Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RAIN & SUMMER!

+3
Four40
gus
Ewok1958
7 posters

Go down

RAIN & SUMMER! Empty RAIN & SUMMER!

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 09 Jan 2011, 8:06 pm

Guys,
Went out this morning for a 250kms round trip in the rain. Sounds mad but there was method to the madenss (well I hope so). Thinking of the trip to WSBK in Feb and the likelihood that the weather will be about the same as it is now - more's the pity! So thought I'd test out the wet weather gear in anticipation of a 1,600 kms trip in the rain/drizzle/flood.

The summer gloves previously sprayed with water-proofing compound didn't last too long and soom got soaked again so am not sure if I need to be using winter gloves or not. Would they be any better? I have a pair but am not going out again just to test them. I'll pack them as backups just in case I need to change mid-trip.

The Dririder full suit worked well (without any waterproofing having been applied). I had it on from the time I left the driveway. The jacket and jeans didin't get wet at all, so the full suit is definitely coming to the Island in February - I might even wear it to save packing it. Of course, in the heat these types of suits can generate as much condensation/sweat as rain so undercloathing will be an issue.

I was wearing sneakers and 100% wool socks rather than boots - again part of the test. The sneakers ended up full of water but my feet were warm despite that. For WSBK I'll be wearing the Alpinestars boots down and back and packing the sneakers for the day/night activity.

Another thing I tested was the helmet. I found if I rode in an unnatural face down position, the water cleared from the visor more naturally, keeping visibility better. It was a bit like looking over reading glasses (you youngsters will just have to imagine!) and you couldn't do it for long but it was an alternative to the usual side by side way of clearing the rain-soaked visor. It may depend on the geometry of the helmet (this was an RJ's) and might not be useful for others (I also have an HJC but haven't used it in the rain).

Hope that is useful.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

RAIN & SUMMER! Empty Re: RAIN & SUMMER!

Post  gus Sun 09 Jan 2011, 8:17 pm

Good effort Ewok .I haven't stepped outside at all today.(50mm of rain an HOUR at times )
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Mon 10 Jan 2011, 11:40 am

Andystrapz Over gloves worked for me when I went down to PI in 2009. Mine need a bit of re water proofing, slight leaks on the left hand glove. Ridden through some pretty heavy rain and bone dry.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 10 Jan 2011, 11:46 am

There was a photo in 2wheels magazine about 2 years ago in the "on any sunday pages" of a mate of mine wearing washing gloves over his riding gloves. It made the mag because they were pink! Apparently they worked well.
The same mate on the same ride had plastic bags over his boots but they didn’t last long moving about on the pegs.
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 10 Jan 2011, 11:50 am

Heard good reports on those. Keep your hands warm and dry without needing a super bulky winter glove sounds ideal.

Tried the washing gloves but hands sweated ,some other guys liked them .(thats a big help then )

Before boots became waterproof ( ?) would put plastic bags over socks and then boots on.That works well ,and no flapping.Hate flapping.

Last edited by gus on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  step_andy Mon 10 Jan 2011, 2:17 pm

I ride shine or rain...
Therefore, I have invested in a good quality rain protection. I managed to get an Aussie Post outfit (pants and jacket in bright yellow). Works well.
Also bought a decent pair of waterproof boots.
Only issue remains gloves. Hate anything bulky ...

Also, fogging visor can be a problem. Invested in a pin lock system, it gets rid of fog.

step_andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Mon 10 Jan 2011, 3:42 pm

step_andy wrote:. I managed to get an Aussie Post outfit (pants and jacket in bright yellow). Works well.
Interesting, I'll have to look around the local work gear stores to see if I can find something similar. While my gear works fairly well, I'm not a huge fan of the colour black.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 10 Jan 2011, 4:19 pm

Bet it doesnt pack up small.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 10 Jan 2011, 4:25 pm

Four40 wrote:Andystrapz Over gloves worked for me when I went down to PI in 2009. Mine need a bit of re water proofing, slight leaks on the left hand glove. Ridden through some pretty heavy rain and bone dry.

Had a look at these over gloves/mits today and talked myself into a set - even though they were not cheap at $85 from Canberra Motorcycle Centre. They certainly look like they'll work though and it may be that a set of summer weight golves underneath will do the trick.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 10 Jan 2011, 5:11 pm

That's what was recommended to me .Light to med. glove with those over mitts plus heated grips for serious cold.
I know that thick gloves and heated grips dont work all that well.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Mon 10 Jan 2011, 5:19 pm

gus wrote:I know that thick gloves and heated grips dont work all that well.
I found my handguards on my KLE500 combined with thick winter glovers and thin liners did a admirable job in keeping my fingers warm. Not sure I want to install handguards onto the bandit though.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 10 Jan 2011, 5:33 pm

I have them on mine winter only (hand guards,off a V-strom Suzuki $95 ) Summer gloves,guards,heated grips cold Tassie days. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  step_andy Mon 10 Jan 2011, 5:47 pm

gus wrote:Bet it doesnt pack up small.
It isn't too bad. I have 34 L GIVI at the back and I can fit jacket, pants, helmet and gloves when not in use.

step_andy

Back to top Go down

Post  step_andy Mon 10 Jan 2011, 5:50 pm

Four40 wrote:
step_andy wrote:. I managed to get an Aussie Post outfit (pants and jacket in bright yellow). Works well.
Interesting, I'll have to look around the local work gear stores to see if I can find something similar. While my gear works fairly well, I'm not a huge fan of the colour black.
Hence I went for a fluro yellow. I bought it at DFO from one of the outdoor shops. They were selling them without any branding. Feels like goretex to me.
Paid about 45 for pants and 90sih for a jacket. Got XXL to fit over my leathers and jacket is touch too big

step_andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Sat 22 Jan 2011, 3:10 am

Waterproof clothing is v important in Ireland as it pisses rain approximately four times a day. I got sick of buying jackets and pants that lose their waterproofing every couple of years or after the 1st wash, so from now on everything I get is Hein Gericke Goretex that comes with a lifetime waterproof guarantee. If it lets water in, I get my money back.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  NZer11 Sat 22 Jan 2011, 8:12 am

Tommyboy wrote:Waterproof clothing is v important in Ireland as it pisses rain approximately four times a day. I got sick of buying jackets and pants that lose their waterproofing every couple of years or after the 1st wash, so from now on everything I get is Hein Gericke Goretex that comes with a lifetime waterproof guarantee. If it lets water in, I get my money back.

I had a look at their website -looks like good stuff. Shame we can't get their gear here in Oz.

NZer11

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Tue 01 Feb 2011, 8:37 pm

NZer11 wrote:
Tommyboy wrote:Waterproof clothing is v important in Ireland as it pisses rain approximately four times a day. I got sick of buying jackets and pants that lose their waterproofing every couple of years or after the 1st wash, so from now on everything I get is Hein Gericke Goretex that comes with a lifetime waterproof guarantee. If it lets water in, I get my money back.

I had a look at their website -looks like good stuff. Shame we can't get their gear here in Oz.

That is a bummer. They do the best gear.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down