Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Scala comms system for me?

+6
Dekenai
T-Leaf
Mpottsy
stevemcc
madmax
GGiant
10 posters

Go down

Which Scala comms system for me?  Empty Which Scala comms system for me?

Post  GGiant Fri 21 Jun 2013, 9:57 am

I am looking at picking up a Scala comms system.

Now it's my old riding mate that started this. He follows me everywhere on his very nice R1200R! and he wants to talk to me.

He wants to tell me "look at that, Geeez!", "slow down", "time for a thermos"... you know.

I have been also thinking of moving on from my paper maps to a STRIKE BT GPS - now this is only a maybe as I like my maps.

I have had a look at the Scala website and well.... its all a bit tricky to understand.

If I just wanted to communicate old mate/me  (possibly hear the STRIKE BT...maybe) would any knowledgeable bandits out there recommend the right Scala for me (and my mate)?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Which Scala comms system for me?  Empty Re: Which Scala comms system for me?

Post  GGiant Fri 21 Jun 2013, 10:14 am

Ah, I also meant to ask how the comms is activated.

Do you have to press a button or such to speak or is the channel open all the time?

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 21 Jun 2013, 10:29 am

I have a Scala G4 pair. they work ok between themselves but we had some issues when we tried pairing am older Q2 set to them as well as a Tom Tom GPS. (all this is meant to be possible)

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t2541-scala-rider-g4?highlight=scala

Recently one of the speakers failed and was crackling in my ear, so I replaced it with a G9 base. The G9 base fits both the G4 and the newer G9 it has interchangeable mics, from the boom mic to a smaller stick on mic for full face helmets.

Apart from that I believe the G9 only offers more channels, for a larger group of riders.

If you can afford it I buy the G9, although there might be some ripper deals out there on the older G4

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Fri 21 Jun 2013, 3:16 pm

Thanks MM.

Do you know about the corded and boom type fixed mike? These seem to be alternatives arrangements for the G4.

Maybe the flexible corded would be easier to fit in the helmet.

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 21 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

The G4 base couldn't be changed between the two, you had to specify which one you wanted before you ordered. The G9 base comes with one of each and are interchangeable.
I think the G4 base has been discontinued as a replacement part as the G9 base fits both units.

I found the small wired Mic fits better in my helmet, where there isn't much room in front of my mouth

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Fri 21 Jun 2013, 5:50 pm

I don't know just how much these SENA headset intercoms are (a couple of hundred bucks??) - but a mate and I bought some cheapies of eBay for about $40 each. Just looking they have gone up a bit now.  they are pretty good. they work between bikes up to a few hundred metres - have the same problems of wind noise when riding at 100 kmh.

I have bought a second one for myself as I got a second helmet. Pairs with the mobile and I can listen to music when I want and answer phone calls on the go!

Are these SENA ones worth the $300 or more when there are others for less than $50 each??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-500m-BT-interphone-bluetooth-motorcycle-motorbike-helmet-headset-intercom-New-/200668627187?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb8c840f3
stevemcc
stevemcc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Thu 27 Jun 2013, 10:57 am

I have a Sena system and  Garmin Zumo GPS. I can play music and get directions no problems. The Sena is very easy to use just a quick tap on the jog wheel to talk to you comms partner or have the system set to Vox. The Sena even has the option of adding a bluetooth hub to fit a Radio. The problem with any Comms is they only work with their own kind ie Sena to Sena, Scala to Scala etc unless you use the radio option. Both the Sena and G4 have the corded and boom mike options available. I currently use the corded Mic as it is less intrusive and fits the full face helmet better.

I have had a Scala G4 but had major pairing issues and drop outs so got shot of it very quickly. As for price the Sena and Scarla seem to be the same price the same goes for the interphone. I personally believe that they are work the money the battery life on the Sena is fantastic the bluetooth connection has never been a problem and easily connects to three devices. I have found them to be invaluable when touring with the wife on separate bikes and when she pillions (She gets  to listen to music and stops bothering me Twisted Evil)

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Thu 11 Jul 2013, 7:37 pm

Thanks all bandits. I have gone for the Scala G4 and will report how it goes.

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  T-Leaf Fri 12 Jul 2013, 2:20 am

For what it is worth I recently purchased a set (2) of the Sena SMH5. A small bike shop miles out of my area (Toronto Canada) had a 4 hr 50% off everything sale and someone posted about it on the local forum. Needless to say the store was inundated with orders. I picked up the pair of Sena headsets for $120 delivered to my door!The group I tour with was already using Sena's so I didn't really look at other brands.
I listen to music as I ride as I find ear plugs throw my balance off.
I was going to give one set to a riding buddy but found the set up on the helmet does not make moving the units easy and as I usually change between several helmets, I would rather have 2 of them set up.
On my recent trip, 2 weeks 5 Riders we all had Sena's (3 with the newer SMH10 and 2 with SMH5)
Each unit can pair with up to 3 other units. You communicate with rider 1 by tapping once, rider 2 by tapping twice and rider 3...3 times. There is no "Call All" function. (I wish there was)
While talking to rider 1 for example you could tap twice to add rider 2 for a 3 way conversation but we had difficulty getting this to work on a consistant basis.
I do not have it paired up with my GPS as I do not care to hear the directions.
I do have it paired to my phone as that is the music source and it works like a charm. If the bluetooth on your phone is on they pair right away, tap and hold for a sec and the music starts.
The volume dial is easy to use and a simple push and turn controls the skip function forward and reverse. (I am pretty sure anyone driving behind you thinks you are crazy if you are skipping through songs)
I am notified of incoming messages to the phone by a ding. A phone button connects you to the voice command control of your phone and incoming calls are answered with a tap on the unit.
On the trip I used my Shuberth S1 helmet. Supposed to be one of the quietest helmets, it is not but it is good. (The helmet is massive though.) With it I found both the sound quality and clarity of the music and communication excellent and others could hear me clearly.
(One rider had a moto cross style "Adventure" helmet. The open vents at the front of the mouth piece had to be closed or covered to hear him talk.)
Back home I use a Scorpion EXO1000. I remember why i brought the Schuberth, the Scorpion is loud! as a result the sound quality isn't quite as good and the speaker placement was not as optimal. The Scorpion does not come down as far and has a narrower mouth guard and as a result there is some wind noise when I talk to others.

Sorry for the wall of text.
T-Leaf
T-Leaf

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Fri 12 Jul 2013, 8:20 pm

Thanks T-Leaf. Some practical feedback on usage of the Sena.

I (we! my riding mate) just want to be able to communicate safely, effectively, but may discover other uses GPS etc.

I hadn't thought of swapping the unit to other helmets, but I'll just fit the G4 Scala to my touring helmet (Shoei) and leave it on. I will only need it on a trip (I think). I am getting one with a cable linked microphone and not the boom mike. I reckon it should be pretty good so long as bugs and gremlins keep away.

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Fri 26 Jul 2013, 4:57 pm

Have any bandits fitted a Scala Rider G4 to a Shoei TZX thanks?

Not sure if I should use the screw-on clamp or stick on? Both methods look a bit tricky and don't want to wreck the helmet.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 26 Jul 2013, 7:18 pm

GGiant wrote:Have any bandits fitted a Scala Rider G4 to a Shoei TZX thanks?

Not sure if I should use the screw-on clamp or stick on? Both methods look a bit tricky and don't want to wreck the helmet.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers GG

Not sure about Shoei helmets but I've always gone with the screw clamp mount on my Shark helmets. It doesn't damage the helmet.

If your worried check if the side padding can be eased away from the helmet shell. You don't need a lot of room, just need to check that the padding isn't glued there or such.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 27 Jul 2013, 6:45 am

GGiant wrote:Ah, I also meant to ask how the comms is activated.

Do you have to press a button or such to speak or is the channel open all the time?

Thanks

You can optionally go PTT (press to talk) or VOX (voice operated transmission).  In VOX mode the mic line is monitored for a signal, and when detected, enables the transmission.  There may well be other options, the manual is available for download from Scala.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Sat 27 Jul 2013, 6:36 pm

Here's a question, do these units use a UHF Frequency, as in the same frequency as a UHF two way radio mounted in a car or truck?

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 28 Jul 2013, 7:15 am

Kiwisteve wrote:Here's a question, do these units use a UHF Frequency, as in the same frequency as a UHF two way radio mounted in a car or truck?

Wouldn't matter if it did; one is digital (i.e. Bluetooth) and the other is analog.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Sun 28 Jul 2013, 7:39 am

Ah, ok

Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:27 am

Dekenai wrote:
Kiwisteve wrote:Here's a question, do these units use a UHF Frequency, as in the same frequency as a UHF two way radio mounted in a car or truck?

Wouldn't matter if it did; one is digital (i.e. Bluetooth) and the other is analog.

In any case the UHF is around 800MHz and Bluetooth 2000MHz so you may be able to communicate with your oven Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sun 28 Jul 2013, 7:29 pm

Kiwisteve, I think they might be VHF - somewhere like the old CB.......I think, anyway. The G4 is supposed to 'intercom' for 1.6 miles and I guess this would need to be line of sight.

Thanks all, for help re the scala G4.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Tue 30 Jul 2013, 7:09 pm

VHF is the marine radio band. The old CB's were on the AM band.
Interesting thoughts tho. Cheers for that.
 I was just wondering, as my handbrake doesn't ride at all, & I was wondering if these comms systems might be able to tune into the UHF in my 4wd.

Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Tue 30 Jul 2013, 7:14 pm

Oh, just thinking about it, I don't need to talk to the handbrake that much anyway! Laughing

Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 30 Jul 2013, 7:53 pm

Dekenai wrote:

Dekenai: Wouldn't matter if it did; one is digital (i.e. Bluetooth) and the other is analog.

Deke's is correct, according to the website I was looking at, which states:

Spectrum
Bluetooth technology operates in the unlicensed industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) band at 2.4 to 2.485 GHz, using a spread spectrum, frequency hopping, full-duplex signal at a nominal rate of 1600 hops/sec. The 2.4 GHz ISM band is available and unlicensed in most countries.

Interference
Bluetooth technology's adaptive frequency hopping (AFH) capability was designed to reduce interference between wireless technologies sharing the 2.4 GHz spectrum. AFH works within the spectrum to take advantage of the available frequency. This is done by the technology detecting other devices in the spectrum and avoiding the frequencies they are using. This adaptive hopping among 79 frequencies at 1 MHz intervals gives a high degree of interference immunity and also allows for more efficient transmission within the spectrum. For users of Bluetooth technology this hopping provides greater performance even when other technologies are being used along with Bluetooth technology.

Range
Range is application specific and although a minimum range is mandated by the Core Specification, there is not a limit and manufacturers can tune their implementation to support the use case they are enabling. 
Range may vary depending on class of radio used in an implementation:

• Class 3 radios – have a range of up to 1 meter or 3 feet
  • Class 2 radios – most commonly found in mobile devices – have a range of 10 meters or 33 feet
  • Class 1 radios – used primarily in industrial use cases – have a range of 100 meters or 300 feet

So, although it operates in the upper reaches of the UHF frequency band (300MHz - 3GHz), you would not be able to communicate with a 4WD UHF system, as analogue technology does not incorporate adaptive frequency hopping, a technique designed to allow the digital technology to exist in the same band, but not interfere with (or suffer interference from) analogue devices.  Simple huh?
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Tue 30 Jul 2013, 8:37 pm

[*]
I thought Bluetooth was for very close range applications as in Class 1, 2 3 as above. So I expect the Scala G4 uses this for GPS etc but......

the intercom on the Scala G4 is specified as good for 1.6 miles so this wouldn't be Bluetooth would it confused  Question 

Back to top Go down

Post  SuzySuzuki Tue 30 Jul 2013, 9:23 pm

We use hand signals. Afterall, husband bought his bike so he wouldnt have to listen to me yapping in his ear...Shocked

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[Which Scala comms system for me?  Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 30 Jul 2013, 9:50 pm

GGiant wrote:[*]
I thought Bluetooth was for very close range applications as in Class 1, 2 3 as above. So I expect the Scala G4 uses this for GPS etc but......

the intercom on the Scala G4 is specified as good for 1.6 miles so this wouldn't be Bluetooth would it confused  Question 
[*]

The range of Bluetooth technology is application specific.  The Core Specification mandates a minimum range of 10 meters or around 30 feet, but there is no set limit and manufacturers can tune their implementations to provide the range needed to support the use cases for their solutions.  
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Wed 31 Jul 2013, 6:21 am

I see!  Okay, veeeeery interesting stuff, thanks Ewok

GG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum