Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oggy Knobs

+5
potatomasher
dhula
Reardo
Cruisecontrol
9 posters

Go down

Oggy Knobs Empty Oggy Knobs

Post  1952 Thu 22 Apr 2010, 11:23 pm

Picking up the new Bandit tomorrow - and I have to admit I am a little excited cheers by the whole deal - I have been off bikes for a long time. ANYWAY whilst I was collecting my Shoei Multitec I remembered that I saw a blue Bandit with Oggy Knobs fitted when I was last going into the the shop. They were on a bracket and not screwed into the motor, and I thought they looked classy, so I bit the bullet and ordered them ($347). I hope that I can get through 1000 km without incident and will have them fitted at the first service ... UNLESS, someone here has has experience of fitting them and wants to share how easy it was and what was required.
When I dropped my near new Suzuki GS850 at about 50 kph, it flipped over and so BOTH sides were damaged and there was nothing to really salvage .. maybe the Oggys will help in off the side-stand falls and low speed accidents. HOPE I NEVER FIND OUT.

Back to top Go down

Oggy Knobs Empty Re: Oggy Knobs

Post  Cruisecontrol Sat 24 Apr 2010, 12:10 pm

I have never liked the look of crash knobs and could never understand why they were so damned expensive.
When I get around to it I am definitely going to get a set of NRC engine covers.
Used a lot in racing and are made extra thick and nice and hard for those offs that crash knobs will only protect your engine covers from damage anyway.
And at $220 US they are well priced and don't ruin the lines of the bike.

Oggy Knobs Nrc2Oggy Knobs Nrc1

Cruisecontrol

Back to top Go down

Post  1952 Sat 24 Apr 2010, 6:44 pm

The NRC Engine covers look the goods - and not too badly priced, (although I would want to know the 'delivered to your door' cost.) But I have purchased the Oggys and actually liked the look of them on the bike I saw - (tastes differ - no reflection on yours intended! Surprised ) Hope to post photos when completed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruisecontrol Sat 24 Apr 2010, 8:38 pm

On the plus side, put them in the right place and I reckon they would make a comfy set of highway pegs. Very Happy

Cruisecontrol

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 25 Apr 2010, 9:14 am

The boys with the black engine may like these ones. $245au from R&G website
Oggy Knobs Img91811
Oggy Knobs Img91911
Oggy Knobs Img92711
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 25 Apr 2010, 11:29 pm

please don't take this the wrong way as i'm in no way saying i'm right and you're wrong.

i thought i'd share my thoughts and experiences having researched frame sliders for a fair while before ending up with the R&G racing set up i have.

at the time oggys where not commonly available for the bandit but i did see a promo pic of a kit fitted to the bandit in a bike mag
i personally don't (and at the time didn't) like the look of them as they have a bar that runs in front of the headers but for me the other thing i considered is a prob where under heavy braking the front guard may catch on certain rad guards and my concern was that it may do it to the bar that the oggys use and if it didn't would it press up against it under heavy braking and render steering inoperative or difficult. (doubt it will but a concern i had none the less)
another thing for me was that i didn't know how it was mounted to the frame/engine.
I now see that as part of the mounting system, the oggys use the front engine mount. for me using the front engine mount is a no no and why i discounted some brands of sliders. not saying using the front engine mount is wrong, i just don't like the idea.
Like you I also did not want sliders (or what I'd call fall over knobs) that mounted to the engine alone.

after reading through the fitting instructions for the oggys i have a few concerns about how the kit is mounted and the instructions that are given in general. IMO the instructions don't gel with suzuki specs and good practice.

Tighten the M8 bolts to approximately 24Nm
all these bolts should be tightened to 23Nm (what's a Nm between friends but my concern is it's incorrect and it shouldn't be "approximately" it either is or isn't)
and the M10 bolts/nuts to approximately 40Nm
the front engine mounting bolt should be tightened to 55 Nm so my question is why have oggy stated 40Nm. Have they used a weaker strength bolt that can not be tightened to 55Nm as suzuki recommend (not saying they have but the question is on my mind), the other M10 bolt securing the knob itself will be fine at 40Nm
Remove the left side lower end radiator hose at position 2 and collect the coolant in a clean container
Replace the coolant saved from step 2 and check that the levels are correct as per the owner’s manual. Top up as
required.
IMO this shouldn't be done and new coolant should be put back in the bike

dhula

Back to top Go down

Oggy Knobs Empty Safety first

Post  1952 Wed 28 Apr 2010, 12:09 am

dhula - Glad to have your detailed and reasoned input!
You raise some matters I was not aware of because I hadn't read the fitting instructions - since I hadn't collected the item yet.
I would not mount the Oggys without at least discussing the points you raise with the Dealer (who I was going to get to fit them at the 1000km service.) If I can, I will also send an e-mail to the manufacturers and seek their response. If I'm not happy - then they won't be fitted; even though I have already paid for them. No

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Thu 29 Apr 2010, 4:07 am

I read somewhere that you need to be a bit careful with that type of accessory in general. the article said that it is possible for forces that would normally cause cosmetic damage to be transferred to the frame and so you could end up with a good looking write off
potatomasher
potatomasher

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Freeway Thu 29 Apr 2010, 10:41 pm

I've got oggy knobs on my 1250 - when I first saw them I thought they would look ordinary but they're quite unobtrusive really & provide better protection than other knob style crash protectors I've seen. For my money they're really only there in case I dump it in the driveway or something . Easy enough to fit, just follow the instructions, no problem with reusing coolant on a new bike, just drain it into a clean container. The replacement front engine mount bolt is crap quality, I'll replace it when I get around to it, but disappointing. As for slight dicrepancies in bolt torque specs, an 8mm bolt should be tightened to 16-18 ft/lbs normally but it depends a bit on the thread & what it's screwing in to so a slight difference in spec is fairly irrelevant as long as it's within reason for it's application.Possibly the larger discrepancy on the long bolt is due to the aforementioned crapness of said bolt.
On the other hand the manufacturers specify a correct tension for anything & everything which is of critical importance in some cases ( particularly engine assembly) & less in others. It's all very nice to correctly tension one's axle nut every time you adjust the chain for example, but personally I just do it up tight. I also had doubts about mounting to the front engine mounts but they also brace back to the lower mounts where as other knobs just fix to the front.

Freeway

Back to top Go down

Post  1952 Fri 30 Apr 2010, 1:29 am

I have e-mailed the Technical Support link with a list of the expressed concerns - and I also asked if the fitted item interfers with any normal servicing. I wonder if they will reply?

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 30 Apr 2010, 9:52 pm

being a visible and respected company within the motorcycle community, they will reply to your e-mail, no doubt about it.
i'm confident they will give good answers and perhaps will even take the comments for consideration/feedback to improve the product.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 18 Aug 2010, 8:05 pm

here is a link to a bike with oggys on it.

i like what the owner has done with the rims too. looks very nice i think

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  fucku Thu 19 Aug 2010, 6:57 pm

Hi guys,im glad you like my bike,the oggys are good to use as highway pegs on long trips Laughing
I just posted those photos last night.
When you see the oggys on the bike ,they dont look too bad,the reason i fitted them was to mainly protect the radiator,so if i did lay the bike down,i still have a chance of riding the bike home.
I had a sv 1000 that i binned,and i could still make it home because the radiator was still intact.
Anyway each to their own
Cheers
Moggie
fucku
fucku

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 20 Aug 2010, 8:57 am

dhula wrote:here is a link to a bike with oggys on it.

i like what the owner has done with the rims too. looks very nice i think

Thats an ugly setup but looks like it would ok.
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  fucku Fri 20 Aug 2010, 5:52 pm

Thanks for that ,i think the same about beowolfe exhausts.
fucku
fucku

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 23 Aug 2010, 8:44 am

moggieman wrote:Thanks for that ,i think the same about beowolfe exhausts.

Did you check dhula's link Rolling Eyes
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Oggy Knobs Empty Still not mounted

Post  1952 Thu 26 Aug 2010, 5:01 pm

It is Adelaide's coldest (and constantly showery) winter for 13 years, and as the Bandit is a 'have fun' purchase and not a daily ride, I haven't even run up 1000 km yet. The Oggy Knobs are sitting in the garage still - and I'm still not sure I will fit them. I have had no response Crying or Very sad from their Technical section with the questions I put to them re. strength and servicing matters. The real reason I am hesitating is that I stubbornly want to keep my Bandit 100% standard! I admit I have fitted an AirHawk seat, but that is easily removable if I want to present my bike in original condition. I enjoy reading about aftermarket exhausts, suspension work (I have softened the front from 3 to 5), custom seats, polished wheels, etc. BUT for me the Bandit stands proud AS IS. I have had about 5 x 100 km + rides - 2 of them with my wife as pillion (she loves it!) - and I don't lust after any other bike, or feel disappointed in any way.

Maybe the Oggys will continue to gather dust - if the bike falls over I am going to feel a right nit - maybe I will have a change of heart when warmer weather arrives and my riding companion comes back from overseas and he gets back on his immaculate 2004 Yamaha FZ6 Question

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Thu 07 Oct 2010, 10:09 am

potatomasher wrote:I read somewhere that you need to be a bit careful with that type of accessory in general. The article said that it is possible for forces that would normally cause cosmetic damage to be transferred to the frame and so you could end up with a good looking write off

That is true, and for that reason I have heard rumours that some insurance companies will refuse your claim if you have them fitted.

They are only useful for if the bike is dropped from a stand-still, or at a very low speed. Great if you're clumsy, or can't reach the ground properly on your bike (i.e you're more likely to loose balance and drop it).

At road speeds they can transfer major stress to a single point in the frame, rather than distributing it across an entire panel (as would be the case without them).

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down