Bandit) DL650 owner I have just completed a lowering exercise.

BTW In a dark room you wouldn't pick the VStrom seat from a Bandit seat both in comfort and fitting to the bike.

New lowering links on the back achieved 30mm lower.

I have lowered the front by moving the forks 20mm through the triple grips.

To be sure this would not cause an issue I measured the distance from the closest point on the mudguard to the radiator at an angle parallel to the front fork travel to be 160mm.

The fork travel is specified at 150mm so all should be fine.

I also figured that if the forks "bottom out" that it is unlikely I will be still sitting on the seat and I will have more important issues than a damaged bike.

The next step was to visit a motor trimmer.

He succeeded in removing 30mm and finished the seat with a thin layer of "special" foam which he assured me would be very comfortable - he was right!

During the seat reducing operation he had me fit the seat back on the bike and check it for comfort before cutting out more foam. That is what I regard as a customised seat.

The motor trimmer only charged me $50 which is heaps cheaper then a Corbin. A previous motor trimmer in Mackay charged me $150 for my Bandit seat which I still consider quite reasonable.

The final change was to remove the rubber blocks (Cool from under the seat and replace them with sticky backed foam tape around 2mm thick.

The overall reduction I measured as 835 - 65 = 770mm, just right for this Hobbit.

The total cost was $85 for the lowering links (I could have made them myself for almost $0) plus $50 for seat a total of $135.

I went for a 350Km ride yesterday and it was super comfortable

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Tue 07 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

rd400f wrote:
barry_mcki wrote:
rd400f wrote:

Hi
I did the Solidworks file myself.
When I measured the result of the Lust Links I just put a straight edge on the seat about where my bum would be the held the bike roughly level.
Then out with the measuring tape.
So there could have been 5mm error easy.

The bike felt great with the Lust links in but I will most likely get the Holeshot/Corbin seat so that is why I went with my homemade 183mm links.
Will make my final decision on which links to use once I have the new seat.
Thanks
Richard
Superior Saddles in Glenfield. Brilliant job. He has done 2 custom saddles for me. Find him Via Trade me.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down