Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover

4 posters

Go down

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover Empty Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover

Post  Meatbix Thu 29 Apr 2021, 5:53 pm

My otherwise tidy, 23,000km bike had a bad case of ‘Suzuki rot’ on the front of the left engine cover. You know the stuff, the nasty bubbling and flaking of the cheap engine enamel zukes use. Combined with some scuffs from a stationary drop (make sure that kickstand is actually down people. Bandits are heavy!) I decided to have crack at a quick repaint, and was pleasantly surprised with the result!

Time taken: 

• about an hour, plus an hour for drying

Materials used: 

• Dupli-Color engine enamel (DE1615 aluminium colour)
  • 120, 320 and 400 grit wet & dry sandpaper
  • can of Repco spray degreaser
  • masking tape
  • last weeks Aldi cattledog

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover 97686810

Sprayed the area down with degreaser and gave it a good clean off to remove any greasy crud. Hosed down and dried with a clean rag.

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover B87f3c10

Sanded all the nasty shit and large gouges off with the 120 grit wet & dry. Once all that was gone I hit it with the 320 grit till it was as smooth as I could get it, then smoothed it out more with the 400 grit. Hosed it all down again. Where water beaded on any of the surfaces to be painted I hit them again with degreaser and gave them another buff with the 400 grit paper. 

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover Fb0aa410

Masked the whole area off carefully including the bolts.

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover 7eeb5410

Sprayed according to the instructions on the tin (2 light coats and one medium coat, 10 min apart) 

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover 8961cc10

Waited an hour and removed the masking. And that’s it! The colour was a perfect match, despite only really spraying the front half of the cover you really can’t see where the old and new paint meet. Might give it a buff with really fine wet & dry once it’s fully cured, but tbh it doesn’t need it.

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover 64529610

Last edited by Meatbix on Thu 29 Apr 2021, 11:20 pm; edited 6 times in total
Meatbix
Meatbix

truck and Joflewbyu2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover Empty Re: Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover

Post  Meatbix Thu 29 Apr 2021, 6:11 pm

Sorry for the rubbish formatting, still getting the hang of posting to this forum on a mobile :/
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover Empty Re: Fixing “Suzuki rot” on engine cover

Post  GSX1100G Thu 29 Apr 2021, 8:31 pm

you are spot on re colour, excellent. Now I know what code to get the paint mixed to do frame etc for when I complete the trailer. 👍

Back to top Go down

Post  Meatbix Thu 29 Apr 2021, 8:41 pm

GSX1100G wrote:you are spot on re colour, excellent.  Now I know what code to get the paint mixed to do frame etc for when I complete the trailer. 👍
Lol code? It was an off the shelf rattlecan from Supercheap! Wasn’t actually expecting it to be that good but figured it’d still be an improvement from the shitty state it was in.
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Thu 29 Apr 2021, 8:56 pm

Meatbix wrote:
GSX1100G wrote:you are spot on re colour, excellent.  Now I know what code to get the paint mixed to do frame etc for when I complete the trailer. 👍
Lol code? It was an off the shelf rattlecan from Supercheap! Wasn’t actually expecting it to be that good but figured it’d still be an improvement from the shitty state it was in.
I'll be using Dulux metal shield white,  I can tint it to that or very similar colour code. There will be a number of some description on a can, will have look next time I'm there 👍
GSX1100G
GSX1100G

Meatbix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Meatbix Thu 29 Apr 2021, 10:23 pm

GSX1100G wrote:
Meatbix wrote:
I'll be using Dulux metal shield white,  I can tint it to that or very similar colour code. There will be a number of some description on a can, will have look next time I'm there 👍
Mate you’re all over it, I’m just a rank amateur  Razz

The code on the sticker is DE1615 Aluminium, hope that’s what you’re looking for Smile
Meatbix
Meatbix

GSX1100G likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Joflewbyu2 Fri 07 May 2021, 12:17 pm

Great job.

Joflewbyu2

truck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 09 May 2021, 6:11 pm

To do the bolts, take most of them out. I think I left only 2 or 3 in. Paint as required then replace the bolts. When dry, remove the 3 that got painted and clean them up with thinners.

madmax
madmax

Re-Cycled likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down