Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filtering in Victoria

+6
Ulsterkiwi
Hammy
2wheelsagain
Chook
madmax
paul
10 posters

Go down

Filtering in Victoria Empty Filtering in Victoria

Post  paul Wed 25 Mar 2015, 11:04 pm

http://www.bikesales.com.au/content/news/2015/Motorcycle-filtering-for-Victoria-50113
paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Filtering in Victoria Empty Re: Filtering in Victoria

Post  madmax Wed 25 Mar 2015, 11:08 pm

Yeah Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Soon well be able to do it legally Wink
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 25 Mar 2015, 11:11 pm

I'm starting to feel left out in SA now  Sad
paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 25 Mar 2015, 11:16 pm

Well it seems to be spreading
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 25 Mar 2015, 11:17 pm

Hope so , then we can all do it legally  Laughing
paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:30 am

paul wrote:I'm starting to feel left out in SA now  Sad

This was from the Advertiser 28 Jan this year, it has never been illegal to lane filter in SA so long as the traffic is stationary and you MUST indicate every time you change lanes (cross the white line), 

Filtering in Victoria Ej7y10

I was pulled over on the way to work last week and warned for changing lanes 5 times while I  filtered lanes at the corner of Holbrooks and Granges roads  Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Chook on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to be politically correct)
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:43 am

Can we start doing ourselves a favor and use the correct terms? Lane filtering isn't lane splitting. 
We "filter" to the front of between stationary or very slow moving traffic. You split until you cock up between fast moving traffic.

I cringe when media and others use the terms as interchangeable descriptions.  No one has asked for lane splitting to be legalised.
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:57 am

2wheelsagain wrote:Can we start doing ourselves a favor and use the correct terms? Lane filtering isn't lane splitting. 
We "filter" to the front of between stationary or very slow moving traffic. You split until you cock up between fast moving traffic.

I cringe when media and others use the terms as interchangeable descriptions.  No one has asked for lane splitting to be legalised.
Original post edited for political correctness Wink

BTW, in well over 30 years of riding on the road I'd never heard the term lane filtering until someone decided to formally recognise it in the last few years, all movement of motorcycles through traffic, moving or stationary had been called lane splitting since before I started riding

Last edited by Chook on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 26 Mar 2015, 6:59 am

We can do it legally up here in the sunshine state.  The only problem is that no one decided to tell the cage drivers about it.  You get the "Evil Stare" from some of them who think you are doing something illegal.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 26 Mar 2015, 7:42 am

Hammy wrote:We can do it legally up here in the sunshine state.  The only problem is that no one decided to tell the cage drivers about it.  You get the "Evil Stare" from some of them who think you are doing something illegal.

If your seeing evil stares your doing it too slowly Twisted Evil
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 26 Mar 2015, 7:49 am

Chook wrote:
paul wrote:I'm starting to feel left out in SA now  Sad

This was from the Advertiser 28 Jan this year, it has never been illegal to lane filter in SA so long as the traffic is stationary and you MUST indicate every time you change lanes (cross the white line), 

Filtering in Victoria Ej7y10

I was pulled over on the way to work last week and warned for changing lanes 5 times while I  filtered lanes at the corner of Holbrooks and Granges roads  Rolling Eyes

Technically its never been illegal here either. There was never a law written that expressly stated that Lane filtering is illegal. It was the other written laws that made it illegal. It is illegal to share a lane, so you can't overtake inside the same lane as another vehicle. And that you can't overtake on the left. So I figure if you ride down the white line you should be ok Twisted Evil
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 26 Mar 2015, 8:10 am

In SA you can overtake within the same lane (usually only wider single lane roads) but it must be to the RH side
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Sat 28 Mar 2015, 6:39 am

how do you fellas go with the popo and consistent interpretation of the filtering laws?
Here in the Cricket and Rugby centre of the world there can be a bit of variation from officer to officer. The law provides for being able to pass on the right within the same lane and passing on the left if the other vehicles are stopped. The passing on the right in the same lane can even be argued when the centre line is a double yellow (noone should cross).
While most of the local constabulary couldnt care less unless you are riding like a complete knob, some popo just dont like motorcycles doing this and issue tickets accordingly. Its a good way to get people worked up on motorcycle forums in NZ (that and the perceptions around tolerance for exceeding the speed limit).

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 28 Mar 2015, 7:01 am

Ulsterkiwi wrote:how do you fellas go with the popo and consistent interpretation of the filtering laws?
Here in the Cricket and Rugby centre of the world there can be a bit of variation from officer to officer. The law provides for being able to pass on the right within the same lane and passing on the left if the other vehicles are stopped. The passing on the right in the same lane can even be argued when the centre line is a double yellow (noone should cross).
While most of the local constabulary couldnt care less unless you are riding like a complete knob, some popo just dont like motorcycles doing this and issue tickets accordingly. Its a good way to get people worked up on motorcycle forums in NZ (that and the perceptions around tolerance for exceeding the speed limit).
I've never heard of anyone being fined here, our law (in SA) is pretty much the same as you except a vehicle must be turning right to overtake it in the same lane on the left of it.
I was warned for "changing lanes without indicating" a couple of weeks ago, I run into a lot of coppers through work and I've spoken to a few who can't believe he even bothered with that.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 7:50 am

Ulsterkiwi wrote:how do you fellas go with the popo and consistent interpretation of the filtering laws?

Razz We have a Kiwi show on tv, over here, called "Motorway Patrol". (I think)
It always amazes me how lenient the Kiwi police are. 
Aussie police prime directive seems to be to raise as much revenue as possible from the motorist. 
The Kiwi cops seem to like to make everyone have a pleasant day by handing out sage advice and cautions.
Bosco15
Bosco15

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:04 am

Bosco15 wrote:

Aussie police prime directive seems to be to raise as much revenue as possible from the motorist. 
The Kiwi cops seem to like to make everyone have a pleasant day by handing out sage advice and cautions.

Maybe having a TV camera on you makes you a nicer copper! Laughing
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:11 am

Re-Cycled wrote:
Bosco15 wrote:

Maybe having a TV camera on you makes you a nicer copper! Laughing
I was thinking the same, some of the idiots they deal with need a good lap around the ears but they can't do that on camera

I've always found NSW coppers ok, VIC coppers not so ok, SA usually ok with the occasional one that belongs in VIC
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:18 am

madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:We can do it legally up here in the sunshine state.  The only problem is that no one decided to tell the cage drivers about it.  You get the "Evil Stare" from some of them who think you are doing something illegal.

If your seeing evil stares your doing it too slowly Twisted Evil

I was meaning when I come to a halt, and parked between two cars.  I always have a check to see if it's a pretty young girl.  Twisted Evil
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:33 am

Bosco15 wrote:

Lol you should listen to some of the fellas here, Nazi is a word that gets used a lot. I am an immigrant, only been here 7 years but I still chuckle when the natives suggest the police in NZ are harsh, I tend to agree with you.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 28 Mar 2015, 11:09 am

I think I got this filtering thing sorted in my head, but just one question, what do you have to do to get that many cars on the road at the same time  Shocked

Filtering in Victoria Hobart10
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 28 Mar 2015, 11:15 am

Don't even worry about it Barry.  Just stay where you are and enjoy it.  Wink
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 28 Mar 2015, 11:41 am

lol!
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Sun 29 Mar 2015, 1:31 pm

I've always done it in Melbourne. Spitting and filtering.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 29 Sep 2015, 12:51 pm

Finally it's decided, 2 November it's in

Filtering
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content