Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPM at certain speeds

+8
Kaupy1962
2wheelsagain
rolls
Hammy
dhula
gus
paul
chips
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RPM at certain speeds Empty RPM at certain speeds

Post  chips Sat 08 Oct 2011, 7:46 pm

Ok, my first real help me post!

I have some questions about what RPM you guys ride at on your bandits. Remember, mine is the 05 1200s

Ok, so at 60 I stay in 4th and it sits round the 2600-2800 RPM mark

At 100 I'm in 5th (obviously) and it is sitting around 4000 RPM

So, questions are, do you guys prefer to stay in 3rd at 60kph and keep the rpm up or is running around in 4th at this speed all good...

And, at 100kph, is it a good idea to investigate a different sprocket to drop that down a little, to say like 3200-3500 rpm or is 4000 rpm better?

Just wondering with the highway speeds as i reguarly sit at 110kph on the M1 and would like the rpm to sit a little lower than the 4200 RPM mark at this speed.

Thanks for the help.
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

RPM at certain speeds Empty rpm at certain speeds

Post  paul Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

Before this bike I had a 2004 bandit & used to sit in 3rd or 4th @ 60 if maneuvering in traffic or 5th if just cruising along at 60 .I found it didn't labor the motor & if I needed to accelerate hard or on a hill I would kick it back then . It`s a common thing to be looking for another gear with the 5 speed box but I just got used to it / if you do change your sprocket just be aware your speedo may be out /they`re pretty bullet proof & 4200 rpm cruising wont hurt it

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

RPM at certain speeds Empty Re: RPM at certain speeds

Post  gus Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:29 pm

I would say you want to be in a lower gear and keep revs 3.5----4.5. On a day run i quite often never get into 6th .(1250 ) 4 th being the most used if you keep revs higher you will be in the power area and not have to wait for it to "wind up ".It is a good question though as the bandit engine
is so tourque you can ride around in most gears .Unlike a v-twin which will complain .
I often wonder what revs people change from 1st to second .Maybe i can add that question to yours .I guess the whole thing depends on what
face you have on . Race or cruise
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm

lol, so two totally different answers.... I love it...

I see both your points, I'm more likely to sit in 4th at lower rpm than 3rd at higher. With no traffic around there is little need to gun it so I don't need to be in the power band all the time.

Taking off in first and then changing up really depends on traffic and my mood. A couple of times today where the red light was on the down hill I didn't even bother with 1st. The bike has so much torque that it just pulls and pulls from anywhere....

I guess one of the reasons I would like slightly less revs on the highway is that it would stop the bike from doing 130-140 so quickly when my wrist twitches slightly Laughing
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 08 Oct 2011, 9:11 pm

gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 08 Oct 2011, 9:16 pm

the first bandits I think had cable drive but my 2004 had a sensor

I use a throttle lock which gives you the chance to take your throttle hand off the bars to move it around on longer trips / I suppose you could also use it to control your wayward right wrist a bit Very Happy .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 08 Oct 2011, 10:00 pm

I just use what ever gear makes me happy at the time. No real rhyme or reason to any of it.
Have to agree with the comment comparing the bandit with a Vtwin. I now have to think a bit more on gear choice as the big V does complain a bit when opening up the throttle at 60kph in top gear (the bandit didn't give a shit by comparison)

4200prm while cruising is no problem IMO but if you want to change the gearing a bit to lower the RPM's, have a look here for some help in picking what to go for. Keep in mind tho that changing the sprocket sizes, changes all gears, not jsut top so what you gain in lower highway revs, you loose in initial take off and acceleration

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sat 08 Oct 2011, 11:27 pm

Yea, its that loss of take off speed that I don't want to give up, although in saying that I can't imagine giving up a little to be a huge issue when the bike will leave any cage behind in the dust.....

Cable drive vs sensor? Please xplain that a little?

I like the idea of a throttle lock. I guess the idea though of losing a free throttle scares me? Although in saying that I can't live without cruise control in a car anymore. Howerver, I imagine the throttle lock doesn't automatically cut out when you hit the brakes? Its a mechanical thing isn't it?
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 08 Oct 2011, 11:42 pm

chips wrote:Yea, its that loss of take off speed that I don't want to give up, although in saying that I can't imagine giving up a little to be a huge issue when the bike will leave any cage behind in the dust.....

Cable drive vs sensor? Please xplain that a little?

I like the idea of a throttle lock. I guess the idea though of losing a free throttle scares me? Although in saying that I can't live without cruise control in a car anymore. Howerver, I imagine the throttle lock doesn't automatically cut out when you hit the brakes? Its a mechanical thing isn't it?

cable drive speedos are mechanical & are run via a cable from front the front wheel near the hub /sensor run are electrical & run by a sensor on your front sprocket so if your motor is spinning at a different speed it affects your speedo /the throttle lock attaches to your handlebar & has an arm which goes across to a ring you fit to the inside ( larger part ) of the throttle grip with a small leaver you push down to actuate a gripping device around the throttle ring .you can still move the throttle if you need to as it doesn't grip it that tight its just enough to stop the throttle from springing closed.jts a mechanical device . Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 08 Oct 2011, 11:51 pm

First check your F&R sprockets to see if they are std. You will find the std sizes for your bike on the net. Then decide if travelling on the freeway at cruising speed is comfortable, ie, the engine noise is not too loud and there are no unwanted vibrations that would annoy you after a while . Dont worry about a cruise control yet. Get to know your bike like the back of your hand first. Oh, tyre pressures are another huge part of the set up to make your riding more enjoyable. You will learn most things as you go. Most of all enjoy and be safe.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 09 Oct 2011, 12:09 am

thanks hammy, tire pressures are something I check every 2-3 weeks.

It is booked in for its service on the 19th, going to get suspension etc checked out then to see where it is at.

Might enquire about a throttle lock of of curiosity but think i'll spend the money on a zumo first...
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 09 Oct 2011, 12:14 am

Ask your mechanic to measure up your bike with you on and off it for shocky setting. It will make the world of difference. If he says it doesn't matter, take your bike somewhere else. Honost.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 09 Oct 2011, 12:15 am

Hammy wrote:Ask your mechanic to measure up your bike with you on and off it for shocky setting. It will make the world of difference. If he says it doesn't matter, take your bike somewhere else. Honost.

will do.

To be honest this service is being done at a suzuki dealer so this may give me another benchmark to measure them up against
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 09 Oct 2011, 12:17 am

The BEST manual cruise control is the " Brakeaway" cruise control. They are exxy, but worth it. Check them out on the net.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 09 Oct 2011, 12:23 am

thats what I want. something that cancels wit the brake....

I'm liking, $200 + a little for shipping on ebay ain't to bad. Cheaper than the cruise I fitted to my car a while ago.

Will have to add it to the "I want it now" list.... and get it later Sad
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:06 am

My cruise control cost me $9. Crampbuster, CB4 looking at the web site. Takes a second to put on / take off.

crampbuster

I've seen a couple of spread sheets on the net showing rpm related to gear related to speed.

fast larry's
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:17 am

Will have to add it to the "I want it now" list.... and get it later Sad [/quote]

Write out your " Wish List " and rank it in order of importance.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:07 am

With stock gearing on the 1250 I never get out of 3rd on my commute on the days I think of my license.

But seriously it all depends on how quickly you think you might have to GTFOH affraid
In heavy traffic you really want to be bloody close to max launch rate RPM.
I don't trust anyone on 4 wheels to have seen me and its kept me upright for many many years.

Although the engine is cruising in 4th at 60km/h its not the gear you want to be in to save your arse.

Up to you though.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

3rd @ 60 otherwise it chugs. 6th @ 110 is 3,500rpm
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:22 pm

01-05 are the same and standard ratio is 15-45 and at 100km. should sit at about 3600. If yours is on 4000rpm,check your rear sprocket for a start. I`ve only gone to a 48 rear for the first time in 7yr on my bike,and at 100km sits about 3850rpm.
I never ride in 5th at 60. I use 5th 80 and above.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:40 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:01-05 are the same and standard ratio is 15-45 and at 100km. should sit at about 3600. If yours is on 4000rpm,check your rear sprocket for a start. I`ve only gone to a 48 rear for the first time in 7yr on my bike,and at 100km sits about 3850rpm.
I never ride in 5th at 60. I use 5th 80 and above.

Thanks for the tip, i'll get the shop to check the sprockets for me during service as I have no idea what to look for....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 10 Oct 2011, 12:50 am

Put a mark next to one tooth on the sprocket. Count the teeth till you reach the mark. That's how many teeth are on the sprocket.

Sometimes depending on manufacturer the part number might give a hint as to it's make up but not always. Counting teeth is the most accurate IMO

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:04 pm

At 60 I'm in 3rd doing around 3000rpm. I find that if I'm in 4th or 5th I don't have the accelaration I want/need or the engine braking I want/need.

I generally use 2nd at 50, although if it's long stretch at 50 I'll snick it in to 3rd.

Out on the highway 110 (indicated) is about 4000 in 5th.

A couple of weeks ago, just for the hell of it, I rode the 6.5km home from work in 3rd. That's 50, 60 and 80 zones, 7 roundabouts and one set of lights. I was quite impressed by how well it pulled from zero in 3rd (with a little bit clutch finesse).
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 10 Oct 2011, 6:38 pm

Another thing that was popular was to put a 14 tooth sprocket on the front for more acceleration ( + higher revs )

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 10 Oct 2011, 6:48 pm

b12mick wrote:At 60 I'm in 3rd doing around 3000rpm. I find that if I'm in 4th or 5th I don't have the accelaration I want/need or the engine braking I want/need.

I generally use 2nd at 50, although if it's long stretch at 50 I'll snick it in to 3rd.

Out on the highway 110 (indicated) is about 4000 in 5th.

A couple of weeks ago, just for the hell of it, I rode the 6.5km home from work in 3rd. That's 50, 60 and 80 zones, 7 roundabouts and one set of lights. I was quite impressed by how well it pulled from zero in 3rd (with a little bit clutch finesse).

based on this i would guess I'm on stock sprockets.

I think i will add/remove teeth to reduce the RPM. So at 60kph in 3rd I'll be sitting a little under 3000RPM and 100-110kph at 3600-3800RPM (I hope)......
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next