Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter Clunk

+10
Ewok1958
xpalan
paul
kewwig
Reardo
Saikhan
Kaupy1962
dhula
gus
2wheelsagain
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Starter Clunk - Page 3 Empty Starter Clunk

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

I did a search but didn't find anything.....

My B1250 has started to have a real clunk when the starter engages. I'm slightly perplexed but its consistent. Anything I can check?
Anyone know how these things work? Its going in for the 24k service next week.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Starter Clunk - Page 3 Empty Re: Starter Clunk

Post  kewwig Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:03 pm

Different part number. The 04 bandit is 31100-26D10. You'd need to physically compare them, but the images on the on line fiches look totally different at the business end. I'd say they are very different.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:47 pm

As long as the spline is the same size is what we need .I havnt taken the starter out so i'm not sure on how it looks .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:15 pm

I can email my mate in the UK he has his own bike repair shop see how much they cost and what freight might cost as well.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 04 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm

Thanks for everyone's assistance.
I picked up a used starter today. I watched them pull it out of a late 08. Feels OK. Well at least it turns! $150.
Didn't get home in time to run it up the shop but will in the morning.

*Warning*
According to thee wrecker, 1250 starters are easily the most sold "non crash damage" item.
Make of that statement what you will but I'm looking for another bike because the way I use mine doesn't give me a lot of hope for not being up for another. Twisted Evil

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Starter Clunk - Page 3 Empty starter clunk

Post  paul Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

I wonder if it was a bad batch or earlier model problem as with the regulator problem .I guess its a case of keeping an eye on it & fingers crossed .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 05 Nov 2011, 7:39 am

Just for interest 2WA, will you compare the 2 staters and see if they are different. As Paul said. They might have been a bad batch. Will be sad if it is a big problem and you change over to something else because of it. I'm sure there will be a lot of 1250 owners out there listening very carefully every time they hit the starter button. Fingers crossed.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 05 Nov 2011, 8:20 am

Hammy wrote:Just for interest 2WA, will you compare the 2 staters and see if they are different. As Paul said. They might have been a bad batch. Will be sad if it is a big problem and you change over to something else because of it. I'm sure there will be a lot of 1250 owners out there listening very carefully every time they hit the starter button. Fingers crossed.
Both starter cases are identical except for the red printed build stamp (not a casting) which you can't see until its out. Can't remember the stamp dates but remember thinking they were about 12 months apart.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 05 Nov 2011, 9:46 am

I wonder if someone contacted the Suzuki tech' dept, would they get any confirmation that Suzuki knew there was a problem, and did something about it. ??
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

I have drafted a letter but not sent it yet. On Cookie's advice I will CC in the editors of our bigger bike mags too before sending this week.
It will be addressed to the Customer Service Manager.

The bike shop showed me a couple of different starters and the Bandit one is the only one to use several smaller magnets. Others use 2 or 3 larger ones. Obviously the more bonding area the better. Design flaw? Yes.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:22 pm

Would a worn battery put a strain on the Starter ? My Aprilia battery has to be 100% perfect or your asking for trouble .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 06 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

Was looking at a new Busa yesterday and saw a few common parts .Then i wondered is the starter motor the same ? I wouldnt mind betting more than
one model shares that starter .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

gus wrote:Was looking at a new Busa yesterday and saw a few common parts .Then i wondered is the starter motor the same ? I wouldnt mind betting more than
From what I have found out a 1250 starter is a 1250 only starter. Even the 650 is different apparently.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:26 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
gus wrote:Was looking at a new Busa yesterday and saw a few common parts .Then i wondered is the starter motor the same ? I wouldnt mind betting more than
From what I have found out a 1250 starter is a 1250 only starter. Even the 650 is different apparently.

Searching the part number only shows the Bandit 1250.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommo1965 Mon 09 Jan 2012, 12:06 am

OP

how did all this agro pan out for you in the end...Im surprised that it wasn't fixed under warranty if its a known issue...looks like mine be be another offender..my bike still has 3 month warranted left on it..but the bikes only done 4500K..seems like a short time for a starter issue...Ill have a word with the bike shop in the morning...im not the original purchaser..so Im hoping the warranty will still cover me ..dont this country have a law that says a item should have a reasonable lifetime regardless of what the manfactuer states in its own warranty ..dont take much to sue ..just a small fee at small claims is enough to get a result Id have thought

Tommo1965

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:19 am

Tommo you will still be covered.
Do you have a relationship with a Suzuki shop? Its worth building one even if you do your own servicing.
In the end the clunk became a "crack". You are new to the bike so what you're hearing might be normal noise. They do have an unusual starter sound. Its a relativelyeasy job to remove the starter and pull the end off to check the magnets. If you see movement in the glued area or cracked magnets its rooted. Eventually they move enough to cause a lock up.
I didn't take it up with Suzuki as I got a replacement for $150. I was well out of warranty and didn't need the stress. It was the trigger to looking for another bike though Wink

Fit for purpose law applies yes but you'd be pushing it on something that has a multi year warranty.
Has your bike had the rec/reg done under the recall?

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommo1965 Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:18 am

no relationship yet..as this is the first Suzuki I've owned I was on a Honda before this ...the starter has locked up...there was no warning..no clunk..just stopped on my driveway..then had to bump start the thing..but at least that was easy in second.....in this day and age I must admit I don't expect things like this to go wrong on a 21 month old bike with under 5000 ks on the speedo!...mind you it didn't cost me much..so that's easing the pain in the arse...I wonder if the new starter will have a two year warranty like the original part ?

not sure about the recall..but it did have service at 3400Ks..which seems like a funny time to have a service..it had the 1000Ks done as per the book...only 2400 later its back in there !...I might ring the original owner

Tommo1965

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:22 am

The original owner should have received a letter from Suzuki requesting he book the rec/reg in for a check. In reality I think they just changed them all although there was no charging issues with any B1250 that I know of. How you transfer the ownership details with Suzuki for warranty or recall notices I don’t know but a Suzuki shop should help you there. There is a thread on here regarding the recall. It was about 12 months ago I think when it started.

You won’t be buying a “new starter” at $850! But if it’s done under warranty it’s not your issue. The problem will be getting one though.
If the shop is compliant I’d get them to put in one from a wreck while they waited for the original part to be shipped from wherever they’re made.
The starters are not repairable if you have the same issue as mine because Suzuki skimped on the magnets (typical as you will learn) which are usually in 2 halves but not in our case.

B1250 starter issues are not uncommon according to anyone in the business. Why yours seems to have failed with so little km’s who knows? At least mine had done many, many thousand starts.

I posted some photos of mine so download them and take them to the shop if you want. I can email them as well if you want.

Some people over service. Some people under service.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Starter Clunk - Page 3 Empty Re Start Clunk

Post  shawry66 Mon 10 Dec 2012, 7:12 pm

Hi Guys,

i think mine is having the same problem.......bugger

Have been having trouble starting bandit. It will start if I jump start with jumper leads on car.

I have put the battery on the charger...Still no start.

I took battery to get tested at battery shop. They said that it was fully charged.

I have checked the wiring from battery terminals to the starter motor... All good no breakages anywhere.

i don't like the sound of what I have been reading about. she has only done 9400k, not many k's for an 09 Bandit.

As I am not experianced in the mechanics department (learning as I go).

Isn't there a better quality starter motor that could be put in place of origonal one?

Also can a replacement be put in by yourself or do I have to take to either Auto elec or Bike shop?

Any help be appreciated.
shawry66
shawry66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum