Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My FZ1S Review

+9
potatomasher
reddog
dhula
paul
Hammy
gus
chips
lliquidlen
2wheelsagain
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My FZ1S Review Empty My FZ1S Review

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:22 pm

Well just like a first date to the movies the afternoon hours were counted down to "the time".
4:00 came around and I headed off to Heyfield to ride a strangers newish FZ1S. A bike I have lusted after since the early 00's (2000's for you smart arses Laughing )

There she is in gleaming blue sitting right on the footpath with the shop owner doing the tyre pressures like a race team mechanic.
I approach with caution like a hunting lion and exchange plesentries (I know him) and walk a couple of laps around the bike making small talk just like you do at the movies before slipping the hand under the skirt Evil or Very Mad
David runs over some history of this bike and answers all my questions including well over 250km to the tank on tour which was important to me. Unbeknown to him he puts me off a bit by pointing over his shoulder to a new GSF and said that's just been sold for 11k with ABS and Yamaha are making it difficult for dealers to sell FZ's at a 6k premium.

The Test
Awesome engine. Saw an indicated 100km/h in first. Saw 200 in some other gear quite quick. Engine has very smooth acceleration right from idle with a nice hit between 8 - 10k
Very slick positive gear box
Brilliant brakes. Best I have ever used I reckon.
Nice induction roar that keeps building and the stock can sounds good too but looks bulky.
Pegs, seat, bars relationship almost identical to the B1250. Had been told it was much more sporty but didn't notice. The bike is more compact so you do sit closer to the bars probably by 50mm or so. Seat might feels the same but padding much thinner. No vibes through the wide flat bars.
Paint, fit, finish & components are far superior.

All Good?
No......... The suspension on this bike was way too soft and bouncy. I thought the owner must be a jockey and in that case its probably ok. Turns out he's my size and pillions the Mrs. It seriously just bounced down the road like it had oval wheels.
The throttle had heaps of free play that should be taken out. Owner must be used to it.
The seat produced a tingling vibration which would be tiring after a short time. That could be related to the original Dunlops that were shot (6500km) At sane speeds it is no better until braking is required. At insane speeds it would eat the Bandit for breakfast. A top gear 100km/h roll on would have it lagging well behind the Bandit until it hit 7500rpm so highway overtaking would require dropping back a cog or too.
The dash is very basic. Readable but basic.
Probably was and should be running on 98 RON.

The Verdict
A little dissapointing actually. For most uses its not incredibly superior to the Bandit. It has its place no doubt about that.
The FZ1S is not 7 of 8 thousand dollars better and that's going to be my problem.
I rode home more confused than I thought I would be. Yes its nice. Yes the niggles could be tuned out or fixed very cheaply.
For my needs its no better than what I've got but I love the engine/box/brakes.
Just like slipping the hand under the dress and she whispers I have my period!

$11,000 for a new ABS GSF eh??? Fkuc knows........................

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

My FZ1S Review Empty Re: My FZ1S Review

Post  lliquidlen Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:45 pm

Just what I noticed mate now find a used Gen 1 FZ1 and compare. And please email me you private phone number, the guy I have been texting is not you and I took that number from your email. Very Happy and I think he is gay?

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm

lliquidlen wrote:Just what I noticed mate now find a used Gen 1 FZ1 and compare. And please email me you private phone number, the guy I have been texting is not you and I took that number from your email. Very Happy and I think he is gay?

I don't know what to do so maybe I'll do nothing...........
0466 870 994
Your luck might be changing Sue is away after all. Laughing

You home next Thu mid dayish?

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sat 12 Nov 2011, 7:56 am

keep the bandit and update the brakes?
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:50 am

chips wrote:keep the bandit and update the brakes?
I've never complained about 2 finger braking. The B1250 has great brakes if they're bled properly.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 12 Nov 2011, 9:47 am

I've often thought the Bandit needs to be torn apart and re-assembled properly .Get rid of all unnecessary brackets and paint the frame ,wheels ect
in a good thick layer of paint as a starting point . Fix the wiring and suspension , put the motor back in stock . A good seat and your done .
Actually not that hard to have a great bike . I am going to do this one day (i hope )
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 12 Nov 2011, 9:49 am

Maybe another case of " Better the Devil you know ". Best of luck Chris.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  lliquidlen Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

I am with Gus on this one, I have already done the braided lines (fantastic) Airbox mods, suspension next, forkbrace, Radiator Guard (Done), Dale's Engine guards as I am prone to falling over when not moving, (The Drink).

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 12 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

So after generating a few more grey hairs the last few weeks im probably back to what I was originally thinking.
That is to find a shed mate for Black Betty.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lliquidlen Sat 12 Nov 2011, 2:39 pm

So after generating a few more grey hairs the last few weeks im probably back to what I was originally thinking.

And so it is written in the scriptures, it is far better that man acquires another love than he doth cast out his somewhat dowdy and damaged steed, for they shall live together in harmony to serve his Royal Corpulence in his every need and never once show the sickly green of envy of one another be they of different lands, from far off Italia or the snow capped mountains of Bavaria or the shining Triumphs of Britiania, and if in time to come that The Great Sloth of Sale feels the need to mount yet another noble steed, as the suspension of the previous loves starts to sag, the other two shall welcome it into the Royal Garage and take upon themselves a well deserved holiday.

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 12 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

lliquidlen wrote:

And so it is written in the scriptures, it is far better that man acquires another love than he doth cast out his somewhat dowdy and damaged steed, for they shall live together in harmony to serve his Royal Corpulence in his every need and never once show the sickly green of envy of one another be they of different lands, from far off Italia or the snow capped mountains of Bavaria or the shining Triumphs of Britiania, and if in time to come that The Great Sloth of Sale feels the need to mount yet another noble steed, as the suspension of the previous loves starts to sag, the other two shall welcome it into the Royal Garage and take upon themselves a well deserved holiday.

Chris, you have to mch time on your hands lol!
I will always envy though. Not coverting thy neighbours wife. I have seen her in a bikini and my eyes still hurt Twisted Evil

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 12 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

Well its pointless getting another 4 cylinder bike if your keeping B>B . So its got to be some sort of twin . But what ? Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 12 Nov 2011, 5:01 pm

gus wrote:Well its pointless getting another 4 cylinder bike if your keeping B>B . So its got to be some sort of twin . But what ? Very Happy

I'm having my tea leaves read tomorrow Laughing

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

My FZ1S Review Empty my FZ1s review

Post  paul Sat 12 Nov 2011, 8:43 pm

what about a good TRX or something ( there are still some good ones around ) which you can also tinker with . its a yammy , twin , sounds wicked with a set of pipes ,not a huge outlay & completely different to what you have .( they make a good cafe racer as well ) Very Happy or maybe a bonnie ( newer model ) but not the one with small wheels if your not so small yourself

just some food for thought

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm

Go for something really left field
My FZ1S Review Rgv-500-818282
My FZ1S Review Suzuki_rg_250_gamma_1986_2
My FZ1S Review 2ma-4

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm

dhula wrote:Go for something really left field
My FZ1S Review Rgv-500-818282
My FZ1S Review Suzuki_rg_250_gamma_1986_2
My FZ1S Review 2ma-4

I love the suggestions guys.
Dhula I'm about 80kg to big for those but love the TZR

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm

Did I mention I blew past a FZ1n today at the track day on numerous occasions.

Enjoy the Bandit for what it is... the torque out of the turns was incredible it made lots of bikes look very underpowered (until they came on power in the high revs of course). Brake fade after 6 laps or so was quite obvious though

My mates FZ1 had heaps of power in the higher rev range but thats it.... not leaps and bound sin front of the Bandit.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  lliquidlen Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm

Neither of those two miniature machines will do justice to but one of his testicles, this chap needs a man's machine not something to be ridden by one of his garden Gnomes.

Wake up folks, we do not need a resurgence to motorbikes designed for prepubescent pillocks, surely there is still a place for real men in this pursuit where we can still wipe our chains with old engine oil, some of us may still remember what "points" were and why we carried "Feeler Gauges" (sorry girls, no, not for that purpose)

Chris needs a bike that will cause grief to bikers who wear perforated leathers and BMW Helmets and who refuse to lay their machines down for the cost of the repairs to their Italian Leathers and the danger to their piercings in peculiar places, in other words a "Man Bike" see "STONE" like all those testosterone driven 900cc Kawasaki s, mind you they made a bike for the likes of him and me.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1499284/

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

My FZ1S Review Empty my fz1s review

Post  paul Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:09 am

lliquidlen wrote:Neither of those two miniature machines will do justice to but one of his testicles, this chap needs a man's machine not something to be ridden by one of his garden Gnomes.

Wake up folks, we do not need a resurgence to motorbikes designed for prepubescent pillocks, surely there is still a place for real men in this pursuit where we can still wipe our chains with old engine oil, some of us may still remember what "points" were and why we carried "Feeler Gauges" (sorry girls, no, not for that purpose)

Chris needs a bike that will cause grief to bikers who wear perforated leathers and BMW Helmets and who refuse to lay their machines down for the cost of the repairs to their Italian Leathers and the danger to their piercings in peculiar places, in other words a "Man Bike" see "STONE" like all those testosterone driven 900cc Kawasaki s, mind you they made a bike for the likes of him and me.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1499284/

phew ! z1300 , when you started talking points & feeler gauges I thought you were going to suggest an old pommy bike ( maybe to make him appreciate the bandit more Razz ) my first wife & I took my mum to see stone at the drive-in as a treat for baby sitting for us one night // wasnt quite what she thought it was going to be Embarassed

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Sun 13 Nov 2011, 7:11 am

i think the best thing you could do if you havent done so is get the front suspension fixed with softer damping and harder springs - it will be a new bike for not all that much money - it's a transformation i can assure you and save you all that worry about what bike to buy

[and that Z1300 in liquidlen's link above is quite large - wonder what thats worth]

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 13 Nov 2011, 8:54 am

Gee i was going to say CBR125r ( they look fun Embarassed )And a cheap way to get to work with out a ticket . Not a MANS bike though . I'll stick with it
but i'll need another pic for the man bit .Laverda , you carnt argue with that . Laughing
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

My lips are sealed but I have just emailed off an enquiry for a particular steed advertised on Bikesales Smile

I have decided I'm quite happy to live with the B1250 as a comphy long haul tourer if i can have a scratch machine.
I will probably do heavier fork oil at the next service as its the dive that bugs me more than anything.
It will be up for new fluids then anyway.

Cheers,
Man Bike Hunter Laughing

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 13 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

Here is a well looked after 2002 NSR 150 Very Happy for you 2W

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 13 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:My lips are sealed but I have just emailed off an enquiry for a particular steed advertised on Bikesales Smile

I have decided I'm quite happy to live with the B1250 as a comphy long haul tourer if i can have a scratch machine.
I will probably do heavier fork oil at the next service as its the dive that bugs me more than anything.

Cheers,
Man Bike Hunter Laughing

Mate, even if you do buy a second bike (and I would if I had permission), just ride the Bandit up here to Canberra and get Laurie at Suspension Smith to replace the front springs, valves and oil. Laurie is passionate about bike suspension. It was the best $400 I spent on the Bandit - and just think of the fun you'll have on the Cann Valley Hwy on the way home. Happy to put you you up overnight. Smile
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 13 Nov 2011, 5:13 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:My lips are sealed but I have just emailed off an enquiry for a particular steed advertised on Bikesales Smile

Cheers,
Man Bike Hunter Laughing

Mate, even if you do buy a second bike (and I would if I had permission), just ride the Bandit up here to Canberra and get Laurie at Suspension Smith to replace the front springs, valves and oil. Laurie is passionate about bike suspension. It was the best $400 I spent on the Bandit - and just think of the fun you'll have on the Cann Valley Hwy on the way home. Happy to put you you up overnight. Smile

Thanks mate. I'll keep you in mind. Stay tuned Wink

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down