Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Job In The World

+3
rolls
paul
Hammy
7 posters

Go down

Best Job In The World Empty Best Job In The World

Post  Hammy Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:20 pm

I just had a look at the official Queensland weather web site to see what we were in for over the next few days. Well ! talk about hedging your bets. The next SIX days are all: Mostly Fine, Possible Shower. WHAT ? Who makes this stuff up, come on now. Our dog could come up with a more interesting forecast. If weather forecasting aint the easiest job in the world, then what is. And these are some of the same people that are telling us that we are going into an Ice Age. Or is it a Melt Age ? Who knows ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Best Job In The World Empty Best Job In The World

Post  paul Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:05 pm

If I got my job wrong as often as the weather forecasters get it wrong I`d have been sacked long ago Rolling Eyes

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Best Job In The World Empty Re: Best Job In The World

Post  rolls Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:49 am

"Mostly fine, possible shower" is a bit of a lame cop out. Maybe it was a fight in the office on who was going to be right, so they split it? Gotta say the predictions for ACT and surrounds are accurate to very accurate.

Predicting if it will rain is one thing, how much is another. 19mm in the guage at home for last Sunday's big storms, 82mm only 9km west. A few years ago had a huge storm one afternoon with 15mm in about 15 minutes. Only 400 steps up the street at the Bowling Club (400 steps. Counted them many times) they had 45mm in thier guage. They recon the greens were like swimming pools.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:34 pm

i agree, the only reason they say possible rain is because the public demand an answer....

if you call the guys that really know, i.e. when you need advice before flying (aviation) than they would say...

look, it is unstable, it might rain but we really don't know when or how much, if you check in again every half hour or so we can tell you whats going to happen in the next 60-120mins but thats the best we can do at the moment....

Sadly, this wouldn't go down with the news or public too well as they don't lie experts saying "we just don't know".

chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:43 pm

The best job in the world - one that gives you a 30% payrise and the best super scheme in the country! pirat pirat
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm

rolls wrote:Predicting if it will rain is one thing, how much is another. 19mm in the guage at home for last Sunday's big storms, 82mm only 9km west. A few years ago had a huge storm one afternoon with 15mm in about 15 minutes. Only 400 steps up the street at the Bowling Club (400 steps. Counted them many times) they had 45mm in thier guage. They recon the greens were like swimming pools.

I remember weather reports like
"fine, rain perhaps" and "fine with rain this afternoon" and the like.

I used to sit on the lawn of the house on the opposite side of the street while I waited for the rain to stop so that I wouldn't get wet walking home from school many years ago.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 17 Dec 2011, 7:27 am

Ewok1958 wrote:The best job in the world - one that gives you a 30% payrise and the best super scheme in the country! pirat pirat

Agree with you there Ewok. Self appointed pay increases. How lovely for some. Evil or Very Mad
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 17 Dec 2011, 11:17 am

Hammy wrote:
Ewok1958 wrote:The best job in the world - one that gives you a 30% payrise and the best super scheme in the country! pirat pirat

Agree with you there Ewok. Self appointed pay increases. How lovely for some. Evil or Very Mad

It wasn't self appointed, it was recommended by an independent tribunal and still needs to be approved before implemented.
All the while I'm still waiting for an appropriate agreement to be put in place which has the other side winging that a 9% increase over 3 years is all they can afford. Great thing is that once it's in place I'll be able to get salary forwarding (note, not an extra allowance) of ~$500 so I can buy a pushbike to ride to work.
I love my job.

Fuckers

We are all equal, just some rangers and all her mates are more equal than others (funny, I just watched the original Planet of the Apes series)

/rant

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:21 am

our politicians are actually pretty poorly paid imho.....

Just look at an equivalent position in the private sector and look at their income... might give you some perspective....

Hell, I use to employ doctors that earned more than our prime minister.... She isn't paid much at all....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 18 Dec 2011, 8:04 am

But if we're talking value for money. A Doctor wins hands down any day.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 19 Dec 2011, 12:11 am

Hammy wrote:But if we're talking value for money. A Doctor wins hands down any day.

depends on the doctor. we have a good number of politicians. they just aint the ones getting the headlines.
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:34 am

Hammy wrote:But if we're talking value for money. A Doctor wins hands down any day.

I don't usually take issue with people's views they post here, but after bieng married to two nurses (so far) I have to say that doctors come quite a way down the list, at least after nurses, and even cleaners.

Value for money. Doctors are overpaid. Not hanging shit on doctors at all, just pointing out nurses are far better value for money.

I hope I haven't started any wars.

rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 19 Dec 2011, 8:49 am

Not at all Rolls. I should expand my statement and include all members of the medical professions. I can categorically say that I would not be here today if it was not for the talent of medical staff at the PA Hospital here in Brisbane. Also I do accept that there are polititions that do do a fine job and earn their keep. But hey. Just have a look at parliment question time and ask yourself are we getting value for money ? Mad
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

Hammy wrote: look at parliment question time and ask yourself are we getting value for money ? Mad

Entertainment wise, hell yes.
Watching WA question time is even more fun

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 19 Dec 2011, 9:34 pm

rolls wrote:

I don't usually take issue with people's views they post here, but after bieng married to two nurses (so far) I have to say that doctors come quite a way down the list, at least after nurses, and even cleaners.

Value for money. Doctors are overpaid. Not hanging shit on doctors at all, just pointing out nurses are far better value for money.

I hope I haven't started any wars.

Not sure how being married to two nurses qualifies you ? Try employing some (both nurses and doctors) over a period of several years in primary health care and then we can have an actual discussion.... I have employed horrible nurses myself, I think it comes down to the individual more than the letters in front of or after their name.....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Grover Wed 21 Dec 2011, 6:10 pm

Ewok

When are you going to run for office? Happy to be campaign director for you mate.

A long time ago in my radical student days, I had a mate run for election to the student council. He ran under the ticket (party name) SCUM. It stood for Scandalously Corrupt, Utterley Malicious. He won! Voters figured at least he was being honest!

As for pollies and pay, at risk of making myself (even more) unpopular, I will delcare that I am a former political adviser. I worked 70-80 hours per week and got paid crap money compared to the private sector and even public servants for the amount of responsibility I had. I worked for a Minister and he worked the same hours as me (often more) and had taken a $60k pay cut to enter politics because he wanted to make a difference.

I have worked 7 months straight - including weekends. More times than I can remember, I have gone to work and come home days and even weeks later. During an election campaign, I have worked 20-23 hours a day for weeks at a time, including weekends, only stopping to sleep under my desk for an hour or two.

Show me another industry were people are prepared to do that. In politics, the pay is shit because they know that you don't do it for the money. I would have done my job for free if I could live on fresh air and scenerey.

It's a shit job, because even if you work hard and deliver for your voters, lots of people still hate you. No wonder our country struggles to attract good people into the Parliament. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

As for the perfect job - CEO of Telstra! You can fk your market share, collapse the share price, piss off your customers and still get a bonus of millions of dollars. Where do I sign up for that gig?

Flame On!

"I do not fear death. I was dead for billions and billions of years before my birth and I have not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain
Grover
Grover

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 21 Dec 2011, 6:23 pm

Sorry Grover, I don't fancy a diet of peanuts! monkey monkey monkey

But the Gov't hasn't marketed their payrise properly - at the same time they 'cap' every Federal Public Servant to a 3% PA rise over the next three years they get themselves up to 30%. Not a vote winner from a traditional Labour base. It will be interesting to see the swing in the ACT Federal Electorates in 2013 - Labour actually took quite a hit from these in 2010 (somewaht unextectedly I'd suggest) so there may be a tide effect in 2013. No danger of losing one of them though I wouldn't think.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Grover Wed 21 Dec 2011, 8:01 pm

Ewok

You're at least worth cashews mate. Laughing

Agree that the pay rise offered to public servants is insulting at 3% when inflation is running aroudn 3.5%. In effect, it means a pay cut in real terms. Of course, bashing public servants is a popular past time and there is little sympathy for us "shiney-arsed bludgers" in the broader community.

I agree that Labor will take a hit in the ACT electorates, but there is only two of them so they couldn't give a fk. I know this because I ran the campaign for the seat of Canberra in 2007 for Labor and got the best result ever.

"I do not fear death. I was dead for billions and billions of years before my birth and I have not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain
Grover
Grover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down