Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

back to 2 suzies int he shed

+2
gus
dhula
6 posters

Go down

back to 2 suzies int he shed Empty back to 2 suzies int he shed

Post  dhula Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:02 am

Sad news unfortunately (well kinda).
After a short flirt with a pommie bike, I'm now back on a suzuki. Not a bandit this time but the mrs' bike has a big brother once again.
After some small (and some not so small) problems and just not feeling the lurve for a number of reasons, the tiger went to find a new owner and a DL1000 came home in it's place.

It's a bit of a funny story how it happened with me and the mrs discussing my next move with the tiger a weekend or so ago and one of those moves was to trade the tiger for a DL of some description but not sure which.
Mrs rang up shop the following Monday morning and did a deal over the phone ands I wasn't even privy to the goingfs on. Tuesday DL turns up in driveway (Black, top box, centerstand, crashbars plus a few other bits). By wednesday arvo the new bike had done just shy of 500kms
THursday morning I went into surgery for my eye which puts me off the road for a while now.
Since I got home I've sat on the bike every day, washed it twice, started it 2-3 times just to hear it run and we are now planning a trip across the nulabour for next year.
Life is grand.

dhula

Back to top Go down

back to 2 suzies int he shed Empty Re: back to 2 suzies int he shed

Post  gus Wed 31 Aug 2011, 6:16 am

Carnt wait to hear the hole story on the Tiger . Sometimes things dont "light your fire " you try to like it but in the end you realize its a
lost cause .Mine was a Triumph Sprint 2006 it just didnt do it for me ,even though i new it was good overall.
I dont have to tell you we want pics do i . Very Happy Good healing with the eye .

Last edited by gus on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:00 am

Didn't see that coming mate.
Can I ask why? My work mate got he's Tiger 800 on the weekend. It Looks good.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:33 am

Good luck with the Strom.

I guess we'll hear the story eventually but was it a case of the smaller Tiger got having the ponies? I've always liked the 1050 Tiger.

Can I borrow your missus? Wink

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

reardo wrote:My work mate got he's Tiger 800 on the weekend
I've a few things to get rid of if he is interested, here is my add for the stuff on ADV

2WA wrote:Can I borrow your missus?
I thought I told you last time what the deal was ;-)

Without this wanting to sound like sour grapes against the tiger, there were a number of reasons that I got rid of the bike which started with a big problem I had on my bike with suspension. At a certain speed the bike would bounce as if there was an unbalanced wheel or out of round wheel at either end. Thing was it was in the 60-70 kph range. No matter what I checked I could not pinpoint the cause. Triumph had my bike for a while and couldn't fix it, I even had the WA triumph rep ride my bike and agree to the problem, but still no resolution. When he told me that his car bounced over the bumps in the road is when I lost faith and decided enough is enough.
There are other things that I ended up not liking but I reckon this was more because of my frustration than anything else as they are not that bad really and probably could be lived with.
Engine heat when the fan kicked in, think along the lines of fucking hot on the lower legs and ankles. On a 23 degree day in town I noticed it big time.
Stalling issue. THis is a well documented problem with some bikes, so much so Triumph have released a new engine tune to try and combat it. I only had it happen a few times but was in the middle of intersections or roundabouts when it happened. I did a little tweeking early on and this may be why I didn't get it as bad as some others have reported.
Clutch. The way the cable is routed sux arse IMO. It causes the engagment to not be smooth when you are trying to turn the bars at the same time and you really need to be on the ball as you have to constantly feather the lever so you don't stall or take off like a bat out of helll while doing slow turns.
The final straw was the support I was getting from Triumph. In my caswe it was not what I would call good, in fact IMHO it was shite.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

There's a lot to be said for after sales support. If you don't get it you service the bike yourself or get rid of it and buy some other make

Good to hear you are back from the dark side Dhula

On a side note I contemplated buying a Sprint ST 1050 in 2007, but the exhaust was also hot through the seat and to be honest the 1050 wasn't that great a motor. Bandit was $12500 ride away with full Givi kit and Sprint had side bags and was 17K ride away. It was a no brainer
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

At last, people that agree with me about the heat from the Triumph motor . More than one i checked to see if my pants were on fire .
Spoilt the hole ride on a warm day .After a high speed run you cooked for 15 mins ..I was glad to get rid of that Sprint. Only had it for 3 weeks
and went and got my Aprilia back .Expensive exercise but a least i wasnt riding around with a frown on my face anymore.

I will never buy a bike with underseat exhaust again.Stupid idea IMHO
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

Refresh my memory. Was yours the 1050 Tiger or the 800 Tiger? My wife is considering a Tiger 800 as a possible replacement for her 750 monster. She's test ridden a 800XC and fell in love with it, she may have to fall out of love with it.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

B12mick: he had the 800.

reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:54 pm

I had the tiger 800 road version.
The XC is a little different in the wheel (cast tubless on road -v- spokes and tubes on the XC), tyre (more road oriented tyres -v- battlewings on the XC) and suspension (taller, bigger fork diameter, more travel, different valving, different springs and slightly more adjustment on the XC) and a few other small cosmetic changes for the XC version but apart form that they are essentially the same bike.
I fell in love with the bike in the first 100 meters of riding the thing also. The engine and gearbox is an absolute cracker when it's fueling right and on song. I played it cool and test rode for another hour after that to be sure and at the time I was very happy with my choice.

The XC from what I know does not suffer or suffer as bad from what mine suffered suspension wise.
I think if the suspension hadn't proved to be a problem on my tiger, I reckon I might still have it - dunno.

dhula

Back to top Go down

back to 2 suzies int he shed Empty Pic of the twins together

Post  dhula Sun 04 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

back to 2 suzies int he shed Bt1w

Still got a few more things to put on the big brither like sump guard (in shed just needs fitting) some power outlets and that'll probably be it for the time being (until I fit something else that is :-) )

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down