Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idiot of the year award

+2
Chook
Daffy
6 posters

Go down

Idiot of the year award Empty Idiot of the year award

Post  Daffy Sun 15 Nov 2015, 8:00 pm

Reckon I good as won today.

Started off doing the right thing.  Checked tyre pressure, checked oil.  Was up on centrestand, and I couldn't tell if there was no oil in the window or it was full.  Yep, probably should have taken it off the stand.  jocolor  Anyhoo, added a bit of oil, got distracted by the dog, geared up and took off.  Was planning on my favourite 300km blast from Canberra through to Gundaroo, Gunning, Crookwell, Goulburn, Tarago, Bungendore and home.

Had a great ride out on the country roads, then pulled into a servo in Goulburn to fuel up for the second half.  That's when it got "interesting".  

As I pulled in, I used the rear brake to pull up at the bowser.  Seemed dodgy - no braking.  Then I got off and looked at the seat - it was wet.  So was the right hand side of my pants.  And what was that smoke??

Idiot of the year award 3579372250 I had left the oil filler cap off.  Oil has sprayed over most of the rear right hand side of the bike.  Including the rear disk, exhaust, fairing, seat...... Idiot of the year award 3505673087

Faaaaaaaaaaaark.  Rang the wife, who found the cap and some spare oil and drove out to meet me.  Topped it up, cleaned it up.  Motor had been running perfectly, and continued to on the way home.  Just no rear brakes......

Reckon a bit of degreaser might be in order.

And some bandages for the series of self-inflicted uppercuts.  Frikken idiot.  Sigh.
Daffy
Daffy

Back to top Go down

Idiot of the year award Empty Re: Idiot of the year award

Post  Chook Sun 15 Nov 2015, 8:32 pm

Change the pads, the oil will have soaked right in and every time the pads get hot it will be drawn to the surface.

............................................alternatively, these pads should nearly last forever if you decide to keep them Wink
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 15 Nov 2015, 8:48 pm

Yep , the oil tends not to stay in there without the one in the top or the one in the bottom of the motor in place . Could have been a lot worse seeing as you didn't notice it until you stopped  affraid

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 15 Nov 2015, 8:59 pm

A little oil goes a long way so you probably didn't lose much. Lucky you stopped though.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 15 Nov 2015, 9:00 pm

Chook wrote:Change the pads, the oil will have soaked right in and every time the pads get hot it will be drawn to the surface.

Idiot of the year award 959052286

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 15 Nov 2015, 10:13 pm

I did that on the first bike I ever owned. 1982 XT250

I had just changed the oil at night, and went for a test ride. Felt a warm sensation on my leg, then started to smell oil,
luckily, I had only gone about 2k`s before I noticed it.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down