Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Look what followed me home last week !

+2
gus
STI-REX
6 posters

Go down

Look what followed me home last week ! Empty Look what followed me home last week !

Post  STI-REX Thu 13 Jun 2013, 3:24 pm

Well after seeing Gus and his TL1000s a couple of weekends ago I was out aimlessly  wandering the local shops and did a bit of impulse buying as QLD transport have said I can keep my bike license despite the impairment in my right arm from the injury

The result being 1 ZX9R F1  MY2002

Look what followed me home last week ! ZX900RNinja_zps11caa553

I have always had a soft spot for these especially the F1-F2 models ( 02-03 )

This one has only 25,000km's on the clock but was stored outside for a period of time of non use so needs a little bit or TLC and some paint touching up on the wheels and swingarm and the ventura rack

The crappy front indicators were replaced as part of the rwc by the dealer

It runs fine and does everything it says on the tin and still feels nice and tight  

It came with full service history but you can never be too sure if it has actually been done so

Since buying it I have done a full service  including valve clearance check, oil,filter, cleaned the carbs reset the float heights cleaned the chain + sprockets + greased and lubed everything 

Changed the muffler to a Brand new yoshi RS3 with baffle fitted as the one fitted was far too noisy ( race spec can  no insert capabilities ) solely due to this

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2013/4/17/australias-toughest-hooning-laws-passed

And being STERNLY told to quieten the bike down by a local cop 2 days into ownership whilst driving inside the speed limit at 3500rpm

Loving it so far and it is surprisingly comfortable and roomy for a sports bike

SOOOO Glad to be back on a bike even in the rain ! Very Happy  Cars suck

Back to top Go down

Look what followed me home last week ! Empty Re: Look what followed me home last week !

Post  gus Thu 13 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

Very Happy
New you wouldn't last without a bike .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Look what followed me home last week ! Empty Re: Look what followed me home last week !

Post  Jimmy the Boy Thu 13 Jun 2013, 4:27 pm

WOW!! That was a short layoff. Great to have you back mate. Looks in really good nick & no kms. I was sad to see you sell the bandit ( someone scored there ), so great news about your licence. I hope you have enough strength in that arm to hang on to it. I imagine once you get into the higher rev range it would pull a sailor off your sister. Good on ya mate, hope this really lifts your spirits. Jim. ps Sounds ( very quietly ) like QLD is going back to the years of Joh with the exhaust.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 4:52 pm

NICE! I had a 2000 model. Pretty comfy for a big bore sports bike!

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  STI-REX Thu 13 Jun 2013, 5:25 pm

gus wrote:Very Happy
New you wouldn't last without a bike .

Yes you are to blame :lol:the sound of the TL and the smell of motorcycle was enough to drive me nuts ( spent all afternoon looking at bikes on bike sales after you left )
Also you meet the nicest people on a bike

A wise man once told me " There no strangers on bikes just good mates I haven't met yet "

Jimmy the Boy wrote:WOW!! That was a short layoff. Great to have you back mate. Looks in really good nick & no kms. I was sad to see you sell the bandit ( someone scored there ), so great news about your licence. I hope you have enough strength in that arm to hang on to it. I imagine once you get into the higher rev range it would pull a sailor off your sister. Good on ya mate, hope this really lifts your spirits. Jim. ps Sounds ( very quietly ) like QLD is going back to the years of Joh with the exhaust.

The bloke that bought the bandit was of similar age and bought it so he could take his GSX1100sxz Katana off the road to rebuild it
So it went to a good home anyway

I rode it in the rain for about 3 hours the day after I serviced it ,Just couldn't help myself

Just need to repaint the wheels and the swing arm ( might have to use Gus's how to tips )

Hope it doesn't ruffle too many feathers if I hang around here with the wrong make ? ( much better content than other places )
STI-REX
STI-REX

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 6:19 pm

Max Power
144 hp 105 kW @ 11000 rpm
Max Torque
101 Nm @ 11000 rpm
Transmission  /  Drive
6 Speed  /  chain
Front Suspension
46mm fully adjustable cartridge fork, preload compression and rebound adjustable.
Rear Suspension
Bottom-Link Uni-Trak rising rate mono shock, preload compression, rebound and ride height adjustable.
Front Brakes
2x 310mm discs 4 piston calipers
Rear Brakes
Single 220mm disc 1 piston caliper
Front Tyre
120/70 ZR17
Rear Tyre
190/50 ZR17
Seat Height827 mm
Dry-Weight
186 kg
Fuel Capacity 
18 Litres

That's what the spec sheet says!  How doe sit feel compared to the Bandit.  We gotta have a ride report!
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 13 Jun 2013, 6:25 pm

good to hear you can still ride,

how does the position go for your arms and wrists? I`m guessing it can`t be to bad considering your condition!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  STI-REX Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:29 pm

• Look what followed me home last week ! Icon_multiquote_off
  • Look what followed me home last week ! Icon_post_quote_en

Look what followed me home last week ! Empty  Ewok1958 Today at 6:19 pm
Max Power
144 hp 105 kW @ 11000 rpm
Max Torque
101 Nm @ 11000 rpm
Transmission  /  Drive
6 Speed  /  chain
Front Suspension
46mm fully adjustable cartridge fork, preload compression and rebound adjustable.
Rear Suspension
Bottom-Link Uni-Trak rising rate mono shock, preload compression, rebound and ride height adjustable.
Front Brakes
2x 310mm discs 4 piston calipers
Rear Brakes
Single 220mm disc 1 piston caliper
Front Tyre
120/70 ZR17
Rear Tyre
190/50 ZR17
Seat Height827 mm
Dry-Weight
186 kg
Fuel Capacity 
18 Litres
That's what the spec sheet says!  How doe sit feel compared to the Bandit.  We gotta have a ride report!

Well compared to the bandit it feels a bit more linear  in the lower reaches (but still pulls like a train from 3000rpm )gets busy around 5 grand and absolutely bonkers from 7500rpm all the way to redline ,power wheelies are almost too violent in first and just nice in 2nd didn,t try 3rd ( Don't believe in clutching up the front )

It feels smaller and steers with an accuracy that seems very subliminal in the front end and the front seems to glide over road imperfections without any shake but then again I am not pushing it too hard due to rain and gaining confidence in the arm and shoulder

I need to spend some time on the rear shock settings ( will replace when money allows ) and change the fork oil

Apples and oranges compared to the bandit
Bandit = big lounge chair with  awful seat stacks of torque  adequate handling and oodles of character

ZX9= cruise missile surprisingly comfortable low screen takes the weight off the arm wind hits me at upper chest level but I am 6'3", nil buffeting of the helmet , seems happy at 50 km/h or silly speeds very civilised around town

zx9 induction noise is very addictive , fairing takes very little effort to remove for servicing , very light to paddle around when seated,AWESOME headlight almost daylight effect with really good depth  ,cable clutch loads of feeling

Instruments need better lighting  , and it sounds like most kwaka's of this era ( 11 yrs old ) just like a diesel at idle ( big shim clearances as spec'd ) and rattly clutch ( just need to balance the carbs )
but once moving it sounds just fine , very surprisingly it is better to ride with the new yoshi with baffle fitted than with the straight race yoshi seems to have more torque and picks up faster ( maybe it needed a jet kit for the straight race pipe ) and much smoother

mtbeerwah
good to hear you can still ride,
how does the position go for your arms and wrists? I`m guessing it can`t be to bad considering your condition!QUOTE

It actually seems alright so far but I will build into it slowly along with the physio and going to the gym the arm seems to be coming along better than they told me it would
The Dr just shook his head when i went in this week he reckons I'll never learn

I have to go to the gym daily and have been using a gyro ball and theraputic putty at home along with stretching exercises

Just don't want to hit the ground any time soon as I won't be popular especially at home

Now I just need to find some work to pay for new bits n pieces

Going to ride to Dayboro this weekend (mother in-laws  B'day) that will test it a bit but i can always stop and rest if needed
STI-REX
STI-REX

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum