Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS ?????????

+11
grumpy60
Mpottsy
Bandit Tourist
Mars
dhula
b12mick
Rabid_Canine
2wheelsagain
whitey1
boomer
gus
15 posters

Go down

GPS ????????? Empty GPS ?????????

Post  gus Wed 13 Apr 2011, 7:52 am

So many of you seem to have GPS so what is it about them i dont get ? I'm more the type to take things OFF the bike .
If i want to go from Brisbane to Melbourne i want to see a large paper map to see which way is best ,NOT shortest. The end result is
normally a squiggly line .Then there is taking the map out at the end of the day in the motel room over a beer planning tomorrows trip.
Five people pointing at a GPS screen i would say doesnt work . In the city ,yes ,but i'll take the car thank you.
If i'm going from A to B i normally end up at at C because i changed my mind half way .
So far i'v managed to find my way home without GPS.

What am i mssing here.?????? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

GPS ????????? Empty Re: GPS ?????????

Post  boomer Wed 13 Apr 2011, 8:49 am

gus wrote:

sounds like decades of technological advancement!

i put the gps on the bike only on rare occasions more as a backup for if i get myself thoroughly lost!
like the FarRide to Nambucca - I had not been in that neck of the woods previously, so it was good to plug in the route that I'd worked out on google maps. the occassional glance was good to ensure when the next turn off was, or how far to the next goal.

FarRider #412

GPS ????????? Yoshi2
boomer
boomer

http://www.scottspics.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 8:55 am

Gus, you're either a gadget man or you're not. I like gadgets and therefore I like GPS's but I'm with you on trip planning using paper maps. It's so much easier to look at the whole route on a paper map than on a small screen and then you get to see other routes that you hadn't thought of.
A GPS is great for finding your way around town and it can tell you exactly where you are out in the bush but I still reckon you need paper maps as well when planning a trip(and when the thing wont lock onto any satilites).
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:27 am

Isnt that one reason we ride a bike to get throughly lost to places we have never been before. Besides you carnt throw a dart at a GPS unit,
well you can and i am willing. When was the last time we REALLY went bush on a road bike.
Our son came out with the classic statement once "Why would anyone want to go to the outback ,there's nothing there ." Razz
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:32 am

I like gadgets and I like GPS's but I don’t want one on my bike. I don’t want the clutter. I don’t want the splicing into the electrics. I carry a couple of pages of Google maps if I have to and I guess on a big trip I would carry a map or map book in the seat bag. How lost can one get on a big road bike with a 300 + km range?

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:34 am

400 kls + Very Happy You mean.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:37 am

gus wrote:400 kls + Very Happy You mean.

No I meant over 300 Laughing "normal people" start looking well before 400km lol!

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:51 am

For serious outback travel your need one of these ,a snorkel .
GPS ????????? IMG_1915
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:03 am

gus wrote:What am i mssing here.?????? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Well, I for one have just ordered a GPS, and it is because I have given up using street directories because I cannot read the street names, even with my prescription reading glasses, in anything other than excellent lighting conditions.
Might be fine for you Sunshine staters, Gus, but down here at the minute the days are often dull..... Very Happy
Other than that, I would prefer the old analague system (maps), and still plan my rides on a map and then transcribe to MotoWhere first, for example:
http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Rabid-Canine-s-Half-A-Tank-Sunday-Fang
Once you have built a route map using your paper map you can create it in MotoWhere and then export the data to a .GPX file for downloading into your GPS. See the Share menu on the linked route.

When you're on unfamiliar roads the GPS can alert you to upcoming turn-offs etc. Helpful when fanging through the twisties and potentially missing a turn. Particularly if you are leading a group and don't want a dozen riders backed up behind you and cursing your parentage for leading them in the wrong direction....... Very Happy

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:23 am

[quote="Rabid_Canine"]
gus wrote:What am i mssing here.?????? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Once you have built a route map using your paper map you can create it in MotoWhere and then export the data to a .GPX file for downloading into your GPS. See the Share menu on the linked route.

Thats getting complicated and awkward from my tent. Very Happy (this is all in good fun here ,i have no complaints really of GPS ) So far its just not for me.

gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 13 Apr 2011, 11:47 am

gus wrote:So many of you seem to have GPS so what is it about them i dont get ? I'm more the type to take things OFF the bike .
If i want to go from Brisbane to Melbourne i want to see a large paper map to see which way is best ,NOT shortest. The end result is
normally a squiggly line .Then there is taking the map out at the end of the day in the motel room over a beer planning tomorrows trip.
Five people pointing at a GPS screen i would say doesnt work . In the city ,yes ,but i'll take the car thank you.
If i'm going from A to B i normally end up at at C because i changed my mind half way .

