Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TB/TPS Woes....

+5
reddog
Hammy
barry_mcki
kewwig
Chunky
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TB/TPS Woes.... Empty TB/TPS Woes....

Post  Chunky Sat 24 May 2014, 1:40 am

I found this forum after googling Bandit TPS problems.. So, I'm here to ask advice...

I bought a K7 (watercooled) Bandit 650..

For the first hundred miles or so, she ran sweet... Then after a while, once the engine was warm, she would start to cough and splutter at 7k revs... And kinda felt like a jetting issue (like when you stuck a stubby Zorst and pod filters on a carbed bike without fettling the needles or jets), but obviously being FI, this shouldn't be the case...

Did the homemade 'Dealer Mode' trick, and got a couple of fault codes... Can't remember what they were now, but at the time we (as in me and my mate at a local bike garage) worked out it was a TPS fault as well as the secondary butterfly.

So, on goes a new (well used) set of TB's that were sourced off of eBay.. Low and behold the problem is now worse... She now barely revs above 2.5k

I'm wondering if anyone has come across this? Is it some kind of limp home mode? Can it be disabled without going to a main dealer? My mechanic mate thinks that the New TPS will need to be calibrated/coded to the bike, but he doesn't have the equipment.

Today, I just got the bike back from yet another mechanic, who has universal diagnostic equipment, but their software doesn't allow them to reset or install TPS on Suzuki's (it's predominately a BMW garage, and their software is aimed at them, but does cover basic diagnostics for all bikes)

I have today ordered a 2013 SDS unit, and I'm really hoping this will help me... But don't know for sure, and won't know until it arrives... Laughing

Any help with my problem or even SDS hints/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Chunky
Chunky
Chunky

http://www.djchunky.com

Back to top Go down

TB/TPS Woes.... Empty Re: TB/TPS Woes....

Post  Chunky Sat 24 May 2014, 1:58 am

I've just read Gus's sticky fuel pump thread, and I'm now wondering if something like that may have contributed to my problems, only to get made worse by me swapping TB's..... Hmm
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 24 May 2014, 2:01 am

Check the fuel pump (aka the Gus fix) and replace the plugs. Replacing the TBs does not require the TPS to be re-set.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 24 May 2014, 2:10 am

Hate to say this after all the money you have spent on new TB's, but this sounds very much like the clogged fuel filter issue.  

I reckon that when you changed your TB's you have stirred up the fuel tank (assumed you took it off) and that has put more crap into the filter making it worse.  

There's been all sorts of stuff found in the tanks, from flaking paint to a big chunk of tree bark, let alone the stuff that is brought in from the servo pumps.

TB/TPS Woes.... Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Sat 24 May 2014, 2:38 am

Luckily the TB's didn't cost me anything... My mate runs a bike shop, and he bought the replacements and kept my old ones for the injectors etc... I helped him out a fair bit while one of his guys was off for a week... so favours for favours.. Wink 

OK, so the SDS set me back quite a few quid, but once I got it, I always have it..  Wink 

I've bought and sold many a bike, and never once come across a blocked filter cause this kind of problem (until I read it on Gus's thread!!)

The tank has been on and off a few times, and she was stood for quite a while before I got it, so the possibility of stale fuel and crap in the tank is very high.  Rolling Eyes 

I will certainly have a look!!

The big drop in max revs before problems from 7k down to 2.5k was instant when the TBs were changed.. Not a gradual build up getting worse, which is what led me to think about a Limp Home mode...

Last edited by Chunky on Sat 24 May 2014, 2:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Sat 24 May 2014, 2:39 am

Oh, and I did new plugs, oil and filter plus air filter soon after the problems started...
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 24 May 2014, 2:48 am

At least you can pull the pump apart and clean it at no cost, this has fixed quite a few bikes over here, good luck.

TB/TPS Woes.... Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Sat 24 May 2014, 2:51 am

barry_mcki wrote:At least you can pull the pump apart and clean it at no cost,  this has fixed quite a few bikes over here, good luck.

Thanks a lot!!  I will certainly give it a go..

I'm also sat here wondering why that problem seems more common over there, (as I said it's not one I've come accross until now)..  I wonder if its yer warmer Temperatures..  Laughing  Laughing 

At the mo, the bike is still in the back of my van from when I picked it up earlier.. And at the mo, it's absolutely peeing it down... so i'm not in a rush to do it...  Laughing  Laughing
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 24 May 2014, 5:16 am

You mentioned it was after the engine was warm. That sounds like regulator rectifier or coils.  Just my 2 pennys worth.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Sat 24 May 2014, 5:44 am

Hammy wrote:You mentioned it was after the engine was warm. That sounds like regulator rectifier or coils.  Just my 2 pennys worth.

Reg/Rec wouldn't (well shouldn't) make it lose power out like it was.. 

Coils, yeah possibly, as I know resistance builds up the hotter they get etc.. But in my experience, that would usually have different symptoms.. I shall however do some resistance checks..

I still think it's something to do with the fueling be it throttle body/TPS related, or lack of fuel supply caused by a dodgy filter..

That said, I'm not an expert, and I'm here asking for advice, so I'm not ruling anything out...
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 24 May 2014, 6:56 am

I hope it is the fuel filter, and that it is similar to the big Bandits. It is an easy repair. Take it out and strip it down . You will soon see if it is clogged.  Best of luck.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 24 May 2014, 12:38 pm

My money is on the pump. If the new TBs made it worse why would you not put the stock set back in?

I'd be syncing the throttle bodies and making sure the TPS is adjusted correctly too. Dhula's post has been used by most of us and works a treat. Good luck getting the bike to run right.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Sun 25 May 2014, 8:15 am

reddog wrote:My money is on the pump. If the new TBs made it worse why would you not put the stock set back in?

Because, at the time I didn't know... and we thought that the new ones had to be set-up/installed etc..  Wink
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 25 May 2014, 11:18 am

As others have started Have you tried the fuel pump fix yet?
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Fri 06 Jun 2014, 4:20 am

reddog wrote:As others have started Have you tried the fuel pump fix yet?

Hiya..

Finally got round to it today...

My SDS turned up yesterday, plugged it in.. No faults...

Stripped the fuel pump, low and behold the little filter was chock full of minute rust particles... Cleaned em out, and now she runs absolutely perfect!!

If only I had tried the fuel filter clean weeks ago!

Thanks for all your help and advice.
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Fri 06 Jun 2014, 8:38 am

Makes me wonder about our fuel too chunky ;

This was the filter bypass a friend came up with because the internal filter on his ZX12r could not be accessed
TB/TPS Woes.... 0e0d8ad9288f08f098421ef34bdd1107_zpsed130fd3[/URL]

And another friend with a VStrom:

"On a similar subject - I spent yesterday arvo installing a fuel filter bypass on the Strom that involved pulling apart the fuel pump and drilling a 3mm hole allowing fuel to bypass the blocked ($400) internal filter and then installing an inline efi filter from a Renault Megane. Works like a cham. Plus, the fuel pump has lost the high-pitched whine it had developed, so I am guessing it is now unler a heap less strain. Total cost for the filter, 50cm of efi fuel line and 4 stainless clamps - $35."
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:00 pm

or you could buy a $75.00 chinese fuel pump, Ewok loves em so much he bought 2
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 06 Jun 2014, 6:51 pm

Chunky, have you addressed the cause of the rust?  Your tank may need proper cleaning or a liner or it will clog the filter again
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 07 Jun 2014, 6:14 am

Isn the tea bag filter doing its job if its totally blocked ? The problem isn't the filter, its the crud in the tank .
The hidden filter seems to get a one -off block which when cleaned does not re-appear , a bit like the mesh has a varnish on it that expands in time blocking the flow .One clean and it gone , la,la la (jingle)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 8:14 am

My cheap replacement pump hss now done 20000kms. But have to agree with above - must find out where the rust is coming from and address it.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 07 Jun 2014, 8:47 am

You can buy a 2 part epoxy rubber, tank liner kit to fix rusting tanks.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Sat 07 Jun 2014, 10:32 am

kewwig wrote:Chunky, have you addressed the cause of the rust?  Your tank may need proper cleaning or a liner or it will clog the filter again

No, I hadn't...  School boy error...  Embarassed  I just stuck it all back together, and had an afternoon of fun... Today, she's started bogging down at around 4-5k again...  Mad  Mad 

gus wrote:Isn the tea bag filter doing its job if its totally blocked ? The problem isn't the filter, its the crud in the tank .
The hidden filter seems to get a one -off block which when cleaned does not re-appear , a bit like the mesh has a varnish on it that expands in time blocking the flow .One clean and it gone , la,la la (jingle)

I completely cleaned the tea bag filter, and it was immaculate when I put it back in, but after refuelling today (before the problems started again) I noticed that there is a lot of corrosion around the filler..

Tomorrow will see me completely strip and clean the tank and filters..   I need to get it sorted as I plan on using her for a very long trip next week..

I'm gonna be doing a Soda Crystal electolysis type set up to completely clean the tank..
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Sat 07 Jun 2014, 10:38 am

I think the main problem, is that prior to me getting the bike, she was laid up for the best part of 2 years... plenty of time for any moisture to corrode the tank..  Then every time I fill up it just washes a load of rust particles into the tank that gets sucked up by the filters... Until I get it sorted tomorrow, it may even be the tea bag filter thats blocked up..

May price up a new one...
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunky Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:36 am

Spent the afternoon completely cleaning out the tank... there was shed loads of rust in there...  Mad  Mad 

Bought a new 'Tea Bag' filter/strainer too.. will chuck that in tomorrow... I got a lovely clip showing the fuel that I syphoned out of the tank.. will upload it tomorrow.. It's not surprising that the bike was running crap..  Laughing  Laughing

Ironically, all the surfaces that I can see don't show any signs of corrosion aside from around the filler... and I can see the amount that;s there causing the build up inside the tank... i'm guessing due to the bike being stood on the side stand that it must all be in the left hand side, out of sight..  Rolling Eyes
Chunky
Chunky

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 08 Jun 2014, 5:07 pm

Dentists mirror then por15 if its corroded. I have used it before and can recommend it
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum