Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra

+3
paul
Baz
Ewok1958
7 posters

Go down

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra Empty Canberra - Sydney - Canberra

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 20 Nov 2011, 6:42 pm

Did a great ride over this weekend with a couple of mates to plan our attack on the 2012 WSBK event (which is last weekend in Feb). Our total for the weekend was 875 kms. The weather was perfect 9if not a bit hot) on Saturday and then a small shower on Sunday. The plan was to meet up at Bungendore at 8.30am so packed the Bandit with the luggage (inc a set of motodry panniers bought second hand on eBay for $67). Headed up through Tarago and Goulburn to Taralga for morning coffee.

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra Xxxx0317

Went on from Tarago to Oberon and then Bathurst. We did a few laps of the track and mucked about getting some video for the archives, keeping the Bandit in 2nd gear hoping that would make it sound fast even if it wasn't going too fast! That was a bit of fun and used a bit of time. We then took the obligatory shots on pit straight for the record.

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra Xxxx0318

It was then off to town for lunch. being a crap navigator I couldn't find the pub we had dinner at a few weeks ago on the Bandit overnighter (d'oh) and we ended up at some other pub called the The [something] Family Hotel. The burger and chips was good valus at $10 and even better, each of us got a drink voucher in that price which included a softie or a standard beer. Perfect!

After lunch we headed down the Tarana road on our way to Lithgow. It was quite quaint and picturesque but not very quick! Loved the old railway bridges - pity we didn't see any trains. Don't take this route if you're in a hurry but do take it if you want to have a sightseeing ride through pleasant countryside. From Lithgow we headed down the Bells Line of Road to Kurrajong. Mr Plod was along here, which I understand is usual. The Repsol Fireblade that went past (very quickly) obviously wasn't worried about that. A brief glimpse of his rear tyre was all I saw. Stopped at a lookout for a pee and a drink, knowing we were homing on the suburbia bit.

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra Xxxx0319

It was very hot and getting hotter as we lost altitude. I was glad i made the decision to just ride in the draggins and sneakers and not the Dryriders. The other boys were getting pretty hot.

Then off to navigate our way throught to Engadine. The was pretty simple really, taking Blacktown rd, M7,M5, and then some other road which I've also forgotton the name of (I think it was Route 6 but I might be wrong). Found teh Engadine Motor Inn on the Prince's Hwy and have to say that it was a no-fuss way of getting though the suburbs on a hot day when we didn't want to be sitting at traffic lights. Checked in, showered, and then walked down to Engadine Tavern of some coldies and a good feed. Back to the motel with some wine and beers for the planning exercise, which was successfully completed.

Sunday. Less of a hangover than expected - great start. Packed up and left early heading through Royal National Park. Mr Plod also present (two cars) and lots of pushbike riders and the odd Ferrari or something else exotic. Loved the serenity of the Park in the early hours and stopped for a photo or two.

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra Xxxx0320

Emerged from the Park and had way too lage a breakfast at a nice beachside place where lots of bikes went past or pulled in. This was all very relaxing and some time later we though we should head off. Acorss the Sea Cliff Bridge (of course) and down south.

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra Xxxx0321

Then down to Albion Park (but what was that truck thing happening on the freeway with all the overpasses packed with fans and horns blowing - a protest?). Up MacQuarie Pass behind some really slomo tintops and a stop at the Pie Shop for a liquid refresher. A zillion bikes there and some super machinery arriving every minute - we could spend all day sitting and watching. But of course we can't, so it's then on to Bundanoon for lunch at the pub (we could hardly eat another burger and chips after the over indulgence of breakfast but that didn't stop us trying). We discussed putting on the wet weather gear but things looked ok.

Back to the hwy briefly then down to Bungonia - still no rain. I'm now navigating and take the wrong road to Tarago (never, ever, let me navigate!) - 25kms of gravel and a small sprinkle of rain. Eventually we get back to the blacktop without any of us coming off (but I still don't recommend the Bandit for this loose stuff!). On to Bungendore and it gets showery about 5 kms before we hit town. The draggins are a bit wet but we suit up and say our goodbyes - I'm heading back to the southside and the others are heading to Sutton and northside. A very enjoyable ride and a great result for WSBK as we now have a solid plan and can start to make the bookings and plan out the finer details. If only the spectre of work wasn't looming. Sad
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra Empty Re: Canberra - Sydney - Canberra

Post  Baz Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:14 pm

great ride report! you've ridden most of the great roads I normally ride here on a day out, like Mac Pass which I did on saturday (twice .. it was so good).

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Canberra - Sydney - Canberra Empty canberra - sydney - canberra

Post  paul Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:40 pm

Great report & pics Ewok / sounds like a great ride Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:49 pm

Those roads should be on my list shouldn't they!
Nice ride.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Grover Tue 22 Nov 2011, 4:23 pm

Great ride report Ewok.

But your quote, "25kms of gravel and a small sprinkle of rain." has me worried mate. Can you ever go riding without mud/gravel and rain?

Grover

"I do not fear death. I was dead for billions and billions of years before my birth and I have not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain
Grover
Grover

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:57 pm

Me too!! Even if Google showed bitumen vs dirt, I'd still be in trouble with poor navigational skills. Still, one of the blokes at work told me he made exactly the same mistake as we did a few weeks back, then compounded it by turning off the dirt and ending up back in Goulburn. D'oh!! At least we didn't do that.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Grover Tue 22 Nov 2011, 8:11 pm

Sounds like a good deal on the panniers. How did they hold up on the trip? Do they scratch the bike?

"I do not fear death. I was dead for billions and billions of years before my birth and I have not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain
Grover
Grover

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 22 Nov 2011, 8:28 pm

I reckon I'm going to like them. They don't seem particularly waterproof but then they looked like they'd never been sprayed with any repellant. But they hold a useful extra amount and sit clear of the Yoshi. They rest a bit on the indicators but I can probably nagate that by adjusting the straps. Re scratching, I reckon I'll put a towel under them just to be on the safeside. Sounds simple and should work. I'll definitely take them down to the Island for WSBK - if only to keep the beers and the clothes separated - small disaster in that respect this year! Not that I minded having to wash the clothes and Ventura bag, but what a waste of a good beer! Mad
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:28 pm

Top stuff Ewok. Cheers.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Androo120 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:28 pm

Nice ride. Have ridden all of those roads, but not as 1 trip. Would be an awsome run.Why the trip up to Sydney if going south to the island? Any chance of you getting up to Goulburn this weekend for the Hospital run? As posted in NSW rides. Good post anyway. Thanks.
Androo120
Androo120

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:46 pm

That ride was just our excuse to combine the WSBK planning with a ride that took in some good highlights and got us home earlish on Sunday (many thanks to each of the wives for the leave passes). Whilst the ride was fabulous in iteself, the main purpose was that we used the Sat night to get the WSBK plan fully sorted (which we did - 7 days of bliss for us in Feb!!!!). Oh, and to have a few sherbets (which we also did).

Can't do Goulburn this weekend sorry - have a shed delivery to Bega Valley. Overnighting down there.

Regards,

Ewok
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down