I'm with you. For the majority of the time all you need is a good map, the ability to read a map and a sense of direction (or failing that a compass).

b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Wed 13 Apr 2011, 2:24 pm

b12mick wrote:....all you need is a good map, the ability to read a map and a sense of direction

Yup, but as I said earlier, if one of those fails you (in my case my reading vision), with the average street directory in particular, and some maps, you are screwed. The advantage of the GPS - and the only advantage that made me buy one - is that they have larger fonts that are readable for old bastards like me, and the backlit screen means I can read it even at night.
Ask my daughter about when her dad has to take her somewhere unfamiliar at night, and how cranky he gets when he can't read the street directory...............

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:43 pm

then export the data to a .GPX file for downloading into your GPS

Isn't that a motorbike..........................

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Mars Wed 13 Apr 2011, 7:58 pm

gus wrote:For serious outback travel your need one of these ,a snorkel .
GPS ????????? IMG_1915

Cracked me up lol! lol! lol!
Mars
Mars

Back to top Go down

GPS ????????? Empty GPS Speedo?

Post  Bandit Tourist Sun 24 Apr 2011, 6:14 pm

I find the GPS is excellent helping to judge the distance to the next fuel stop and on a Bandit if your not looking for your next fuel stop, your not enjoying everything that the Bandit is!!
Bandit Tourist
Bandit Tourist

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Sun 24 Apr 2011, 8:25 pm

gus wrote:So many of you seem to have GPS so what is it about them i dont get ? I'm more the type to take things OFF the bike .

For me the choice is two fold

Firstly being able to pre plan a route into the unknown especially for someone who has no idea where he is even in Sydney CBD yet alone the wonders of NSW. For someone who is a lone rider for most trips as I have yet to make friends with bikes. ( please no need to feel sorry for me I'm getting there)

Secondly to map routes when I enjoy a ride that is lead by someone else. I can just save the route take to
favorites for future excursions.

There is also the added benefit of being able to find fuel no matter how far you go.

Last edited by Mpottsy on Sun 24 Apr 2011, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Miss spelled word damn auto fill text)

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Sun 24 Apr 2011, 8:35 pm

on a recent trip to Gosford I sat in the motel room and programmed all the address of uncles and cousins and saved to favourites...next day just went from one to the other......worked fine for me......................Grumpy jocolor

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 9:54 am

I use a gps on the bike quite a lot. When I pull up for the night I make changes to my planned route on my laptop and then upload to the gps. I have an overall planned trip, but when you get to areas you always run into people that say "oh you should see this or that", stuff that often isn't on the paper maps. It has also proven to be excellent with it's speed trap warnings. Finding fuel in unfamiliar areas is a breeze. And you can upload regularly updated (mostly by the users) info on rest areas, sites of historical significance or just about any crap you can think of. I set mine to try to miss freeways and highways.

I don't speed a great deal, however just a few over can be enough to put a hole in your wallet nowadays. The GPS alerts mixed with using Trapster have been excellent tools.

I still take the huge paper maps as well, but they never get unfolded anymore.

Long story short, it's the 21st century and I am going to embrace every gadget (i find useful) they throw at me. Very Happy
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 26 Apr 2011, 10:21 am

Hang on, you mean you take a lap-top with you as well? Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Tue 26 Apr 2011, 10:39 am

What's wrong with a Sextant & the stars ?
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 2:28 pm

gus wrote:Hang on, you mean you take a lap-top with you as well? Very Happy

Sure do, tethered to the iphone for full access to google maps. The iphone will do the maps but I prefer the larger screen.
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:53 pm

I'm so far behind ,i dont even have a mobile phone . pale
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Freeway Tue 26 Apr 2011, 7:27 pm

With you all the way Gus - I have an early version of the GPS known as UBD & tend to judge next fuel stop by the fuel gauge conveniently positioned on the dash!! I even refuse to have a gps in my courier van. Does this make me a Luddite?? Unfortunately not as I will confess to having one of those new fangled mobile phone thingos & seem to be using the magic interweb at this point. Will concede that the early version gps does present a problem with my fading elderly vision & chronic confusion as to the location at any given time of the spectacles required to address this problem ! What's an i phone?

Freeway

Back to top Go down

GPS ????????? Empty Alternate uses

Post  Pete Sun 01 May 2011, 12:28 am

Navigation aside, the TomTom Rider 2 is great for reminding you of speed cameras, safety cameras, school zones, speed limit changes, fuel and parking stations, etc when riding around the city. It's the main reason I have one.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum