Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Prepared for Winter Storage

+5
b12mick
bruiser2310
2wheelsagain
kewwig
9 posters

Go down

All Prepared for Winter Storage Empty All Prepared for Winter Storage

Post  1952 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:57 am

I'm a warm weather recreational rider - after 13 months I still haven't ridden in the rain.
Anyway, I took the Bandit for a pre-storage run up to Gawler and across to Two Wells a fortnight ago and was debating whether to have the 6000/1yr service done now or leave it until next Spring just as I start riding again. I have only done 5300 km so it was more a time issue rather than distance travelled. I was going to seek wisdom on this forum but decided I am an adult and I need to make up my own mind. So I just had the service done today at Motorcyclle Revolution because I would rather my bike had fresh oil in it if it was going to sit around for a couple of months than contaminated old oil. Question I have to say the only down side to the experience was walking the 3 kms from (and later back) to the service centre in my motorcycle gear - still the exercise will do me good! It only cost $252 which seemed entirely reasonable to me. I thought Peter(?) was 'trying one on' when he rang and said the centre of the rear tyre was almost down to the replacement tags and offered to put on a new rear tyre whilst the bike was in the shop. Put on the spot I said "No thanks", but a check when I got the bike home supported what he had said over the phone. I hadn't expected great things from the original Dunlops in terms of durability, but I had hoped to get to 8 or 9000 considering my undemanding riding style .. didn't someone get 12000 from their OEMs?
I am still glad I chose not to replace the tyre today because I reckon it has a least one or two more Saturday runs left in it if I take the curvey routes - plenty of depth on the shoulders.
Also I wasn't sure that the bike sitting on a new tyre for two months would do it any good, although I guess they spend at least that length of time in a show room before being sold.
So now my 1250 is tucked up under a large bike cover in the garage until sunshine and warmth create an irresistable call to get out and enjoy.
By the way - I have sworn off unecessary cold weather riding ever since I needed to ride my Yamaha RD400 down from Launceston to Hobart in Tasmania .. it was minus 7 when I set out in the dark. I later tried to work out the chill factor for when I was riding at 100 kph, but I was well off the bottom of the chart .. it only went down to a perceived -35 degrees.
I wonder if others have had equally horrendous experiences?
(I was wearing thermal underwear, double socks, two jumpers and nylon rainpants and ski-jacket - both of which were stuffed with copies of the Examiner newspaper and it still took me over two hours to defrost once I got to Hobart Town - coming back it was an almost balmy 3 degrees and at least I had the afternoon sun)
May inner warmth be with all you 'lucky' sods who HAVE to ride in the cold and rain. No No No

Back to top Go down

All Prepared for Winter Storage Empty Re: All Prepared for Winter Storage

Post  kewwig Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:02 am

Mate, I have a whole Wellington winter ahead of me. Screaming southerlies, horizontal rain. Makes it all an adventure. With heated grips and good gear I actually am warmer and drier than if I took the car to work, as with the bike I can sneak into our building and park in the dry, but with the car I have to park outside and walk a kilometer or more.

It may sound weird, but getting into work after riding through a storm is a strangely satisfying experience (or perhaps relief at still being alive). I have a Dry Rider outfit and cover myself with a fluoro orange waterproof outer thigh length coat and look like a giant orange Teletubby with a fluoro yellow helmet. Amusing, yet visible and dry.

Anyway, there's a good article on winter bike prep at: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/motorcyclewinterstorage.htm

and another at: http://motorcycles.about.com/od/motorcyclemaintenanc1/ss/Winter_Storage.htm

They are really for the cold American winters, but the same principles apply. The biggest things are making sure you have fresh oil in the thing so there's no suspended moisture eating a line into your gears and crank bearings, putting the battery on a tender and a good coat of silicone spray over anything that can rust. Main stand is better than side stand so you keep pressure off the tires.

kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:51 am

While its obviously up to you how where and why you ride I shudder to think how your skills must have dropped off come “the riding season” again.
We can all choose to not ride in appalling weather but parking the bike for a couple of months because of a handful of bad days is a bit excessive. I’m guessing you’re still in Tas but you have some fantastic winter weather there. Two weeks off the bike is enough to wake me up and think carefully about what I’m doing and that’s after 35 years.
I’m a daily rider and I encourage anyone who is able to ride at least once per week because the last thing I need is another occasional rider down headline on the news.

I’m not on my soap box. Just think about keeping your skills up.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

All Prepared for Winter Storage Empty Re:All Prepared for Winter Storage

Post  bruiser2310 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:49 am

i`m with you 2wheels.ok i won`t ride in the rain but every chance i get i`m off round
the block.mind you,the block i use is 140 ks.if i haven`t used the bike for a few days
and can`t take her cause of the weather i wil start her up and run for a while .
i don`t think i will ever store her away.i was of the bikes for 13 years
i`m making the most of it
ride safe lads
bruiser2310
bruiser2310

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:27 am

A mate who trained extensively for many years as a motorcycle instructor said to me once that all the skills we learn are perishable.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

I won't ride in snow, hail or on ice by choice.

But there's no parking the bike just because it's got a little chilly. That's why they invented thermals, wet weather gear etc etc.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

I'm fortunate to be only 42 K north of melbourne and work in the city, so if it's not raining, I'll take 5 ~10 deg C as warm and happilly putt around. I won't ride much in the rain unless I have to as I spent 20 yrs doing the lot, time to be choosy...as a few have said though, you can't beat riding in it all...
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  1952 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:06 pm

"Yes!" to all you brave and tough riders - and if I had unlimited funds I would have a "Winter Outfit" and take on the weather - I am in Adelaide and it is nothing like as cold as Tasmania except if you are up near Mt Barker or out in the frosty northern pastoral districts or down the Fleuriau peninsula in a howling southerly (definitely NOT as bad as New Zealand's worst!). But I have the luxury of riding by choice - so I do.
I WILL ride like a learner for the first ride after I get back on - mind you, I pretty well do so even after a few rides under the belt. I have no illusions about my riding ability .. 4 to 6 out of 10. Always watching, analysing and dissecting each corner but never aiming to be the fastest guy around .. just to be around to do it a bit better another day.
Unlimited funds or even an unexpected bonus would happily see me signing up for a riding course - again, not to be the fastest, but to truly be the safest and smoothest. I don't crave for a huge adrenaline rush every time I go out like a guy I knew, (Peter), on his Suzuki 600cc sportsbike - he took crazy risks racing with his friends on public roads up to Birdwood - and as far as I know he got away with it, but I still rate it crazy and dangerous, i.e. double lines on a blind corner are there for a good reason!
There will almost inevitably be a few sunny days in the months ahead - so I won't go into such deep storage that I can't throw a leg over and get out for a run at short notice!

By the way I love your Bandit kewwig and can understand the joy of riding in adverse conditions WHEN you are dry and warm sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:58 am

Who has unlimited funds? Who said you need to ride like a crazy man to keep your skills up? I choose to not ride with people like that.
My point yesterday was and still is riding is dangerous enough without being rusty every time you get on the bike. I hope you have a heap of good weather and there is no need for "winter storage" which in our part of the world there isnt anyway. Wink

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Grover Tue 14 Jun 2011, 8:08 am

To each their own. I live in tropical Canberra and I choose to ride to work in sub-zero temps rather than take my car. I will avoid riding in the wet though, especially in winter.
Grover
Grover

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:08 am

I had to do a overnighter to the Gold Coast the other day .Thats 6 hours on the road .I normally never take the car on a trip like that ,but the
thought of 6 hours ,6 lane highway,on a police infested long weekend ?
I took the car ,put Roxy Music on the c.d player and was glad i did .Sunshine Coast to Goldie is B.O.R.I.N.G.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

Well, if I lived in a freezing, wet , godforsaken hellhole like NSW or VIC, I'd probably not ride as much either. So I guess to each his own.

However, I am heading down that way again in September. Glutton for punishment I guess. Smile
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down