Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question about horsepower

3 posters

Go down

A question about horsepower Empty A question about horsepower

Post  BanditDave Fri 28 Sep 2012, 8:18 am

Using the Bandit as a benchmark with a quoted horsepower somewhere between 100 and 120 (correct me if I am mistaken)

I've just been looking at jetskies and have seen several specs quoting 165HP up to 300HP with engines around 1200cc-1300cc

I'm guessing that the Bandit horsepower is measured at the back wheel where the jetski somewhere on the engine drive.

Is this trick advertising or are there several ways to state horsepower from an engine.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

A question about horsepower Empty Re: A question about horsepower

Post  Chrisss Fri 28 Sep 2012, 8:36 am

there are a couple of ways to calculate hp but they produce similar results.

Bandit hp as shown in your manual will be measured at the flywheel. knock about 15-20% off for driveline losses and you'll get a ballpark rear wheel hp figure. The Bandit is more about torque than hp.

Watercraft donks don't need a lot of torque they rely or RPM to drive the jet/prop. Engines with high rpm have the potential to generate higher hp (eg an F1 car 2.4 litre V8 revs to 19 grand and makes 850hp). My mates ski boat has a 1.5 litre supercharged unit rated at 400hp so your jetski figures seem about right to me.

Chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 28 Sep 2012, 12:22 pm

A couple of years ago I had a look at at couple of jetski's at the Sydney boatshow. From memory one of the Yamaha's was using a supercharged R1 motor and the Kawasaki a supercharged ZZ1400 engine, pulling something like 250 HP! 1250 bandits generally pump 100 - 105 BHP rear wheel on a dyno, (I think this is what Dale quotes on Holeshot). Horsepower is the product of force and distance over time. That's why its dimentions are ft-lbs per second (i.e. 1 hp = 550 ft lbs per second).
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down