Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe.

4 posters

Go down

Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe. Empty Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe.

Post  ausrock50 Tue 05 Jun 2012, 10:22 pm

I am thinking of changing my handgrips as the originals are marked from a minor spill we had recently near Tenterfield Sad Very minor damage but I have to repair it all as I go as it drives me mad looking at it and the throttle handgrip is slightly marked. I have replaced many grips on older bikes and they all had straight throttle slides but when I start to peel back the GSF1250 throttel handgrip I notice something like a sleeve/collar underneath secureing the grip onto the sleeve next to the controls. Do I need specific handgrips or can I use any handgrip and the collar be removed??? I know it seems like such a minor thing but I hate getting caught out by the little things.
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe. Empty Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe.

Post  paul Tue 05 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm

Ive only changed mine for sponge ones & left the collar in tact , but I suppose if you use a bit of glue you could remove it if you really had to .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe. Empty Re: Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe.

Post  barry_mcki Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm

Looking at the price of new OEM grips I went for the cheaper "normal" set, parts guy at Suzuki suggested to cut the collar off with a dremel to make the non-standard grips fit.
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe. Empty Re: Changing handgrips???? Only a minor thing....maybe.

Post  ausrock50 Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:45 pm

Thanks for that fellas. Good to know that I either need a standard grip or to modify. Smile
by paul on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm

Ive only changed mine for sponge ones & left the collar in tact , but I suppose if you use a bit of glue you could remove it if you really had to .

Did you just butt it up against the collar Paul and how did that go with the bar end?
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:37 am

I removed the end weights to fit them ( undo the screw a little & push it in to release the stopper , if you undo it too far the nut on the back falls off ) the left hand grip went straight on & on the throttle side I have a vista throttle lock so I cut the OEM grip off level with that & cut the sponge one down a bit in length to suit . When fitted , they didn`t foul with the end weights . The grips came with a black plastic washer to put on first before the throttle grip.( I bought them at my local bike shop .) hope this helps you .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:34 am

barry_mcki wrote:Looking at the price of new OEM grips I went for the cheaper "normal" set, parts guy at Suzuki suggested to cut the collar off with a dremel to make the non-standard grips fit.

That's what i did to get my Oxfords on

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum