Tyres: Feedback

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Tyres: Feedback

Post  Sloth_27 on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 11:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone with feedback about the different tyres they've run on their bikes post some info here. I dragged 6000km out of the originals but should've chucked them at 5000km. They seem to go good then all of the sudden start falling apart...

I put on a set of Michelin pilot road 2's (front and back) and they seem pretty good. Unfortunately I already got a puncture after only about 1000km and had to get it repaired. It was a big hole (part of a hacksaw blade went through the rear) and the repair job is good but it losses a few PSI each week.
Sloth_27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Jimcoleman on Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:37 pm

Thats cause you are fanging it more ewok, tag is bad bad influence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Tue 31 Mar 2015, 8:06 am

@Jimcoleman wrote:Thats cause you are fanging it more ewok, tag is bad bad influence
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 3:11 pm

I just got my second set of Angel GTs fitted. close to 15000kms on them, so am pretty happy (unless I should expect more?)
Got them at a pretty good price as well, $390NZ the pair, they were fitted when the bike was in for a major service so they fitted them for free, nice!

The rear was still in pretty good nick, beginning to square but still some tread and I only had about 4mm of chicken strip (for me thats awesome!) but I felt happier changing the pair. The front was as dead as a dead thing. Definitely more worn on the right side which with the whole "turning right goes through a longer radius" thing makes sense to me. What I am confused about is that is the second time the front has gone WELL before the rear. The OEM tyres did the same thing.
My suspension sag has been properly set up for me. So I wondered if anyone can explain the front going so much faster? Am I doing something wrong?

Ulsterkiwi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 4:10 pm

Fronts wear faster if you're cornering a lot. It's the long lazy miles that save fronts. If you're happy changing as a pair don't stress. Enjoy the new tyre grip from the matching pair.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
2wheelsagain
Admin

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 5:55 pm

cheers for that, yep, I always choose the twisty roads Cool

Ulsterkiwi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 8:25 pm

@Ulsterkiwi wrote:I just got my second set of Angel GTs fitted. close to 15000kms on them, so am pretty happy (unless I should expect more?)
Got them at a pretty good price as well, $390NZ the pair, they were fitted when the bike was in for a major service so they fitted them for free, nice!

The rear was still in pretty good nick, beginning to square but still some tread and I only had about 4mm of chicken strip (for me thats awesome!) but I felt happier changing the pair. The front was as dead as a dead thing. Definitely more worn on the right side which with the whole "turning right goes through a longer radius" thing makes sense to me. What I am confused about is that is the second time the front has gone WELL before the rear. The OEM tyres did the same thing.
My suspension sag has been properly set up for me. So I wondered if anyone can explain the front going so much faster? Am I doing something wrong?

You are obviously spending too much time riding around with both wheels on the road. Razz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chettlingham on Mon 20 Jul 2015, 8:52 pm

@Bosco15 wrote:
@Ulsterkiwi wrote:I just got my second set of Angel GTs fitted. close to 15000kms on them, so am pretty happy (unless I should expect more?)

You are obviously spending too much time riding around with both wheels on the road. Razz

Laughing Laughing  Love it!

Power Commander V
Secondary Butterflies modified with Woolich software
Custom dyno tune
Chettlingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodroket on Tue 21 Jul 2015, 6:04 am

Wow $390 the pair, great price, any info on where you got them? Am about ready to change my Angel GT's to, about 14000km so far with a little bit left. Looking at PR4's this time as I can get them cheaper than the Angels.

Rodroket

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi on Tue 21 Jul 2015, 7:51 am

@Rodroket wrote:Wow $390 the pair, great price, any info on where you got them? Am about ready to change my Angel GT's to, about 14000km so far with a little bit left. Looking at PR4's this time as I can get them cheaper than the Angels.
hi there, sure. I got them in Motomart, Rutherford St, Lower Hutt. Gareth is the service manager.

Sorry didnt think to post them as its probably a bit far for most of the forum members :-)

Done about 250 kms with the new ones so just run in now. Very very happy again. Turn in is back to what I expect from these.

Was gassing up this morning and came out of the servo shop to a couple of fellas admiring the bike at the pump. One told me about an experience on a track day where a 1250 put a few others to shame. I guess its all about torque and getting away from those corners eh? Laughing

Ulsterkiwi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon on Wed 22 Jul 2015, 11:50 pm

Well, I'm about ready to do a wholesale tire swap on the FA, despite having an almost-new rear PR4 on the bike now.  Here's the deal...

The front is a T3 that was on the bike when I bought it a year ago.  This spring, I swapped out the rear tire for a new Michelin PR4 and I now have about 2000 miles (~3200 km) on it, more or less.  I love the cornering ability of the pair, and the PR4 has been great so far, and is showing very little wear.

However...

I'm about to embark on a lot of touring during the month of August. The first two weeks of the month will be a 4000-5000 mile (6400-8000 km) trip, to attend my 50th high school class reunion and see my son and grandson, halfway across the continent.  The second trip, a week after getting back from the first, will be to my club rally and then a jog to the west coast (Seattle) to see my other grandchildren.  This trip will probably a total of 2000-2500 miles (~3200 km).

I also happen to have a brand-new matched pair of Dunlop Roadsmarts in the garage.  So I'm hoping those will last the two trips without changing tires between.  A lot of the riding on the first trip will be on flat straight roads, although I will do some twisty bits in Colorado. The second trip will be more curvy.  I'm hoping I'll be able to get ~12,000 km out of the Roadsmart rear.  If it looks marginal after the first trip, I'll change it out during the break between and put the PR4 back on.

