Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Louder horn straight swap over?

3 posters

Go down

Louder horn straight swap over? Empty Louder horn straight swap over?

Post  Bluesman79 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 9:23 pm

Can anyone please advise if there is a horn that is deeper and louder that is also a straight swap over for my 2004 bandit? Its just that I dont want the hassle of changing electrics, adding relays etc...thanks Very Happy
Bluesman79
Bluesman79

Back to top Go down

Louder horn straight swap over? Empty Re: Louder horn straight swap over?

Post  barry_mcki Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:27 pm

The issue with a more powerful device (lights, horn, ignition system) is that it usually means a larger current drain. You might get away with doing a straight swap and it might appear to work as you haven't blown the fuse, however the hidden issue is the wiring that is carring the additional current. Just as Suzuki used the bare minimum for paint, they also did not over-spec the wiring or the connectors. Overtime the additional current draw could heat up the wiring, causing corroded connectors and melted wiring. If left on too long the hot conductors could melt the insulation then start melting into other wires in the wiring loom.

The chances of something going wrong with a bigger horn is quite remote than say high power spot lights, as the horn would be used for very short periods of time. Also be aware that the fuses on bikes share circuits, eg the horn is on the same system as the indicators.

You need to weigh up is it worth taking this remote chance of the wiring overheating, or for the sake of a bit of heavy duty cable, a relay and fuse and a bit of your time you have a very good insurance policy. And talking of policies, there might be a bit of contoversey over damage to the bike caused by an electrical short because the loom over heated.

That said, the most popular aftermarket horns seems to be the Stebels and Nautilus, not a straight swap but can be done on a lazy wet afternoon. I have just changed from a Stebel Magnum for something that is even louder, a pair of Hella Supertones, and I have installed the additional wiring and relays/fuses.

Louder horn straight swap over? Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesman79 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:32 pm

Hmm ok, thanks for the advice...I'll havta give it some more thought because i'm not at all good with electrics. A lot of research on google I'm guessing...
Bluesman79
Bluesman79

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 05 Aug 2012, 12:00 am

Basic electrics is pretty simple, start at one side of the battery and work through the cabling and devices until you get to the other side of the battery.

A horn install is a good starting project, you can't do too much damage. Also lets you understand earth switching, i.e. the horn button connects the battery -ve (sometimes called earth as it is usually connected to the chasis frame) to close the circuit.

Do a search on here as a couple of us have put up wiring diagrams. Sing out if you need help, the hardest thing is where to mount the new horn, however if you can find something compariable to the original in size, you might be lucky enough to use the original mounting points.

Last edited by barry_mcki on Sun 05 Aug 2012, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:15 am

Why do you want a louder horn?
A clown in a cage still won't give a toss about you.
You're better off being seen in the first place because I guarantee with 30+ years on bikes if a cage and you are close enough to have a horn wake them up its gone or going to shit.

The secret is lane position, lane presence, defensive riding and expect the unexpected.

My 2c worth.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 05 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

I reckon you can sense when a cager isn't paying attention (the hint is that they are behind the wheel), this is long before they actually changed into your lane, a gentle blast of a diesil locomotive horn is sometimes what they need to bring them out of their slumber and pay attention to their surroundings.

However, in an emergency I don't think my mind/reflexes are geared up to think about hitting the horn, escape routes and speed washing would be the first reactions.

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum