Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which engine oil?l

+4
2wheelsagain
Kaupy1962
Bluesman79
bonnevile
8 posters

Go down

which engine oil?l  Empty which engine oil?l

Post  bonnevile Fri 07 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm

hi all this has proberbly been asked to death but would like your veiws on what grade of engine oil.as ive only ever worked on brit bikes these do not like any sythetic oils due to the clutch running wet.i no bandit run wet clutches but would like your verdicts on sythetic or not.uk wheather is normaly cold so ha heat wont be a problem.regards adrian
bonnevile
bonnevile

Back to top Go down

which engine oil?l  Empty Re: which engine oil?l

Post  Bluesman79 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 11:17 pm

My father, being a motor mechanic of 30 years experience says no synthetics at all. Suzuki doesn't like em in their bikes...I use motul 5100 4T on his recommendation.
Bluesman79
Bluesman79

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Sat 08 Sep 2012, 12:30 am

Or Castrol 4T
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 08 Sep 2012, 7:15 am

And then the fight started Rolling Eyes

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 08 Sep 2012, 8:08 am

lol! Something oily and not sold from Crazy Clarks on special . tongue
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 08 Sep 2012, 8:09 am

OMG for the love of humanity let's not start this again Rolling Eyes

The workshop manual recommends JASO MA 10W-40 or API 10W-40 SF/SG SH/SJ.

There are several on sale at your local supacheap including Valvoline Super Diesel in a 20l drum reduced from $115 to $89. This is a SAE 10W-40 oil with a API specification of SJ. I will be running out to get a drum this weekend and will use it across the fleet (bikes, cars and anything else that is not 2-stroke). Manufacturers produce oils with both a diesel rating (CH-4) and petrol (SJ) for this purpose.

For all comments on this post, I can only say RTM.

Just noticed that u are in the UK, thus making yr local supacheap not very local. I have previously run Silkolene Racing 4T full syth and Castrol Power 1 racing full syth. The bike has had two dyno sessions and several track days with no clutch issues.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 08 Sep 2012, 1:10 pm

As the search function sux the big uns on this site (or I just can't use the damb thing) it's hard to find info on what others are using.
Best get is to do a google search which will bring up all kinds of info.

Best info I can give you is to get one that
*meets the recommendations for spec and weight that you'll find in the user manual
*meets the recommendations for the temps you ride in. there is a chart in the user manual to help with this
*Is slippery, smells and tastes like engine oil
*Is usually coloured about the same as honey when new. This can be deceiving some times as there are oils out there that are different colours
*Meets your budget
*Gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling that you are using it

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 08 Sep 2012, 3:39 pm

dhula wrote:

I thought that's what lube was for Cool

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Sat 08 Sep 2012, 4:15 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works. I was checking out a new clutch unit for the young bloke's Hyosung coz it has a bit of slip when the engines cold. There's a warning label with the new clutch that says; Do Not Use Full Synthetic Oil!
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnevile Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

dhula wrote:As the search function sux the big uns on this site (or I just can't use the damb thing) it's hard to find info on what others are using.

*meets the recommendations for spec and weight that you'll find in the user manual
*meets the recommendations for the temps you ride in. there is a chart in the user manual to help with this
*Is usually coloured about the same as honey when new. This can be deceiving some times as there are oils out there that are different colours
*Meets your budget
ha ha
bonnevile
bonnevile

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 09 Sep 2012, 12:32 pm

bonnevile wrote:
dhula wrote:As the search function sux the big uns on this site (or I just can't use the damb thing) it's hard to find info on what others are using.

*Meets your budget
ha ha

While my post may have been one that did not directly answer your question, it certainly gave you some helpful info (in a somewhat tounge in cheek way).
Ask 10 motorbike riders what they reckon is the best for your bike and undoubtedly you will get between 8 and 10 different answers, all of them suiting the rider that gave it.

I have my own thoughts on synthetic oils in an engine that doesn't call for it. Personally I can't see the point in spending the extra coin on something that is not needed and in some cases may cause more problems than it solves in the later years (beyond the usual ownership period of most motorcyclists)

One reason for giving the answer I gave is the oil I use may not be suitable to your conditions, may not be available to you in your country or if it is may be a different blend to what I use so YMMV compared to mine.

On a side note, a number of Triumphs are now (and have been for a while) calling for semi or full syn oils only - no dino stuff. This was and will be - for the foreseeable future at least - the only time that I use/d semi syn oil. I personally did not see the benefits apart from being able to prove that i used it in my bike if the engine had of exploded into a million pieces within the warrenty period and even then I'm dubious if it would have helped get me a replacement.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down