Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford Heated Grips

+17
mtbeerwah
madmax
sb1250
barry_mcki
holdenman
Cameron
Bhoffo
Pete
Mpottsy
gus
Rabid_Canine
rolls
kewwig
Four40
Baz
boomer
potatomasher
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Oxford Heated Grips - Page 3 Empty Oxford Heated Grips

Post  potatomasher Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Has these fitted a couple of weeks ago - a fabbo item and recommended. u can see them if you look closely - and if u look even closer at the names on the places over the street u will see that this particular bike was the highest bandit in australia
[img]Oxford Heated Grips - Page 3 Wollon12[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Oxford Heated Grips - Page 3 Empty oxford heated grips

Post  ghost1 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:50 pm

I have a set of the newer grips and was just wondering how many people hooked them up directly to the battery, or did they hook up to the ignition???? If someone has used an ignition system, or a spare fuse, could you please show me some photos as I dont really want hook up directly to the battery. I did this on an 80"s bike that I didnt ride that often and it kept draining the battery. I was also thinking if I do go to the battery I might just rig up a quick detachable connection at the battery and plug it in before I start riding. It would take all of 1 min to connect?????? Any info would be appreciated.

ghost1

Back to top Go down

Oxford Heated Grips - Page 3 Empty Re: Oxford Heated Grips

Post  madmax Thu 29 Mar 2012, 4:11 pm

ghost1 wrote: I have a set of the newer grips and was just wondering how many people hooked them up directly to the battery, or did they hook up to the ignition???? If someone has used an ignition system, or a spare fuse, could you please show me some photos as I dont really want hook up directly to the battery. I did this on an 80"s bike that I didnt ride that often and it kept draining the battery. I was also thinking if I do go to the battery I might just rig up a quick detachable connection at the battery and plug it in before I start riding. It would take all of 1 min to connect?????? Any info would be appreciated.

All you need to do to connect to the battery is to use a relay. Use the headlight wiring as the trigger wire. That way your grips will be powered from the battery but only work when the headlight is on.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

I velcroed a relay into the undertray, and ran the coil side of the relay across the numberplate light circuit for a switched feed.

I have a full writeup and wiring diagram at: http://kewwibike.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/wiring-heated-grips.html

The headlight feed is OK as well, but I suggest if you want the relay up front, run the coil of the relay off one of the two side lights, so if anything goes wrong you don't lose your headlight.

The Oxfords in theory have a circuit that switches them off if the battery voltage is low, but my mate found out on his V Strom that they do switch off after it's too flat to do anything....
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:43 pm

I switched mine to the headlight with a fuse because I was worried that if I lefted it connected to the tailight I would accidentally switch the bike to parklights and walk away. Something I've done twice so far. Embarassed
Bloody parklights, who needs them Rolling Eyes

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  masterA Tue 15 May 2012, 5:27 pm

madmax wrote:
gus wrote:I'll say it again .High -Off -Low switch is all you need .Why over complicate it ? I dont need that controll panel sitting there doing nothing for
8 momths either ,its hardly attractive .

I don't know about only 2 settings. I like to vary mine at different times.
and I think this one looks pretty good

oops forgot to add the link

Im assuming these are from lockitt (dot) com?

I had to delete the link and made "modifications" to above address as ...
New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.

Did anyone buy the Symtec controller instead of the Oxford one?
masterA
masterA

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony Pearce Sat 02 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

Hello everbodey! I'm baaaack. And I'm mad as hell! First, Thanks for the help you gave re the Givi pannier racks that didn't fit my Bandit. So, having had to bend my spare ignition key to unlock the seat, I went back to the dealer and ordered a blank key so I could have a spare cut to leave at home so that if I lost my keyring in Sydney or Mildura (at the Ulysses AGM) I could ring my wife and get her to drop them off for me. He tried to charge me $30 for them. There followed a robust conversation ending with him threatening to "put me on my arse".
Moving on, I did make the effort while I was in Sydney to go to Carlisles ( the distributor ) to show Craig my bike and pannier racks. He was gobsmacked and confessed that there was no way the racks could fit my (2010) model Bandit. My advice: get the V41+E35s setup featured in the photos you posted. Bottom line: I made the racks work; I got the key for free and; I got a partial store credit for my trouble.
Moving on TO THE POINT: Oxford heated grips.
When I got my DL 1000 V Strom 4 years ago, I had the dealer at Nowra fit Oxford heated grips. They have worked fine.
However, recently, I got the local dealer at Bega (yes, my friends, that dealer)
to fit Oxford heated grips to the Bandit and guess what?
They do not work!
Specifically, the left hand side does not even get warm, even when set to 100%, when the RHS is hot as hell.
Also, the supply lead on the LHS has been inverted so that it covers the "Passing" switch. These ......people.....think it's OK to remove a safety function to fit an accessory.
These....people.... think it's OK to deface my bike so they can make some money fitting an accessory which half works! At my first approach, the ....mechanic(?).......
opined that the LHS is always cooler because the throttle sleeve on the RHS insulates the handle. But the LHS is stone b;oody cold.
So here we go again. I'll keep you all posted. I'll send photos. Looks like I'll have to fix it myself. If it's fixable. Any advice appreciated.
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:14 pm

Anthony Pearce wrote:Hello everbodey! I'm baaaack. And I'm mad as hell! First, Thanks for the help you gave re the Givi pannier racks that didn't fit my Bandit. So, having had to bend my spare ignition key to unlock the seat, I went back to the dealer and ordered a blank key so I could have a spare cut to leave at home so that if I lost my keyring in Sydney or Mildura (at the Ulysses AGM) I could ring my wife and get her to drop them off for me. He tried to charge me $30 for them. There followed a robust conversation ending with him threatening to "put me on my arse".
Moving on, I did make the effort while I was in Sydney to go to Carlisles ( the distributor ) to show Craig my bike and pannier racks. He was gobsmacked and confessed that there was no way the racks could fit my (2010) model Bandit. My advice: get the V41+E35s setup featured in the photos you posted. Bottom line: I made the racks work; I got the key for free and; I got a partial store credit for my trouble.
When I got my DL 1000 V Strom 4 years ago, I had the dealer at Nowra fit Oxford heated grips. They have worked fine.
However, recently, I got the local dealer at Bega (yes, my friends, that dealer)
They do not work!
Specifically, the left hand side does not even get warm, even when set to 100%, when the RHS is hot as hell.
Also, the supply lead on the LHS has been inverted so that it covers the "Passing" switch. These ......people.....think it's OK to remove a safety function to fit an accessory.
These....people.... think it's OK to deface my bike so they can make some money fitting an accessory which half works! At my first approach, the ....mechanic(?).......
opined that the LHS is always cooler because the throttle sleeve on the RHS insulates the handle. But the LHS is stone b;oody cold.
So here we go again. I'll keep you all posted. I'll send photos. Looks like I'll have to fix it myself. If it's fixable. Any advice appreciated.

some simple advice "don't go back !" when that dealer has had a monopoly for 25 years or more he has care factor of nil he has a captive audience
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 02 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm

Anthony Pearce wrote:Hello everbodey! I'm baaaack. And I'm mad as hell! First, Thanks for the help you gave re the Givi pannier racks that didn't fit my Bandit. So, having had to bend my spare ignition key to unlock the seat, I went back to the dealer and ordered a blank key so I could have a spare cut to leave at home so that if I lost my keyring in Sydney or Mildura (at the Ulysses AGM) I could ring my wife and get her to drop them off for me. He tried to charge me $30 for them. There followed a robust conversation ending with him threatening to "put me on my arse".
They do not work!

I don't know why Mr Murphy keeps visiting you Exclamation you must have done something to really piss him off.
As for your heated grips either you have a dodgy set or a dodgy mechanic. Or maybe both. One reason I prefer to do things myself.
I can tell you they will definitely work on your bike. I'd start by undoing the wiring and plugging the LHS into the right-hand wiring and see if the problem swaps sides. If it doesn't you've got a faulty grip
If it does then either the controller is faulty or the wiring is.

Unless he glued the LH grip on it should be able to turn around to clear the Highbeam pass flash switch

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum