Tyres: Feedback

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyres: Feedback

Post  Sloth_27 on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 11:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone with feedback about the different tyres they've run on their bikes post some info here. I dragged 6000km out of the originals but should've chucked them at 5000km. They seem to go good then all of the sudden start falling apart...

I put on a set of Michelin pilot road 2's (front and back) and they seem pretty good. Unfortunately I already got a puncture after only about 1000km and had to get it repaired. It was a big hole (part of a hacksaw blade went through the rear) and the repair job is good but it losses a few PSI each week.
Sloth_27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  mtbeerwah on Tue 11 Jul 2017, 3:49 pm

I`ve just replaced the front tyre from the EVO S20. I got just over 10 000k. This was down to the wear marks on the sides.
At the beginning they were good, mid life, still ok, but near the end, they turned into a V shape.  Plenty of centre tread, but no sides.
Never had a tyre wear like this before.
It was a bit un-nerving, as you couldn`t roll through corners, as it would fall into corners due to the wear. That's not such a bad thing if your pushing hard, and doing quick transitions, as it turned into a big purchase of rubber because of the wear characteristics it had.

I`ve gone to the updated version, the S21...bloodyhell it`s sticky.  I`ve done a fair bit of reading on this tyre, and it`s been given allot of good reviews.
I`ve just discovered a bloke in Brisbane, that does REALLY good deals on tyres... I don`t believe it`s taken me so long to hear about this bloke.
Nick name, "Mad Mick" of Goodna.  Business name "Motor Trade Machinist"

Cash only sale. I priced this tyre from the usual bike shops, and at the average price of me giving the rim only...not the whole bike, was about $225. This lad does, and did it for $165 for the front. Both front and rear would have been $400.

Until I buy, and start changing my own, he`s got my business...or until someone else beats his price.
 Anyway, happy with the S21.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 9:07 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:I`ve just replaced the front tyre from the EVO S20. I got just over 10 000k. This was down to the wear marks on the sides.
At the beginning they were good, mid life, still ok, but near the end, they turned into a V shape.  Plenty of centre tread, but no sides.
Never had a tyre wear like this before.
It was a bit un-nerving, as you couldn`t roll through corners, as it would fall into corners due to the wear. That's not such a bad thing if your pushing hard, and doing quick transitions, as it turned into a big purchase of rubber because of the wear characteristics it had.

I`ve gone to the updated version, the S21...bloodyhell it`s sticky.  I`ve done a fair bit of reading on this tyre, and it`s been given allot of good reviews.
I`ve just discovered a bloke in Brisbane, that does REALLY good deals on tyres... I don`t believe it`s taken me so long to hear about this bloke.
Nick name, "Mad Mick" of Goodna.  Business name "Motor Trade Machinist"

Cash only sale. I priced this tyre from the usual bike shops, and at the average price of me giving the rim only...not the whole bike, was about $225. This lad does, and did it for $165 for the front. Both front and rear would have been $400.

Until I buy, and start changing my own, he`s got my business...or until someone else beats his price.
 Anyway, happy with the S21.
Ive just fitted S21s to my CBR as winter tyres. Hope to scrub them in tomorrow. See how they cope with cold roads and 180hp. 

Ive been chatting with our local Ohlins guru about why bandits eat the sides of the fronts so badly. He seems to think the mid valve is too weak and the rebound is to fast. Im running 5w fluid which will make both of these worse, doing that due to running gold valves. So with his help Im going to revlave both and give it a shot. Will give feedback on this.
NZspokes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Sun 23 Jul 2017, 1:31 pm

I am changing the first set I have tried of bridgestone bt 023 & getting another set of the same . I got a bees dick short of 17,000km & almost to the wear markers . They had squared off due to all the commuting I do so probably could have been changed a little sooner , but they didn't suffer excessive scalloping on the front as much as some other tyres I have tried .Their profile suited the Bandit to a tee , with no handling woes wet or dry except for at the very end of their life , due to the squaring off . The bt 023s are still available , but only as a pair  as they have been superseded  by the T30s  . I paid $ 436 for the pair fitted which included the $6 disposal fee for the old tyres , (normally they are on special for $450 + the $6  ) so if like me you use your bike for commuting with some " blow away the cobwebs " riding in the twisties & the occasional trip , & you want exceptional value for a well suited to the Bandit tyre , give them a go .

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 7:50 pm

I put some pirelli rosso corsa's on my other bandit today. 
At $420 a pair, how could i knock it back,  especially when I've seen them advertised for almost $600.
I'll give them a work out tomorrow.

Last edited by mtbeerwah on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 9:10 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:I put some pirelli supercorsa's on my other bandit today. 
At $420 a pair, how could i knock it back,  especially when I've seen them advertised for almost $600.
I'll give them a work out tomorrow.
The SP's are supposed to be very similar to the race ones .................there should be no road holding problems . Great price , it will be interesting to see how long they last .

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 29 Jul 2017, 7:07 pm

First ride today with the rosso corsa's..........
Yep....their sticky.  How long will the last, who knows,  but I'm going to enjoy what they give.

Last edited by mtbeerwah on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Sat 29 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm

A few years ago, on a group ride with JC, Tag and a few others, we left Bright on a very cold morning and headed up to Mt Hotham. It was raining and got colder with every km we climbed. Foggy as hell, slow and twisty climb into the Alpine region of Victoria. I was crawling along.

On the rear I had a Pirelli Angel GT. Could not get any grip, felt slippery as. I never put it down to anything unusual until recently.

We've had a run of very cold mornings here in the Bega Valley in July (more consecutive sub-zeros than Canberra). I had the Bandit out one fine frosty morning with an Angel on the back (done a few 1000 kms, so not new). What am I experiencing? Exactly the same lack of grip as I had on that Alpine trip a few years ago. But on this occasion, I'm on more open sweeping roads and it warms up and the grip gets up to what you'd expect. Happy days!

My conclusion. There was nothing wrong with the Angel on that Alpine trip. It just could not get up to working temperature on all those 35 - 45 kmph corners on the Alpine climb, where the temperature never got above 3c. I'm no Casey Stoner, so I wasn't able to go any harder on that very tight and cold climb in zero visibility.

The Angels are slow to warm up, more so than Michelins or others. A good tyre, but if your first ride in the morning is in extremely cold conditions with no prospect of getting any warmth into the tyres, be careful if you have Angels on.

Anyone else had this same experience with any tyres?
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 7:37 am

Totally.  My theory is that the rubber compounds they use for performance tyres seems to undergo some kind of state change at low temps (as you approach freezing) and become quite nasty.  I posit that one of the trade-offs that the manufacturers make is on the operating temperature range on the compound…more performance, closer the tyre must be kept to its optimal temperature i.e. narrower operating temp range.  I think that I have also noticed that the tyres of some manufacturers tend to require more warming than others…from best to worse (IMO and experience) Michelin, Pirelli and Dunlop.  Haven’t used any Metzelers or Conti’s for years but I would expect them to be very good…Michelin or better.

Recently did a track day at Wakefield…on the way up was seeing temps of -5 and -6 on the dash (of the car) and did a lot of running through fog…on arrival there was 1 cm of ice on the brake and clutch levers plus any other exposed metal part…it was freakin’ freezin’.  Anyway, I usually run Supercorsa SPs but put a pair of Pilot Powers on for this day…just because I was expecting low temps…glad I did.  It was a bit tip-toe for the first couple of sessions but they tyres worked OK after that.

On my Bandit, I run PR4s…just for those -5 Canberra morning runs to work as I find the Roads work at low temps.  For anyone living where really low temps are experienced, I would strongly recommend sticking to touring rubber.  Bit surprised that the Angel GTs (as a touring tyre) seem to have this issue…but maybe they are designed for southern Europe.
Dekenai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 3:55 pm

Dekenai wrote:
On my Bandit, I run PR4s…just for those -5 Canberra morning runs to work as I find the Roads work at low temps.  For anyone living where really low temps are experienced, I would strongly recommend sticking to touring rubber.  Bit surprised that the Angel GTs (as a touring tyre) seem to have this issue…but maybe they are designed for southern Europe.

Perhaps that's why I though they really "went off"
plenty of 30+ days here with more than enough 40+ days in the hot parts of summer, if your theory is correct those temperatures could be killing the tyres
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 6:33 pm

This is where reading your tyres is really important. Look up Dave Moss vids on you tube for a base of it. 

But in cold conditions, consider dropping your tyre pressure.
NZspokes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 8:22 pm

Just an update on my recent tyre choices, for my two  bandits, that being,  rosso corsa's on one bike,  and battlax s21's on the other. 
Put just over 1000k's on both bikes, and i much prefer the s21's.
I like the turn in better, and they just feel stickier than the rosso's. They're easier to change a line mid corner as well, if your caught mid corner by shit on the road,  or poor surface conditions.
The rosso's are alright, but I like the 21's more.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 9:03 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:Just an update on my recent tyre choices, for my two  bandits, that being,  rosso corsa's on one bike,  and battlax s21's on the other. 
I like the turn in better, and they just feel stickier than the rosso's. They're easier to change a line mid corner as well, if your caught mid corner by shit on the road,  or poor surface conditions.
You forgot "landcruiser driver on the wrong side of the road" in your list of hazards  :-D

'96 1200s Bandit
2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 10:14 pm

You forgot "landcruiser driver on the wrong side of the road" in your list of hazards  :-D

Ha ha....i think that's a prerequisite.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daffy on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 8:01 am

I recently had Metzeler Roadtec 01s fitted - $385 fitted at Tuggeranong Motorcycles in Canberra. After running Angel GTs, I has switched to Continental SportAttack 3s. Great grip, but didn’t last long. 

These Metzelers are effing brilliant!  Turned in better than sports tyres and the grip is fabulous. I read many reviews when deciding which tyres to buy, but this one did it for me. And from what I can tell, it’s a pretty accurate review (from a pro).

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/metzler-roadtec-01-6000-mile-review/
Daffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 8:57 am

mtbeerwah wrote:Just an update on my recent tyre choices, for my two  bandits, that being,  rosso corsa's on one bike,  and battlax s21's on the other. 
Not sure if the 21s are the same profile as the 023s , but they also suit the bandits handling .

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 9:06 am

I hated the Rosso Corsa's on my MV and switched to Dunlop Sportsmart. I've never had a tyre offer as little feedback as the Rosso's Mad

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
2wheelsagain
Admin

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:18 pm

I don't know Paul,  I haven't used the 23's, but have used copious amounts of other battlax tyres over the years. I'm very happy with the 21's.

Yeah 2wheels, I won't buy the rosso's again. I haven't tried the Dunlop's yet,  but they will replace the rosso's when time comes. 

I've only tried one Metzeler Daffy, the 5's, but wasn't happy with them.  Obviously they're water under the bridge, and Metzeler, along with all the tyre makers have come along way with tyre technology.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm

021s are very old. You might want to check the tyre manufacture date on the side wall. I did like 021s and the 023s are pretty good, but the t30s have been out for a while now and possibly offer a better all round tyre.
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 4:34 am

reddog wrote:021s are very old. You might want to check the tyre manufacture date on the side wall. I did like 021s and the 023s are pretty good, but the t30s have been out for a while now and possibly offer a better all round tyre.

Hey reddog,  the BT 021s, and Hypersport s21 are different tyres. 
The s21 is one of their new kid's on the block for sports tyres by bridgstone.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 10:23 am

Thanks for the clarification. I was a bit concerned they were old stock.
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:13 am

reddog wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I was a bit concerned they were old stock.
All good mate.  
One can get lost with all the choices out there, and once something comes out  it's almost obsolete the very next day.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 05 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

I'm having mixed emotions on the Rosso Corsa's.
When i first put them on,  they felt good,  but it may have been a false first opinion, due to coming off old tyres, way past their prime,  so anything would have felt good. 
I then put 1000k's on them,  about two weeks ago,  and after riding on the S21's, on the other bike,  the Rosso's  felt shit. But looking back at the riding I did in that 1000k's, I didn't really try and push them to my/their limit. 
Fast track to today,  and I've just finished a 400k ride on them, through some very twisty roads. Once I got them really hot, and up to temp,  I started to enjoy them, with a lot of confidence.
So,  what I'm feeling with these tyres is,  if their not hot, they feel shit. If their hot,  their feel great.
They don't make for an every day rider,  as you'd have trouble getting enough heat in them, to live with them. 

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Thu 05 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm

Sounds like a good track day tyre. Then swap back to a touring set
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 05 Oct 2017, 9:33 pm

reddog wrote:Sounds like a good track day tyre. Then swap back to a touring set

Yeah, and I guess in reality, that's what they were designed for.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum