Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home based Servicing

+3
Ewok1958
paul
pdrider
7 posters

Go down

Home based Servicing Empty Home based Servicing

Post  pdrider Sat 28 Dec 2013, 4:50 pm

My previous posts have seen me admit to having no mechanical knowledge whatsoever. I took my GSX1250FA to the Dealership for its first service and paid the fee requested ($249). Now having a copy of the service items (listed below), I feel I could or should be able to do these things from now on and save me the labour fee of $148 for 1.5 hours work. I'm fine with taking it to the local Suzuki dealership for its first service but want to do my own over the coming years. So, my first question is: Is it enough to do just these items every 5000K's as long as everything seems fine with the bike itself. Secondly, is there anything else I should be doing (I'd like to set up a list of items to keep and remember what needs doing. There are some items I don't know how to do Check Brakes, Air Filter, Bearings, throttle cables and how to adjust a chain and what to adjust it too but expect Youtube can help. Now, I'm looking for some guidance on the above items to service (or other things if necessary) from the vast knowledge I see here on this forum every day. I love learning about these things (but have the patience of a flea and dodgey Knees   Laughing  Laughing ). I don't have mechanically minded mates up here on the Sunshine Coast either and whilst I could keep taking it to the dealers I just want to learn some of the basics. Lastly what oil should I use (dealer used Motul 5100 Ester).

Sorry for the longish questions but I am keen to learn and get braver at some of this. Just don't want to end up with bits of my beloved GSX over the floor of the garage and having to call out a mechanic!!!!

Even if it's too hard to explain over the forum just point me in the direction of some good info or any courses and I'm off. Assuming I will have to learn to take the fairing off too.

Dealer service items:

• Oil and Filter
  • Air Cleaner
  • Chked and Adj Throttle Cable
  • Coolant levels checked and leaks
  • Wheel bearings checked
  • Tyre Pressure, and wear
  • Lights instrument panel etc
  • Steering for free operation
  • Forks checked
  • Brake pads chked
  • Brake fluid
  • Lubricated and adjusted drive chain

Thanks for your input to my  questions.

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Home based Servicing Empty Re: Home based Servicing

Post  paul Sat 28 Dec 2013, 5:05 pm

Your handbook has the servicing requirements in the service schedule section ..................mostly simple enough except for maybe the 24,000 km major services  & 2  year fluid changes .If it's under warranty , you will need a  qualified mechanic to do it  or you will void your warranty . ( you can always download a workshop manual or buy a paper copy )

Last edited by paul on Sat 28 Dec 2013, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm

You may want to add spark plugs to the list of service items.  They are changed every 12,000kms (unless of course you put iridium plugs in).  Standard plugs are about $5 each but it's a slowish job even for a dealer so you can expect to pay for 1.5hrs labor (>$100) each time.  A flexible socket drive is on my list to buy next trip to Supercheap Autos just for this job, as none of the four plugs has direct access for a socket extension.  It is a fiddly job but definitely 'do it yourself doable'.

The air cleaner is dead simple - all you need is a #5 phillips head screw driver with a long shaft.  It takes less than 10 minutes.

Oil filters changes can be made simpler by using K&N filters which have a 17mm nut shape molded to the front of them, making it simple to tighten/loosen them.  

cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 5:59 pm

Firstly, good on you for wanting to learn to maintain your bike yourself.  For whatever reason,  saving money,  the joy of learning and putting into practice new skills or the biggest for me  knowing that the job was done with care and correctly.  

Secondly,  most things on the list that your mechanic charged an hour and a half labour for are just checks that should be made to a new bike to ensure that everything is still as it should be.  Doubtful that any needed any adjustment,  but possible and good to know that the dealer has done it. 
 The oil and filter and air filter were the only real work carried out and work that you can learn to do very easily.  Some basic tools and a oil filter wrench (very cheap) and you are on your way. 
Good to see that the dealer used top quality oil. Full synthetic oil (oil made in a chemical process)does the same job as mineral (everyday oil sucked out of the Earth and refined) but breaks down less readily and gives your motor the best lubrication you can get.  There are different schools of thought on this subject, but why skimp on the life blood of your expensive engine I say. 
There are varying skill levels of tasks that should be done to maintain your own bike.  The good news is that the most basic ones like oil changes and lubrication of the chain are some of the most important ones for a long and hassle free relationship with your bike. 
The guys on this forum are a wealth of knowledge and experience and are willing to help. Don't stress about asking specific questions.  And remember,  the only silly question is the one that you don't ask when you should.  
You could even enroll in a tafe course if you are super keen.

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Sat 28 Dec 2013, 9:05 pm

That list of items is computer generated, an not necessarily what the dealer actually did! I've done all except the first service on the Bandit. I'm not a mechanic, but all the servicing on the Bandit has been relatively simple. There is a link somewhere in this forum for a full workshop manual, and the check list is in your owners manual. The owners manual has basic how-to's, and the only "special" tool you will need is a torque wrench. If you buy K&N oil filters, they have a hex for a 17mm ring spanner. Supercheap have a great selection of tools, and accessories (oil drain pans, funnels etc). As the others have mentioned.......just ask, coz there's plenty of advice here.

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 28 Dec 2013, 9:45 pm

Its all do it yourself if you have the time and collect the tools along the way.

Not wanting to start an oil thread but I reckon you're running full synth too early. I switched to semi synthetic at 12k as the engine was still improving. Im still only running semi (yamalube) at 35k but that's a whole other debate Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Sat 28 Dec 2013, 10:11 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:

Not wanting to start an oil thread but I reckon you're running full synth too early.  I switched to semi synthetic at 12k as the engine was still improving.  Im still only running semi (yamalube) at 35k but that's a whole other debate Laughing

and I won't help you along in this not-oil thread....

My oil 06 has 90k on it, so reckon running semi-synthetic (mogul 5100 at the moment) in it should be ok  pirat 
My rebuilt KLR though I'm back to dino oil for at least the first  5k. Seems to be running orright  king

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  pdrider Sun 29 Dec 2013, 1:38 pm

Thanks Folks

Had forgotten about spark plugs woops. Found a youtube set of videos from a guy that covers off many of the basics. I have two bikes so will play around with servicing the DR650 and not the GSX until I have tried some things first.

Looked at Tafe courses but nothing local that allows evenings etc but did find that Toprider run a 3 hour basics session on Gold Coast so might save up for their next one in Feb. Anyone done it before? 3 hours doesn't seem long but its better than nothing as it allows practical learning not just out of a text book. I will look for the link to the service manual too.

I have some tools but suspect most are cheap and once they brake I will upgrade some of the spanners etc.

Not sure what oil to use if the Motul 5100 is too early and it's in there now. What should I use then? Did a search on oil across website and yest looks complicated. I will stick with what's in there for now unless you all tell me it should come out but I would have thought the dealer would be using Suzuki recommended oils for the service...... OK should never assume I know.

Thanks for the advice guys, most helpful and motivating.

pdrider

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 29 Dec 2013, 2:10 pm

5100 is semi synthetic ....................I ran mineral oil until 6000 km ( commuting peak hour & trips ) to let the motor bed in first , then went to motul 5100 ( 10w50 ) .\ semi is probably better than fully synthetic I suppose at this stage if that's what he used .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sun 29 Dec 2013, 4:03 pm

www.cykel.com.au/.../Motul_Tech_Guid...

As stated, there are various schools of thought on oils. Don't stress.  Motul 5100 is good.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum