Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i dropped the loan bike

+7
ThatOtherGuy
Sloth_27
SuzySuzuki
gus
mtbeerwah
2wheelsagain
Acteck
11 posters

Go down

i dropped the loan bike  Empty i dropped the loan bike

Post  Acteck Thu 23 May 2013, 3:43 pm

Hello ,
just wanted to ask and advise or just what you think about the following turn of events scratch
anyway, i left my Bandit 1250 SA at Peter Stevens for a service and as i work in the city i asked for loan bike
I was given similar bike( a bit older and NO abs Neutral )
it was a bit rainy that day
I was driving on Stud road and suddenly one ute in from of me stopped as he had to give way to ambulance which was driving off drive way ( the ambulance just turned on their emergency lights)
I probably pushed breaks too hard as i would probably normally do on my bike with ABS, but with the loan bike it did not really go well. Breaks locked front wheel and i could not keep the bike up right and fall on the right side. The good thing is that speed was quite low so not much damage has been done.
Me- stress in the right shoulder join and a couple of bruises. Bike: still good to ride but fairing is scratched and i was told that radiator is damaged as well and break leaver and handlebar possibly Suspect
Anyway, i had an impression that it should cost me as would cost a normal excess on comprehensive insurance , something like 500$-600$
But i was told that i have to pay 1500$ Shocked

I understand it was my fault but 1500 is too much for insurance, isn't it? or it is normal?

Does anyone has similar experience ?
Thank you

Acteck

Back to top Go down

i dropped the loan bike  Empty Re: i dropped the loan bike

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 23 May 2013, 4:07 pm

Well that's a bugger but I know of 2k excesses on loan bikes so you're at the mercy of whatever you signed or acknowledged.

Thats not as bad as a mate of mine rolling a VL V8 on a test drive back in the day. I think he's still paying that one off.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Acteck Thu 23 May 2013, 4:43 pm

I have asked to send me the paper work i signed as i did not really read it. I should have though
If i red it i would not take loan bike who would?
When u r renting a car they have options to pay extra to avoid a big excess. I was not offered with this options

Acteck

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 23 May 2013, 6:23 pm

Acteck wrote:I have asked to send me the paper work i signed as i did not really read it. I should have though
If i red it i would not take loan bike who would?
When u r renting a car they have options to pay extra to avoid a big excess. I was not offered with this options
yeah mate, you`ll be screwed by the system.
I live in Gladstone, and the loaner 50cc scooter has an $2500 excess, and I said WHAT..."sign here please sir"
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

i dropped the loan bike  Empty I know this thing happens

Post  Acteck Thu 23 May 2013, 7:07 pm

However, knowing that i would never get courtesy bike ever again..
It will be a lesson for me and should be for others to think about it affraid

Acteck

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 23 May 2013, 7:15 pm

What happens if you just break a blinker,still $1500 ? I'd ask someone who deals in this stuff .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

i dropped the loan bike  Empty it was not only blinker

Post  Acteck Thu 23 May 2013, 7:21 pm

the quoted me 4500$ to fix the bike so to pay excess sounds better

gus wrote:What happens if you just break a blinker,still $1500 ? I'd ask someone who deals in this stuff .

Acteck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Thu 23 May 2013, 7:30 pm

One thing to consider from the shops point of view is that their insurance on demo's and loan bikes is actually pretty costly, because the policy is based on a wide demographic of riders (all ages, all experience, unknown accident history, etc).

Unlucky accident, but at least you got away relatively unhurt.
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  SuzySuzuki Thu 23 May 2013, 7:30 pm

$1500 excess is the normal price when you test ride, as you sign the agreement before you take the bike. The same should be for the loan bike. I had a honda cb600 for a week, and when i signed it was around the 1500, so i made damn sure i wasnt riding it everywhere around the country.

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[i dropped the loan bike  Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

i dropped the loan bike  Empty Good point...

Post  Acteck Thu 23 May 2013, 8:14 pm

Sloth_27 wrote:One thing to consider from the shops point of view is that their insurance on demo's and loan bikes is actually pretty costly, because the policy is based on a wide demographic of riders (all ages, all experience, unknown accident history, etc).

Unlucky accident, but at least you got away relatively unhurt.

You are right they have higher excess, but it would be nice to have an option to pay certain amount to reduce the excess as you would do when you rent a car
for now just need to get my bike back and pay off everything...

Acteck

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Thu 23 May 2013, 8:38 pm

$1500 sounds right. I'm currently selling my other bike and the wife's bike. I tell every person who test rides it, there is $1300 excess, that's basic $500, $500 for inexperienced rider and $300 for an undeclared rider. When I test rode a bike last year, I signed the forms and was told there was a $2,000 excess.

I'd ask to take the bike elsewhere for an independent quote. $4500 seems excessive and if its only a smaller and older bike, that sounds close to a write off.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Acteck Thu 23 May 2013, 9:40 pm

ThatOtherGuy wrote:$1500 sounds right. I'm currently selling my other bike and the wife's bike. I tell every person who test rides it, there is $1300 excess, that's basic $500, $500 for inexperienced rider and $300 for an undeclared rider. When I test rode a bike last year, I signed the forms and was told there was a $2,000 excess.

I'd ask to take the bike elsewhere for an independent quote. $4500 seems excessive and if its only a smaller and older bike, that sounds close to a write off.

it was Suzuki Bandit 1250S i am guessing 2007 with 30000 on the clock , so probably 4500 is about right. However, after the accident it was ridden back to the service and i could not see any major damage except scratched fairing and broken break lever.
Anyway, it looks like 1500$ is reasonable amount Suspect , so i'd better to pay it off and move on Suspect Laughing

Acteck

Back to top Go down

Post  Freeway Fri 24 May 2013, 9:47 pm

Bummer but sounds reasonable enough. Put it in the 'shit happens' file.

Freeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Sat 25 May 2013, 11:34 pm

When I have had to have loaners in the past I always ring my insurance company and have them add the bike to my policy. I have never been charged extra to do this and it brings the excess down to $400 should the worst ever happen.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Sun 26 May 2013, 6:10 am

Mpottsy wrote:When I have had to have loaners in the past I always ring my insurance company and have them add the bike to my policy. I have never been charged extra to do this and it brings the excess down to $400 should the worst ever happen.
that's a good idea, might take a little bit of extra time, but sure beats the heartache and hip pocket stress the OP is going through.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  glenby Sun 09 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

when I have had servicing or test rides it is always around the 1500 to 2500 range depending on the shop.
I doubt you get much choice, so I usually take the lame loan bike home and do something else for the day, too risky as the ones I have seen have crap tires and poor suspension too.
so long as you are in 1 piece, that is the main thing.

Bandit 1250N (2011)
Akropovic Slip-On
DNA Air Filter, Snorkel Removed + Holes
Racetech fork springs and Cartridge shim mods
PC-V

glenby

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:50 am

I have just recently hired a car (Hyundai i20) for daughter and boyfriend (her boyfriend !!).
It really pays to read the fine print as most hire companies have an excess reduction from $3000 down to $500 or less but the cost is nearly as much as the daily hire rate.
That aside, I read the fine print on a number of hiring companies and two in particular offer excess reduction but not if involved in a single vehicle accident.
It really is very important to read the fine print if you don't want a large cash outlay if an accident occurs.

On a totally unrelated point, they are flying from Perth to Qld. My initial booking enquiry was Perth / Brisbane but you can fly direct Perth / Coolangatta (Gold Coast) considerably cheaper and driving from Coolangatta is a whole lot less stressful than crossing Brisbane if you are not familiar with the roads.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down