Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2003 Aprilia

5 posters

Go down

2003 Aprilia  Empty 2003 Aprilia

Post  1952 Tue 29 May 2012, 1:58 am

My good mate has just scratched his Aprilia itch, by purchasing a 2003 Tuono (I think .. It is the V2 999cc model) with 43000 km on it, for $6000. The bike has a stone damaged fairing, (cracked Perspex), but looks really good otherwise. The one owner is a Ducati racing bike mechanic who has done impeccable mechanical care, but doesn't want to bother with appearance. He just wanted to ride it, not polish it. Never raced or dropped and all original - including exhaust. No modifications. My friend is looking forward to bringing the cosmetics back to new. His current bike looks show room clean after 5 years.
My question is probably best directed to Gus. Is there anything in particular he should know about Aprilias, such as, how easy it is to get parts?
My reading says that it is going to be difficult for even my mighty Bandit to keep him in sight. Fortunately, he is no 'boy racer', and puts safety as his priority.
I read somewhere (on this forum??) that Aprilias are hard to start and prone to battery problems - anyone here know if this is true?
Can't wait for our first ride after he has tidied it up.

Back to top Go down

2003 Aprilia  Empty Re: 2003 Aprilia

Post  gus Tue 29 May 2012, 5:49 am

THis will take more than one line .(off to work ) .Those bikes are awsome ,never has $6000 been so well spent. Back tonight .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Tue 29 May 2012, 6:13 pm

I tried to buy a crashed Tuono from Motorcycle Disposals before I got the Bandit. Awesome bike and a great price your mate got there, how many kms?
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Tue 29 May 2012, 7:11 pm

Hey Sloth_27, you've probably had another look by now, but if you haven't, in the 1st line he says 43,000 kms Smile
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 29 May 2012, 7:40 pm

There is a sign hanging over my Tuono that says " NOT FOR SALE " I traded it in once , 3 weeks later i bought it back , i missed it that much .
Seating is very similar to the Bandit ,little less leg room .Comfort wise ,i think its better ,thats right ,better .
Power wise ,about the same but more exciting.Weight wise no comparison .Bandit 225 Kg Aprilia 180 kg .
Finish is top class .Paint on mine looks new after 6 years .
The battery MUST repeat Must be hooked up to a battery tender .The v-twin need all the power to turn it over ,a tired battery will cause it to
stuff the sprag clutch ($$$ fix)
You will suffer from dash resets .This is cause when the battery gets old .Replace with a Yuasa.
In 75,000 kls i have needed an oil pressure senders . $22 . THats All .Be warned the thread it tapered .Only use a Aprilia one .
Ride will be Hard .Pilot powers tires work well .Side stand takes getting used to .Rotax motor is brilliant ,riding in city isnt .
If you have a V-twin you have to enjoy that sound .Akraprovic is the norm ,hexy but that sound .A Gabro V5 chip fix's the fueling ($85)
Parts, hope you dont need any because Aprilia are fn hopeless in that department .Getting better ,but still a way to go.
Check the brown wire connector in the tail section ,they melt .Mine hasnt .
I have a Ventura tuono Bag System for sale . Wink
All the answers are on the AFI forum .
Best gearing is 16-44 .If its standard you wont snick into 6th until 180 kph .
Wear ear plugs ,they are noise and can be tireing .They love the open road .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

2003 Aprilia  Empty Great Help

Post  1952 Wed 30 May 2012, 9:49 am

Fabulous response Gus! Just what I was hoping for. I am going to print it out and pass it on. Hopefully I will be putting a photo or two up after a good ride. I have to say that even with the stock muffler, it sounded sweet. - and I suspect I'll be following that sound on lots of rides. Do I tell my mate he needs to paint everything black ... Or does that just apply to Bandits? lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 30 May 2012, 7:14 pm

No black needed , aprilia sorted it for you .With an Akro. pipe it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up even after 6 years .
Slipper clutch is wonderfull ,engine braking is huge ,as are the brembo brakes .Double bubble dark tint screen looks best .Clutch fluid will turn black
after 2 days .(all good ).Pillion comfort , you just wouldnt .
2003 Aprilia  IMG_2063
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Wed 30 May 2012, 7:45 pm

That's a really nice shot Gus.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  1952 Wed 30 May 2012, 10:02 pm

gus wrote:No black needed , aprilia sorted it for you .With an Akro. pipe it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up even after 6 years .
Slipper clutch is wonderfull ,engine braking is huge ,as are the brembo brakes .Double bubble dark tint screen looks best .Clutch fluid will turn black
after 2 days .(all good ).Pillion comfort , you just wouldnt .
2003 Aprilia  IMG_2063

I agree with Hammy -that is NICE drunken Where was it taken? Have you just crossed the river?! And what year is your Aprilia, and how many kms ?
My mate SMS'd me to say his new purchase goes well, but does crackle and pop on a closed throttle. Is this normal, considering it has a stock standard exhaust, or should he have it 'tuned'?

Sorry to harass you - but I understand that Aprilia owners are always willing to talk about their 'precious'. Laughing

Correction to earlier statement - it has 49000 km on the clock.

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 31 May 2012, 6:02 am

Mine has 75,000 kls .
There is no way your mates previous owner ran it with a standard pipe .That being the case the chip would have been changed .Pipes are expensive
"chips" are cheap .THere is a good chance he took the pipe off (i would have )but left the performace chip in because he lost the standard one or
never had one .This may cause the noise on over-run . Under the seat there is a box (the brain )Unplug it (no problems) and see if the seal has been
brocken .I think its a piece of paper over the join .I'm expecting it to be torn .Nothing to worry about but show's someone has been in there .
Probably to change the chip .

Oh yeah , he wont find neutral till the oil warms up , about 5 mins .Getting the rear brake to work takes a special method involving a hammer
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  1952 Sun 03 Jun 2012, 12:39 am

This is getting to be a bit Off Topic for a Bandit site, but I wanted Gus to know I printed out his comments and passed them to my mate, and he is more than grateful for the input.
He coudn't quite get the Aprilia to turn over this morning, so he took the battery out to be tested by Battery World. Their feed-back was that the battery is fine, but only about 75% charged. We then went to Revolution Motorcycles and purchased an 'Oxford' Branded Battery Charger/Minder for $79. The battery is charging now and will hopefully be up to the task tomorrow.
Don't have these issues with a Bandit! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:30 am

The battery charger may "say" fully charged but the aprilia will pull so much power it will drain the battery before it kicks over .
If in any doubt get a new "good" battery .It will last for 3 years .
I wouldnt worry about talking about non Bandit bikes .Its a bike ,we like them and at $6000 it makes a perfect partner for a Bandit .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down