Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Again with the seized Bandit

+3
2wheelsagain
reddog
Wayne Lawrence
7 posters

Go down

Again with the seized Bandit Empty Again with the seized Bandit

Post  Wayne Lawrence Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:52 am

Further to my previous posts- What happened is this - The camchain guide inside the rocker cover somehow has become dislodged and then fallen down into the engine jamming the camchain sprocket on the crankshaft. Glad it didn't happen while I was on the move.
The repairer says in his opinion the guide is unlikely to just come loose and fall out. The dealer who last serviced my bike claims that there is no way that they dislodged the guide - now there's a surprise. Negotiations continue.

Wayne

Wayne Lawrence

Back to top Go down

Again with the seized Bandit Empty Re: Again with the seized Bandit

Post  reddog Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

Did the previous service people check the valves on your bike? If so I wouldn't mind betting they did actually cause it
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:48 pm

There is a good chance the rocker cover came off at the 24k service. It’s usually unnecessary but that’s what the book says.
I imagine something was loosened or knocked out of place then and it was just a matter of time before jamming something.

Getting someone to admit liability will be a long shot. Good luck though.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Wed 04 Apr 2012, 5:03 pm

I know when i did my valve clearance check that the guide fell off the rocker cover and nearly got swallowed by the engine. She got a couple of dabs of sealant to stick it to the cover and havent had a drama.

That is why i dont trust anyone working on my bikes/car. least if i do it its done right the first time

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:30 pm

Well if it fell down there it just might be possible to go fishing and get it out .Remove sump and get a tourch .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 04 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

guide from rocker cover fell off when service was done, technician (if he/she can be called that) placed it back into the rocker cover without cleaning and gluing it, guide dislodged when rocker cover was being refitted. Nothing more to it than that IMO.

Known thing to happen on bandits and the known cure is to clean inside of rocker cover and clue/RTV/silicon what ever the guide to the rocker cover before refitting it. Simple.

Will the place that serviced your bike admit to this occuring - no friggin way.

See if you can get the guide out and if in good shape refit it to the cover (use an adhesive of some sort). drain the oil and check for plastic bits. If none you might be OK to refil and ride on.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:42 pm

that's right - its a known thing that it falls off easily which i told my shop before they did the valve check [....if they actuallly did it....] and went to some length to explain the problem so that if there was an issue after i wasnt going to pay for it

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down