Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks

5 posters

Go down

LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks Empty LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks

Post  ThatOtherGuy Thu 04 Oct 2012, 6:39 pm

Thought I'd start a new thread for this rather than clog up and lose it in the Trivia thread.

Basically I wanted to do an LED indicator conversion simply to remove the indicator stalks that stick out and just take away from what can be nice clean lines of the Bandit.

Hammy's flush mount fronts gave me the inspiration to give it a try, but I didn't want to use indicator mounted LEDs to get the roadworthiness passed, I wanted to be free to use any mirror including standard Bandit or Suzuki mirrors.

The item that made it all possible for me to get the result I was after was something I saw on the GSTwins forum, an orange 5 LED strip that could be stuck almost anywhere you have a flat surface. So long as it satisfied ADR requirements in terms of placement I was cooking on gas.

Shopping list of items is at the bottom of the post, here's the pics.

As you can see from the rear, there is no obvious visible evidence of the indicators presence on the bike. The flush mount indicators are purely to fill in the gaps where the stalks were, from a compliance point of view they are actually unnecessary:
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0194

With indicators on, now you can see them, the strip LEDs must be spaced at 180mm or more, the number plate is at least 185mm, so no worries there. I used some aluminium angle screwed onto the back of the plate mounting bracket to create a surface to affix the strips to:
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0195

From each side at a 45 degree angle you can see the indicators which is necessary for compliance. I did originally try to flush mount the number plate on the rear guard to see if the flush mount indicators were adequate, but it was so close that I just didn't want to give the authorities any reason to ping me:
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0197
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0200
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0202

The front is much the same except the distance between indicators must be 300mm and also be able to be seen from a 45 degree angle. Obviously the flush mounts where the stalks were just didn't cut it from a visibility point of view (even from the front they were hard to see). So the strip LEDs are for visibility from front and each side compliance:
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0206
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0208
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0217
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0219
LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks DSCN0213

Flush mounts were from Third Gear:
http://www.thirdgear.com.au/products/CBR-Flush-Mount-Smoked-LED-Indicators.html

Strip LEDs from this eBay seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280959620208?rd=1&item=280959620208&viewitem=&sspagename=WDVW&category=35575&ih=018&vxp=mtr

And of course a new electronic flasher unit from this eBay seller, without this the indicators just flash rapidly instead of steadily. No point using resistors as you lose the benefit of the LEDs low power draw:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120786114228?item=120786114228&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160&vxp=mtr

I'm very happy with the outcome, bike looks good and its legal.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks Empty Re: LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks

Post  Re-Cycled Thu 04 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

That was very comprehensive - garage is pretty tidy too Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks Empty Re: LED Indicator Conversion, flush mounts with strip indicators and NO stalks

Post  paul Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:46 pm

looks good Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Fri 05 Oct 2012, 6:43 am

Very nice, are they bright enough?

Re-Cycled wrote:That was very comprehensive - garage is pretty tidy too Smile

Not only that, but the front lawn looks good too Smile
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:05 am

Do the have the correct compliance markings (SAE, E marking, JIS or FMVS)
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:20 am

Chook wrote:Do the have the correct compliance markings (SAE, E marking, JIS or FMVS)
As per the link, the Flush mounts are E stamped and street legal. The strip LEDs I cannot vouch for.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down