Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to forum, and bandits!

+5
Kiwisteve
sb1250
Ewok1958
Hammy
GTR27
9 posters

Go down

New to forum, and bandits! Empty New to forum, and bandits!

Post  GTR27 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 10:53 am

Hi All, i'm currently in the process of looking around for a 1250S bandit for commute/work/only vehicle duties! Thought i'd join a model specific forum and check out the info you guys/gals have here.

Dont have a huge budget, (7k absolute tops) but a late model bandit looks very realistic in that price range. I really want to get panniers and top box for it, as it will be my only vehicle and i'll need all weather carry capacity (laptop and some other things), plus being able to keep helmet and jacket on the bike while im out doing other things would be a huge plus!

Is there anything specific I should look for when inspecting 1250 bandits? I have a lot of suzuki experience (old GSX, and multiple GSXRs) and have done many, many k's on them and have never had any issues at all. Couldnt really find any specific issues, but figured a bandit forum would know what they were if there was any.

If it helps i'm 6' and around 95kgs (although that number is slowly decreasing - should be mid 80's by the end of the year) so any size specific info would be good also.

GTR27

Back to top Go down

New to forum, and bandits! Empty Re: New to forum, and bandits!

Post  Hammy Wed 05 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

Hi GTR27.. What part of the country are you in ?  I have a couple in mind.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  GTR27 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:10 am

Brisbane. Have spoken to a few sellers, and have a few lined up for inspection. The tough decision is get the fully kitted out ones for 6K (07 models with ~40K), or get a 2010 Model with 10-16K for $6-6.5K and just exhausts on it.

I'm currently leaning towards the later models as come resale time (in around 4-5 years with 40000 more k's on them) they will likely be worth something rather than a pittance. So $500 more now (plus whatever accessories (farkle) I decide to add along the way.

GTR27

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:27 am

Welcome to the forum GTR27.  The only real known "issue" with the Bandits is their tendency to have a fuel pump failure, some at lower k's than others, some not at all.  You can't inspect for it, but if the bike does not pull strongly past 4,000rpm then it could be an issue - see also a fuel pump thread in mechanical.  Cheers.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  GTR27 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:38 am

Pretty much the only issues suzukis have had in the last 15 or so years then. I wonder if they have pumps like the gsxr's, where you can buy the pump itself seperate to the rest of the housing etc (for <$100). As opposed to the whole unit for ~$700

GTR27

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:46 am

Have sent you a private message.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  GTR27 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:53 am

Thanks for all the replies, and so quickly too! Good to see an active forum.

GTR27

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

GTR27 wrote:Pretty much the only issues suzukis have had in the last 15 or so years then. I wonder if they have pumps like the gsxr's, where you can buy the pump itself seperate to the rest of the housing etc (for <$100). As opposed to the whole unit for ~$700

Yep GTR, check eBay for Bandit Fuel Pump.  There is a guy in the USA selling the pump and filter for <$100.  I've put one in mine recently and it's now done 16,500 kms. 

See: https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t4430-cheap-fuel-pump?highlight=fuel+pump
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  GTR27 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 1:42 pm

I think that might be the guy I got one for a GSXR off!

GTR27

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 6:49 pm

Hello and welcome.
I've found the bandit to be a good all rounder. It commutes reasonably well. Touch wood, my bandit hasn't suffered any fuel pump issues (neither did my GSXR). As far as resale......not that flash, but I'm not planning to trade/sell any time in the future. It's a buyers market, good luck!

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  GTR27 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

Yeah i've been amazed by the prices of some late model (2010) low k (<16k) ones that were on the market. They have been snapped up now, but there are still a lot of people who are dreaming (8K upwards is close to new bike money, and there are LOTS below 8K). Sucks for the people that bought new, but makes the bandit an outstanding second hand buy.

Late model, low K for <7K looks entirely possible. Bike shops all seem to want 8K or thereabouts, or the 6-7K ones they have all have a bajillion k's on them. I'll prob end up keeping this bike for a long time, so will eventually have to decide exactly which way to go. I have no doubts the engine/mechanicals is good for 200K+ (i've seen plenty of gsxr's with >100 000 on them, so the much less highly strung bandit should romp those k's in).

GTR27

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Wed 05 Mar 2014, 9:13 pm

G'day GTR27, welcome along.
What's this fuel pump thingy everyone is talking about?  Razz 

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 9:19 pm

Welcome GTR.
You sound like you have done your research and are on the right track.
Great all rounder bike that has been under rated by the bike fraternity, perhaps because of the old style steel tube frame, and as a result some great bikes to be had for relatively little money.
I was lucky enough to pick up a late model fa, that had been well sorted by Baz forum member, complete with full Givi setup for a song.
A bike that is beloved by owners, but not too sort after by most, you can afford to be a little cheeky and throw a few lowball offers out there. Bide your time and I'm sure that you will find a good deal.

Back to top Go down

Post  GTR27 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 9:30 pm

Cheers.

I like to read lots before any major purchases. Being a suzuki man helps, as i've always liked bandits. The market for vehicles sucks the big one at the moment, so def aware that it's a buyers market. I hate lowballing people, but its the game we all have to play. At least i'm honest and not too low ball with offers - not offensive offers anyway. Like I said earlier, generally 10% off is achievable - so in the grand scheme of things on a 6K bike, it's $600. If the owner wants to sell, and i'm there cash in hand, its hard to refuse.

I'm lucky I have some time to play with Smile

GTR27

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 9:35 pm

Dealer was selling mine on ebay, on consignment.
Asking $6900 starting bid, I watched it get no bids for six days.
I rang and made an offer on day seven and picked it up for $5500.
Don't be afraid to be cheeky.  Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post  GTR27 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 10:54 pm

Ha ha bosco......that's a classic. To dealers I dont care about being an arsehole, but its a bit harder to real people (i.e. private sales). I dont care about dealers, but I would hate to rip a normal person off.

GTR27

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 05 Mar 2014, 11:11 pm

Welcome to the forum GTR27  Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 06 Mar 2014, 7:13 am

Welcome to the forum GTR27

Plenty of Bandits come up in your price range from time to time. Depends on how far you wish to travel for a good buy.
Keep an eye out here & at bike sales

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  GTR27 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:42 am

Cheers everyone! I have been reading lots through all the various threads and it definately looks like fuel pump is really the only thing that ever goes wrong with them. I have a few lined up to see on the weekend, so will see what they are like and condition dependant, make an offer.

GTR27

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Thu 06 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

Welcome to the forum. 

I think it's pretty much been said GTR27, but seeing as you are tall compared to me at 5'7",  I'd mention this:

The seat can be adjusted up and down about an inch, by reversing the rubber spacers under the seat, and I know one fellow (not on this forum) who lowered his foot pegs another inch to help his long frame.  Conventional bars make fitting risers easy enough, so the ergos, can be adjusted fairly easily up to a point.  The seat gets to be a bit hard on long ride - more spacing er… padding will also change the height.  

You will not be sorry.  I've had mine about a year and am very happy.  They are a very decent all-rounder.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum