Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Sports bikes

+6
Dekenai
dhula
reddog
Sloth_27
2wheelsagain
Truck bandit
10 posters

Go down

Modern Sports bikes Empty Modern Sports bikes

Post  Truck bandit Fri 24 May 2013, 8:55 am

Can anyone tell me why all the current top 4 Superbikes from Japan all have a cable operated clutch lever?

I thought a hydraulic operated clutch lever (much like the Bandits have had for years!) is more modern. I was shocked when I took a closer look at the bike store and saw this. Cables can break and stretch and the lever is hard to adjust for comfort.

I know they are all competing with each other for market share and want to make them cheaper than the others, but i'd rather them get the simple things right first. They seem so hung up on promoting them with ride mode A B C 1 2 3, anti wheelie, computer controlled stuff and they can't give the buyer the better components.

Even on the road, you can still ride a Superbike pretty sedately. The need for Traction Control is overkill in my book!

Back to top Go down

Modern Sports bikes Empty Re: Modern Sports bikes

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 24 May 2013, 10:17 am

1. Weight saving (master/slave cyl fluid, hoses etc)
2. Feel
3. Personal adjustability
4. When was the last time you saw a post about a busted clutch cable?

My FZ1 has a cable clutch and it gives me much better feel at the lever.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Sat 25 May 2013, 6:28 pm

BMW S1000RR also has a cable clutch.

The same factors apply to both anyway, hydro lines can split/expand and the fluid needs replacing, so maintenance is similar.

It is primarily a cost and weight factor. BMW said it was purely to save weight.
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 25 May 2013, 8:09 pm

Normally cable operated require much less force compared to hydraulic too.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 25 May 2013, 9:52 pm

Lever effort relies on the working ratio between both ends regardless of how it is worked (cable or hydraulic)

Cables cost less to make, fit, repair, replace,
They weigh less,
They fail less often (well the modern ones do anyways)
When a cable does go it causes less headaches than hydraulic and you can bodgie it up to get home using a boot lace if you have to.

Even after saying all that I don't mind which one I use so long as it's adjusted properly and works like it's supposed to.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 26 May 2013, 8:06 am

There is also a tendency for hydraulic clutches to lack 'feel' compared with a cable clutch
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 26 May 2013, 8:40 am

I`ll stick with hydraulic..it works for my brakes!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Sun 26 May 2013, 9:07 am

I would have killed for a cable clutch when I static dropped the Bandit last year at Tamborine and snapped the clutch lever off. At least cable gives you the option of a jerry rig to get moving instead of towing. Hydraulics are self adjusting unlike cables. Cables give you the option of adjusting for feel that hydraulic doesn't unless the hydraulic system has an adjustable throw rod.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Truck bandit Fri 31 May 2013, 10:04 am

Thanks for all you insiteful comments guys, it's got me thinking from a different angle.

Well done to the forum.

In my opinion , i think the BMW S1000rr is probably the pick of the bunch. BMW always put out quality vehicles for the road. But it's good to see that Suzuki may be back in MotoGP next year.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 31 May 2013, 11:17 am

Truck bandit wrote:Thanks for all you insiteful comments guys, it's got me thinking from a different angle.

Well done to the forum.

In my opinion , i think the BMW S1000rr is probably the pick of the bunch. BMW always put out quality vehicles for the road. But it's good to see that Suzuki may be back in MotoGP next year.

y'reckon, talk to some K1200 owners,
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 31 May 2013, 12:32 pm

More info Dek ,can't find a k1200 owner .Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 31 May 2013, 1:41 pm

gus wrote:More info Dek ,can't find a k1200 owner .Very Happy

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38834

for starters, you won't have any problem finding others
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 31 May 2013, 8:26 pm

Apparently that bike is shit on the road. I would be riding all the other bikes out there. I haven't ridden any of the latest models, but previous suzukis and Hondas show they are good road bikes. My biggest issue being 6 foot is whether I could fit on a modern bike, they are making them so small. The gsxr750 I rode popped my leg out of its joint less than 50 m from the dealership. I did like that bike though, it handled well and put a smile on my dial. Pity the pillion seat was minimal. The wife wouldn't have been happy
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Corsa79 Fri 31 May 2013, 9:15 pm

I agree with bikes getting smaller. Im over six foot and was surprised how small the bandit is when I picked it up. My step dad has a VFR1000 85model I think. Same model was used on Bathurst when they still had production bike racing. It makes my bike look small but im pretty shore was fastest bike for a bit. Its a bike I would still like to have a ride of. Only a small number where bought into Australia as they where same specs as the superbike rothham Honda. Actual its being pillion on it that stirred up my passion for bikes.
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Post  Truck bandit Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:01 am

I often feel like the Bandit is small after having been on it 7 - 8 hours at a time on the big rides and throwing it around all day. But after swapping with my mates TLs 1000 for a few k's, i was pleading to get back on the big girl so i could stretch my arms out again. I was starting to get a cramp high up in my hip and just needed that extra comfort of the Bandit's dimension.

I still like the 96?? looking GSXR models with the curvy tail section behind the rider. In the day they looked small, but tuck in behind that screen and fairing at the front and it feels well protected. I do find the areodynamics of the new Bandit better than the previous model aswell. I'm not getting a blast of wind on my shoulders from my 2010 as i used to on the 2005 model. Even the hands feel a little warmer and out of the wind a little bit more. Actually, i get a nice amount of heat from the engine that i can channel into my boots if i ride on the balls of my feet. Ask me again in Summer time and i might tell you different, but with the temp dropping recently, it's been a pleasant feeling having warm toes.

I don't believe in having too many creature comforts on the bike because its good to tough it out with nature, but if i can recycle a bit of heat from the engine into my boots then bring it on. It helps me strengthen the bond I have with my Bandit when we are both out on that lonely country road, with a cold, wet and dripping nose, numb little fingers but warm toes in the bottom of my boots. Yep, its a good relationship!

Back to top Go down

Post  Corsa79 Sat 01 Jun 2013, 11:32 am

[/quote]I'm 6'2" and find the Bandit a nice size, especially compared to the FJ1100 I had years ago. Oddly though, I have been told the bike looks small with me on it.
Was looking at a 1000 fireblade and they are tiny compared to the Bandit though.[/quote]
I love the bandit and was glade to adjust the seat up when I pulled up at Hughenden after picking the bike new from Townsville approx. 400km. Finshed the trip to home (Julia Creek ) approx. 250km a lot more comfortable.
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down