My reasoning is that with over 3000 km on the PR4, it probably won't last the full two trips, and I'll have to change it anyway after the first trip.  And by changing both now, I'll have the advantage of having a new matched pair on before leaving on the first trip.

What do you guys think?
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 12:32 am

Not sure how much wear is left on your front t3 , but you could probably get away with your PR4 rear  & put your new dunlops on after both trips

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 1:30 am

Sorry, I didn't mention it in my original post - the front T3 is almost to the wear bars, so that has to be replaced regardless.  Not too impressed by the T3, it's only got about 7000 miles on it and maybe has about 1000 miles left.  Maybe.  So, the life of that one appears to be about 12000 km or thereabouts. 

Most of my local riding though is curvy mountain roads, so that's probably all I can expect from a front tire.

I guess the other option is just to change the front to the new Roadsmart, and leave the PR4 on during the first trip, and then make the decision as to whether to change out the rear until the week between trips.  That would probably make more sense - I would avoid that extra tire change.

Not sure how much advantage there is to having matched tires anyway.  Opinions on that?
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 8:19 am

Myself and Jim Coleman love Roadsmarts. Mine are on the VFR1200 his on his GSX1250FA. Similar weights but different bikes. 
I highly doubt the Roadsmarts would do both trips but they will be an awesome tyre  (tire) until the wear bars unlike the PR's that become pigs at 3/4 worn and your long straight trip will definitely cause that. The Dunlop's hold their shape much better but won't do the distances of PR's.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bikes ~
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 8:35 am

Well, it sounds like I'm on the right track then with leaving the rear PR4 on for the first trip.  If the Roadsmart front is like most front tires, it'll go almost 2 to 1 with the rears on flat touring.  Since the second trip will be mostly curvy roads, I'll have a new rear RS and a partially used front RS for that trip. 

So I guess that's what I'll do then!

Thanks for the info, boys.  The RS's are new to me, so I'll have to see how they go.
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 10:16 am

Well the bad news is Dunlop seem to have made the fronts wear at the same rate as the rear. That's been my experience anyway. 
But the good news is you have new turn in every time you fit new tyres. Yes it's a bit more expensive but the pay off is huge handling wise. 

That's probably why most stick with PR's but never really get the full benefits.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bikes ~
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon on Thu 23 Jul 2015, 10:29 am

Ahhh.  Thanks for the info.  Luckily I can get a new front in about 2 days if (when I need it. Now I'm torn - maybe I should just order a new PR4 front to put on for the trip.  Hmmmm....
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 4:26 am

OK, so the matter is resolved.  I've ordered a new front PR4. I'll use that and the almost-new PR4 until they wear out, then replace them with the fresh Roadsmarts.

Luckily,  we can get free shipping,  reasonable prices, and two-day delivery on tires here, so I'll have an entire week to get it on and run it before the first trip.

Thanks for  your comments, boys!
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Fri 24 Jul 2015, 6:58 am

@SVDon wrote:OK, so the matter is resolved.  I've ordered a new front PR4. I'll use that and the almost-new PR4 until they wear out, then replace them with the fresh Roadsmarts.

Thanks for  your comments, boys!
That sounds like a good plan.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bikes ~
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghostbandit on Sun 02 Aug 2015, 7:56 pm

I'm currently running the Dunlop sportmax 2 after the original Dunlop wore really quickly and then got staked. The sportmax 2 has been performing faultlessly and is doesn't seem to be wearing at all. This is the dual compound tyre. so far very impressed
Ghostbandit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 12:35 am

Well, I levered on the front PR4 and took it for a test ride.  Like all new tires, it seems smoother.  It did seem a bit more ponderous than the T30 it replaced at first, but after warming a bit was ok.

Leaving tomorrow on a 4000+ mile trip,  so we'll see how it goes.
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 1:12 pm

I `ve done about 500km on the "Battlax Hypersport S20r" tyres.

I bought these as a sticky tyre, and they`re delivering.
I took my time to feel these out after the drop I had, from the blocks of wood that were on, and because I didn`t set my suspension correctly. It  took me a bit to find my confidents again after the drop.

The profile is different from a touring tyre, and has a higher centre peak, so when you lean into a corner, they make the bike drop quickly, rather than a roll,as a touring tyre.  But when they`re on the side, they stick like poo to a blanket, and give very very confident feel.

As for how long they last, I don`t know, but I bought them as a FUN tyre, not for longevity, so wont be going touring on them anyway, apart from getting to twisties.

I`ve put them on one bike only, as its set up to have fun on only.
I like them a lot.
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 12:22 pm

Just an update on the Battlax Hypersport S20 tyres.

3000k`s on. Wearing well at this point, and they are the best tyre I`ve used to date.
They are super sticky, as intended, and are used for. I don`t sit on the hi-way with these, so won`t be wearing a flat spot, only through braking will tell how they deform. But so far so good.

I love them!!!
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag on Thu 10 Dec 2015, 5:08 pm

And that is a tyre wear pattern that can't get any better
#Tag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

valve stem size.

Post  F on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 12:28 pm

Does anyone kmnow the valve stem size on an FA.  (8.3mm or 11mm)?
Thanks
F

F

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 12:27 am

" />
" />

Just an update on the Battlax S20 EVO tyres.
Still over the moon with these tyres. Considering from what I`ve read, that I was only going to get 7000km`s out of them, as a "Performance Tyre", I have now met that mark. The front is just starting to scallop from heavy braking, but at present, hasn`t upset the turn in geometry when leaning into a corner.  The rear is still wearing very evenly, with just a touch of centre wear, but only slightly.
I feel that the front will have to be changed at about 10000km`s, and the rear close to 13000km`s.
I highly recommend these tyres as a super sticky performance tyre, with good wear characteristics.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum