Tyres: Feedback

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Tyres: Feedback

Post  Sloth_27 on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 11:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone with feedback about the different tyres they've run on their bikes post some info here. I dragged 6000km out of the originals but should've chucked them at 5000km. They seem to go good then all of the sudden start falling apart...

I put on a set of Michelin pilot road 2's (front and back) and they seem pretty good. Unfortunately I already got a puncture after only about 1000km and had to get it repaired. It was a big hole (part of a hacksaw blade went through the rear) and the repair job is good but it losses a few PSI each week.
avatar
Sloth_27

Posts : 227
Join date : 2009-08-20
Age : 29
Location : NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down


Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Jimcoleman on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 6:56 pm

i have about 4500 ks on my current angels and i'm very impressed i reckon i should get some where around 7500 to 8500ks. I ride with Tag and we live in awe at Master Ewoks ability to 10K or greater on his tyres

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1179
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 50
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Stromcat on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:31 am

Just replaced the oem BT21's with Michelin PR4's,front and back at 3000 miles.The Bridgestones had plenty of life left in them,but they felt awfull,I think because the front was wearing oddly (scalloping?) on the right hand side.The Michelins feel fantastic,only done 200 miles on them so far in the dry.Going to Scotland tomorow for a couple of nights,so no doubt the wet weather grip will get a good testing.
avatar
Stromcat

Posts : 36
Join date : 2014-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Foster on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 7:08 am

I got a few mates that run the pirelli anget gt and most of them use to run the michelin pr2s and say that the pirelli angel gt is a far better tyre. Me personally I run the bridgestone bt023's which I have been more than happy with and have always got good mileage out of them and found them to be great in wet and dry, I believe you can still get them but will be obsolete soon having been replaced by the bt030.

Foster

Posts : 16
Join date : 2014-10-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New Tyres

Post  Wellsy on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

Just replaced my Pilot 2 tyres after 3 years - only 10,000 klm due to puncture (Bandit 1200)
I decided to try the Metzeler Z8 and they are fantastic - the front end is much easier to flick around tight corners instead of wrestling
Going around roundabouts the bikes doesn't want to run wide anymore
The ride seems smoother also
haven't been in the wet yet
avatar
Wellsy

Posts : 12
Join date : 2011-10-12
Age : 63
Location : Peakhurst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Chook on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 2:03 pm

My rear PR3 has done just over 13500km and needs doing, I was going to put another one on as my front PR3 looks less than 1/2 gone after 9000km and thought I'd keep them the same and try a set of PR4s (rear a GT) next.

I've been told the only way Michelin are doing PR3's now is in pairs, I'm not going to chuck out a good tyre so I I'll go straight to the PR4 on the back, best price I've got fitted in Adelaide is $299, does that sound around the mark?
avatar
Chook

Posts : 3326
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 54
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

tyres

Post  Wellsy on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 8:10 am

My 2 Metzelers cost $550 fitted
The Pirelli and Michelin were all  around the same price - $300 for rear and $250 for front
avatar
Wellsy

Posts : 12
Join date : 2011-10-12
Age : 63
Location : Peakhurst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Chook on Thu 11 Dec 2014, 12:19 pm

I just had the new PR4 fitted, the price I was originally quoted was for the standard tyre as they had no GT's in stock then, 1st quote on the GT was $306, I ended up getting a GT fitted + a right angle valve, $300

so far my tyre life on the Bandit has been

Original Dunlop Rear 5,500 (should have been changed before 5,000)
Original Dunlop Front 9,000
Michelin PR3 Rear 13,900
Michelin PR3 front has about 10,000 on it and looks about 1/2 worn
avatar
Chook

Posts : 3326
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 54
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Jimcoleman on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 10:34 am

@2wheelsagain wrote:PR2 and you wont run out of grip on the Bandit
Until they get to about 75% worn out then chuckem

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1179
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 50
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  paul on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 12:54 pm

After the last 5 or 6 sets of replacement tyres being PR2s ( long life ....around 16,000 km, although the front tyre always wears strangely.......maybe the dual compound ?), I decided it was time for a change & check out the opposition. The Pirelli Angels, my first choice, had conflicting reports on their wet weather grip & longevity , & a couple of reports showed small cracks accross the rear tyre after a high speed , well loaded for touring trip .
The Metzeller z8 sounded ok , but some stores said their were issues with them supplying a single set to a store if it wasn't one of their regular stock range .
Bridgestone 023 were similar a  tyre but have been superseded with a tyre which doesn't last as long , so repeat supply was in question .
PR4 's as per PR3 have a good reputation if not a little dear at times , but I still wanted a change , & didn't fancy continental or some of the other similar brands . 
Avon............been a long time since I had them , but maybe .
Then I came across the Dunlop Roadsmart 2 ....................... (the dunlops that came with the bike were kinda off-putting to say the least )  From all  reports the new generation of RS2 s  were grippy in the wet or dry , good wearing , single compound on the front ( no strange lumpy lines around the tyre where the 2 compounds meet & the scalloping starts ) and dual compound on the rear for longer commuting wear .My local bike shop had the best price ( $450 fitted ........I took the wheels off & on ),so yesterday the deed was done . I only took it for a shortish 60 km ride through the hills for a coffee to check them out , & even allowing for that new tyre feel , I like the way they feel on the road & behave .
As I commute every day to work & do the odd trip and weekend blast , I'm sure their longevity and how they handle every day situations will become blatantly clear ,but so far , I'm a fan  Very Happy

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7295
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  2wheelsagain on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 2:20 pm

@paul wrote:After the last 5 or 6 sets of replacement tyres being PR2s ( long life ....around 16,000 km, although the front tyre always wears strangely.......maybe the dual compound ?), I decided it was time for a change & check out the opposition. The Pirelli Angels, my first choice, had conflicting reports on their wet weather grip & longevity , & a couple of reports showed small cracks accross the rear tyre after a high speed , well loaded for touring trip .
The Metzeller z8 sounded ok , but some stores said their were issues with them supplying a single set to a store if it wasn't one of their regular stock range .
Bridgestone 023 were similar a  tyre but have been superseded with a tyre which doesn't last as long , so repeat supply was in question .
PR4 's as per PR3 have a good reputation if not a little dear at times , but I still wanted a change , & didn't fancy continental or some of the other similar brands . 
Avon............been a long time since I had them , but maybe .
Then I came across the Dunlop Roadsmart 2 ....................... (the dunlops that came with the bike were kinda off-putting to say the least )  From all  reports the new generation of RS2 s  were grippy in the wet or dry , good wearing , single compound on the front ( no strange lumpy lines around the tyre where the 2 compounds meet & the scalloping starts ) and dual compound on the rear for longer commuting wear .My local bike shop had the best price ( $450 fitted ........I took the wheels off & on ),so yesterday the deed was done . I only took it for a shortish 60 km ride through the hills for a coffee to check them out , & even allowing for that new tyre feel , I like the way they feel on the road & behave .
As I commute every day to work & do the odd trip and weekend blast , I'm sure their longevity and how they handle every day situations will become blatantly clear ,but so far , I'm a fan  Very Happy
Paul the RoadSmarts on my VFR1200F are astonishingly awesome. At 7000km there is no flattening in the centre of the rear and the front looks new. I have gone right to the edge on these too. They're taming 170hp and 270kg plus me and gear/luggage. I've ridden across My Hotham in snow and sleet and ask Ewok and Jim Coleman what that ride was like Smile
Jim had them on his Bandit a while back and raved about them. I'll be getting them again (190/120 in my case).

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6312
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 54
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  paul on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 3:28 pm

@2wheelsagain wrote:
@paul wrote:After the last 5 or 6 sets of replacement tyres being PR2s ( long life ....around 16,000 km, although the front tyre always wears strangely.......maybe the dual compound ?), I decided it was time for a change & check out the opposition. The Pirelli Angels, my first choice, had conflicting reports on their wet weather grip & longevity , & a couple of reports showed small cracks accross the rear tyre after a high speed , well loaded for touring trip .
The Metzeller z8 sounded ok , but some stores said their were issues with them supplying a single set to a store if it wasn't one of their regular stock range .
Bridgestone 023 were similar a  tyre but have been superseded with a tyre which doesn't last as long , so repeat supply was in question .
PR4 's as per PR3 have a good reputation if not a little dear at times , but I still wanted a change , & didn't fancy continental or some of the other similar brands . 
Avon............been a long time since I had them , but maybe .
Then I came across the Dunlop Roadsmart 2 ....................... (the dunlops that came with the bike were kinda off-putting to say the least )  From all  reports the new generation of RS2 s  were grippy in the wet or dry , good wearing , single compound on the front ( no strange lumpy lines around the tyre where the 2 compounds meet & the scalloping starts ) and dual compound on the rear for longer commuting wear .My local bike shop had the best price ( $450 fitted ........I took the wheels off & on ),so yesterday the deed was done . I only took it for a shortish 60 km ride through the hills for a coffee to check them out , & even allowing for that new tyre feel , I like the way they feel on the road & behave .
As I commute every day to work & do the odd trip and weekend blast , I'm sure their longevity and how they handle every day situations will become blatantly clear ,but so far , I'm a fan  Very Happy
Paul the RoadSmarts on my VFR1200F are astonishingly awesome. At 7000km there is no flattening in the centre of the rear and the front looks new. I have gone right to the edge on these too. They're taming 170hp and 270kg plus me and gear/luggage. I've ridden across My Hotham in snow and sleet and ask Ewok and Jim Coleman what that ride was like Smile
Jim had them on his Bandit a while back and raved about them. I'll be getting them again (190/120 in my case).


Looks like a good choice then  cheers

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7295
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Jimcoleman on Sun 01 Feb 2015, 9:34 pm

i tried two sets of RS2's and loved them, but i have no allegiance to any brand so i have just tried two sets of Pirelli Angel GTs loved them too, whilst others have had mixed results i never had a problem and in the wet the pirellies are brilliant, today i road Bruthen to Genoa in the wet and after spending the weekend on the Alpine way, Granya Gap, Omeo Hwy they are pretty sacked out about 500 to a thousand left. Anyway i needed a new set of tyres for the Parkes ride due to price comparison i bought another set of RS2's and i know i wont be disappointed and neither will you

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1179
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 50
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  car_ham on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 6:39 pm

I put a set of Road Pilot 4's on the GSX on Saturday, then rode back to Moura about 200km via the Mt Morgan range ( did 8 trips up and down I was having so much fun). Then tried some 100kph full abs stops on the way to work this morning, followed by the same but in the wet going home this arvo. Wow am super impressed. Got just short of 10,000km out of the original boots, hope the RP4's give me similar.

_________________
BikesGSX1250FA - 2012, black with Beowulf oval carbon fibre exhaust, Renthal Ultra Low Black Bars, Geelong Carbon Craft Carbon Fibre tank guard, Speedo Healer,TRE, Brake Light Pro, Butterflies removed, Ventura rack
DRZ400 - 2008 - Safari Tank, bash plate, Pro Taper bars,
avatar
car_ham

Posts : 61
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 48
Location : Mackay Queensland, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  paul on Mon 02 Feb 2015, 7:31 pm

@car_ham wrote:I put a set of Road Pilot 4's on the GSX on Saturday, then rode back to Moura about 200km via the Mt Morgan range ( did 8 trips up and down I was having so much fun). Then tried some 100kph full abs stops on the way to work this morning, followed by the same but in the wet going home this arvo. Wow am super impressed. Got just short of 10,000km out of the original boots, hope the RP4's give me similar.
I would think you should get considerably more than 10,000km out of them . Very Happy

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7295
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Jimcoleman on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 8:00 am

@paul wrote:
@car_ham wrote:I put a set of Road Pilot 4's on the GSX on Saturday, then rode back to Moura about 200km via the Mt Morgan range ( did 8 trips up and down I was having so much fun). Then tried some 100kph full abs stops on the way to work this morning, followed by the same but in the wet going home this arvo. Wow am super impressed. Got just short of 10,000km out of the original boots, hope the RP4's give me similar.
I would think you should get considerably more than 10,000km out of them . Very Happy
Paul when you have roads like this on your back door 4000 to 5000 maxes em out


_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1179
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 50
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  paul on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 8:43 am

@Jimcoleman wrote:
@paul wrote:
@car_ham wrote:I put a set of Road Pilot 4's on the GSX on Saturday, then rode back to Moura about 200km via the Mt Morgan range ( did 8 trips up and down I was having so much fun). Then tried some 100kph full abs stops on the way to work this morning, followed by the same but in the wet going home this arvo. Wow am super impressed. Got just short of 10,000km out of the original boots, hope the RP4's give me similar.
I would think you should get considerably more than 10,000km out of them . Very Happy
Paul when you have roads like this on your back door 4000 to 5000 maxes em out

Great road Jim , and fantastic action shots.........not unlike some in our Adelaide hills ( except with a better surface  Rolling Eyes  ) but if car_ham got 10,000 from his OEM tyres , the PR4's will last him a lot longer than that. Very Happy

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7295
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  MattyC on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:27 pm

The last few sets I where running was the Pilot Power Then the 2ct. Found they gripped very well. The 2ct lasted well at around 5k back and 7k front.
Im a big fan of the powers but maybe something else now.
 I was surfing and came across the Shinko verge. For the price I thought they must be crap...but bought a set. Exclamation
 Wow... I mean WOW. That turn in on the front is great!!  Grip seams the same as the Power's.
But early days yet. If I get the same mileage? Im a happy camper Very Happy


_________________
I'm fast when alone tongue
avatar
MattyC

Posts : 50
Join date : 2015-03-08
Location : Bathurst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Jimcoleman on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

are they the 011's or the 016's

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1179
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 50
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  MattyC on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 5:46 pm

011 Mate Very Happy

_________________
I'm fast when alone tongue
avatar
MattyC

Posts : 50
Join date : 2015-03-08
Location : Bathurst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Jimcoleman on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 6:25 pm

Bugger i really want try the 016s

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1179
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 50
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  MattyC on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm

That's the one with snips and duel compound.
 Every tyre has gone snip happy atm.
If you get them please let us know how the go
Very Happy

_________________
I'm fast when alone tongue
avatar
MattyC

Posts : 50
Join date : 2015-03-08
Location : Bathurst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  2wheelsagain on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:29 pm

My rear Roadsmarts are finished.  I'm interested as well although I'm tempted to put the Roadsmarts on again.  I'm very impressed.

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6312
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 54
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Ghostbandit on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 12:27 pm

I'm running the sportsmart 2 on the rear now, it's dual compound and so far it's holding up really well compared the the original roadsmart that was on her. Grip is fantastic in the dry, can't comment on wet weather performance though
avatar
Ghostbandit

Posts : 107
Join date : 2014-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Badger on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 4:26 pm

Hi Guys

For anyone interested Teammoto has some good prices on tyres.


Badger
avatar
Badger

Posts : 77
Join date : 2010-02-12
Location : Wollongong

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Ewok1958 on Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:36 pm

Pirelli Angels. Shot at 8,000 kms. Half what I get out of PR2/3s.
avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3848
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 60
Location : Bega, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum