Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap???

4 posters

Go down

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? Empty What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap???

Post  reddog Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:04 pm

You chop up the OEM exhaust on the wifes bike Smile

I had a Muzzy pipe for a Suzuki LTZ 400 quad sitting in the shed when it was sent to me by accident when I ordered a Muzzy pipe off Ebay for my DRZ400. Muzzy were great fixing the issue and they never asked me to send the LTZ exhaust back.

So, I sized it up against the OEM pipe and wondered if I could make it fit.

A couple of hours later after taking to the OEM pipe with the angle grinder I managed to shape the link pipe so it would fit snuggly with the Muzzy. I made a new bracket for the exhaust hanger and sent it up the road to get it TIG'd as my wifes friend was a coded welder and said he'd TIG the pipe up for me.

When I got it back I did what anyone would do and gave the headers and link pipe a clean up and coated it with Pot belly black heat proof paint. I then dried it all by the fire.

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? IMG_4645

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? IMG_4647

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? IMG_4648

End results

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? IMG_4650

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? IMG_4652

Here is what it used to look like

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? IMG_9041
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? Empty What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap???

Post  paul Sat 04 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

Looks good , great job , but I bet you'd rather have been riding instead LOL

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? Empty Re: What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap???

Post  reddog Sat 04 Aug 2012, 7:03 pm

You know the drill Paul.
Happy wife happy life Smile

I actually enjoy doing this sort of thing... Once it's finished
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap??? Empty Re: What do you do when you have a few hours spare after work and the weather is crap???

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:33 pm

Nice work reddog. Reminds me of the work I did to fit a Suzzy muffler to the Timberwolf - all in vain as it turned out as the Timberwolf's alternator's best days were behind it. Had to find an exhaust guy that was bothered by a small job to match the header pipe to the link pipe - $20 and a good job too. Alaways good good to get a result though. Nice. Smile
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 05 Aug 2012, 1:39 am

Figuring out how I would do it was half of the problem. Once I got it clear in my head it was just lots of grinding and mock fitting prior to sending off for welding. I was very pleased with the outcome. The Muzzy is not obnoxious like the oem. The previous owner had bashed the baffles out and it sounded horrible.

The Muzzy also has a spark arrestor which is worthwhile out here in the country.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 05 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

reddog wrote:Figuring out how I would do it was half of the problem. Once I got it clear in my head it was just lots of grinding and mock fitting prior to sending off for welding. I was very pleased with the outcome. The Muzzy is not obnoxious like the oem. The previous owner had bashed the baffles out and it sounded horrible.

The Muzzy also has a spark arrestor which is worthwhile out here in the country.

Really? I didn't think they were any good for any think, but for a bit back pressure. The only time I've seen sparks come from a exhaust was from a race car.

Did the same thing to a mates XR600 years ago. We got a Staintune off something. Bolted it on like you have & drop in to the local exhaust shop and got a 8-10" mid pipe bent and flanged so it was slip-on for $30. = the sound of 600 with Staintune Cool Awesome Very Happy

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:20 pm

A mate of mine has an 05 ZX10r with a Akropovic system. It shoots flames out of it for sure Smile

Spark arrestors are more for old 2 strokes, but better to be safe. I'd hate to start a big bush fire. Recently a big fire in the Perth hills was from a guy using an angle grinder.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down