Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A polite request for information and/or opinions

+3
Bosco15
barry_mcki
GSFBlue
7 posters

Go down

A polite request for information and/or opinions Empty A polite request for information and/or opinions

Post  GSFBlue Tue 15 Jul 2014, 9:29 pm

Hello Forum members,

Firstly, thankyou for the kind welcome I have received over in the Introduction section.

Secondly, I have scoured the Forum and it appears that others have experienced the same characteristic/problem that I have noticed with my bike (GSF 1250 SA). This problem appears to be a hesitancy in the throttle at approximately 2,500-2,800 revs. I don't mean a problem with the throttle linkage or cable. I actually mean that the engine seems unhappy and seems to stutter (for want of a better word) in this particular part of the rev band. It seems to be worse when the bike is hot. Below these revs, I am surprised at the torque of the thing, and above these revs...well..it pulls like a train with an urgency that is scary to blokes like me who have been away from big road bikes for many years.

I believe the bike is in very good condition with all routine servicing having been carried out. As far as I can tell, the only modification to the engine is the fitting of a K&N air filter. The previous owner was a "mature" person who appeared to be very fussy about the maintenance of the bike.

I believe that others may have described this same characteristic as "surging".

Would I be correct in thinking that to a certain extent, this may be the "nature of the beast"? It really doesn't cause me too many dramas when riding, it is more of a nuisance because it just doesn't seem right. Is there anything I could do to either fix the problem or to at least reduce the problem as much as possible?

In relation to this characteristic, I would value the opinions of others who are much more familar with Bandits like mine.

Thanks in advance,

Graham
GSFBlue
GSFBlue

Back to top Go down

A polite request for information and/or opinions Empty Re: A polite request for information and/or opinions

Post  barry_mcki Tue 15 Jul 2014, 9:47 pm

Have a read through this thread, it covers most of the possible solutions to the problem you describe.... link

A polite request for information and/or opinions Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

A polite request for information and/or opinions Empty Re: A polite request for information and/or opinions

Post  Bosco15 Tue 15 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm

Graham.
The hesitation you feel is due to the fuel mapping provided by Suzuki.
To comply with emissions standards, the maps are lean around the rev range at which they are tested, which results in the hesitant feeling that you are experiencing.
More fuel will fix it. A fuel controller of your choice will provide that fuel.
Dobek EJK, Power Commander, etc.
I chose the EJK. $189 Plug and play. No need for dyno runs and adjustable on the fly.
Will also help if you do any mods to the intake/exhaust tract.
No harm in keeping the bike as is, just a little annoying not having that smooth run up the rev range.

Back to top Go down

A polite request for information and/or opinions Empty Thanks

Post  GSFBlue Tue 15 Jul 2014, 10:11 pm

Thank you barry_mcki and Bosco15 for your prompt replies. Bosco15, I believe you come from Newcastle. Did you get your EJK from a Newie retailer? Are you able to tell me which one?

Cheers,

Graham
GSFBlue
GSFBlue

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 15 Jul 2014, 10:16 pm

I'd give a stock filter a crack

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Wed 16 Jul 2014, 12:45 am

2wheelsagain wrote:I'd give a stock filter a crack

+1
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Wed 16 Jul 2014, 6:48 am

GSFBlue wrote:Thank you bary_mcki and Bosco15 for your prompt replies. Bosco15, I believe you come from Newcastle. Did you get your EJK from a Newie retailer? Are you able to tell me which one?

Cheers,

Graham

Dudleys motorcycles in Wyong. 43533730.
He is the Dobeck retail outlet nearby. Will have to order one in for you but gets them overnight. Be prepared for a chat. Dudley is an older gent who has turned his obsession into his business.
He gave Dobeck a huge wrap, saying that their support is excellent.
Also has a mad collection of bikes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 16 Jul 2014, 8:38 am

buford_t_justice wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:I'd give a stock filter a crack

+1

+2, and have the throttle bodies balanced to eliminate that as a possible contributor.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Wed 16 Jul 2014, 8:59 am

An equally polite response.

1. Get a Heltech GI Pro ATRE and select the 5th gear map,

2. Install 0xygen sensor bypass,

3. Do the stage 2 filter mod,

4. Bung in a K & N, or BMC, or …(pipercross?),

5. Install a PC-V,

6. Get a hold of a map and install, (Barry or myself can help you out),

7. Hang on.

The above will yield greatly improved power, (should take you to mid-120’s rear wheel), resolve the  driveability issue that started this discussion, all without impact on fuel economy (which will actually improve), and be totally stealth.  This should be doable for < 500 beer vouchers.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down