Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carbon Fibre etc.

4 posters

Go down

Carbon Fibre etc. Empty Carbon Fibre etc.

Post  BanditDave Wed 18 Jul 2012, 7:36 am

Here's an article on carbon fibre I found on another forum

http://gas2.org/2012/07/16/67-pound-carbon-fiber-electric-motorcycle-revealed-in-norway/

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Carbon Fibre etc. Empty Re: Carbon Fibre etc.

Post  Hammy Wed 18 Jul 2012, 8:45 am

Wow. Thats light. In the future I guess that all bikes n cars will be super light.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 18 Jul 2012, 10:22 am

Range 60 miles make it useless no mater how light it is .Next idea please . Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Wed 18 Jul 2012, 10:59 am

gus wrote:Range 60 miles make it useless no mater how light it is .Next idea please . Very Happy

Its the way of the future.... Twisted Evil

I fly model aircraft and up until recently all my competition models were powered by 2 or 4 stroke Internal Combustion engines.... For the past 2 years I have been using Electric 'outrunner' type motors with 4 cell Lipo batteries in the models. I haven't had to mix any fuel for over 2 years and just keep recharging the batteries - which will generally have a life of over 50 - 60 flights/recharges for an outlay of around $30. The motors are extremely powerful (at least equal to the .72ci 4 stroke motor I was previously using), more reliable and the 'speed controller' which is also needed to operate the thing is programmable.
EL motors are continually being improved - along with batteries. They will have a longer life, become smaller and lighter, maintain their charge for longer periods and eventually motorcycles like the current Toyota hybrids will have some form of 'recharge' occurring whilst the bike is being ridden. (the Prius and other Hybrids regain some charge when braking occurs or when they are 'coasting' downhill)

It might take a while for the technology to arrive and for a bike to be truly 'competitive' against a 'fuel' powered engine - but it will happen.. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 18 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

I'm sure it will and we will all look back (selfishly) and pine for the past . I'm sucking up all the fossil fuel while i can . So is everybody else or we would be riding scooters . Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Wed 18 Jul 2012, 3:54 pm

gus wrote:I'm sure it will and we will all look back (selfishly) and pine for the past . I'm sucking up all the fossil fuel while i can . So is everybody else or we would be riding scooters . Very Happy

Yes... well there's nothing like the sound of a well exhausted IC engine... Twisted Evil I've threatened to put a piece of cardboard behind the prop of my models (held on with a peg) to make the sound we used to make on our pushbikes of old! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Wed 18 Jul 2012, 4:37 pm

Bhoffo wrote:
gus wrote:I'm sure it will and we will all look back (selfishly) and pine for the past . I'm sucking up all the fossil fuel while i can . So is everybody else or we would be riding scooters . Very Happy

Yes... well there's nothing like the sound of a well exhausted IC engine... Twisted Evil I've threatened to put a piece of cardboard behind the prop of my models (held on with a peg) to make the sound we used to make on our pushbikes of old! Smile

It may be prudent to make some recording of your favourite sounds on your iPad before the sounds are a thing of the past.

I'm not sure that playing the sound whilst riding your silent electric motorcycle will be quite the same but may be the only alternative. Sad

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Wed 18 Jul 2012, 5:00 pm

There is actually available for model aircraft a 'sound amplifier' - I saw a large scale DC3 a few months back powered by EL Motors... The amplifiers played a recording of a 'real' DC 3 engine sound, when it was turned off you could hear all the tappets rattling - just like the real thing.. amazing.. So perhaps your statement above isn't so far fetched after all...?

I have to say though... through work a few years back and soon after the Toyota Prius arrived on the market I had the chance to drive one... a very strange experience... no engine sound... You get to know when your normal car engines are working hard - time to change gear etc - but with this there was none of that. Would take some getting used to.. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down