Tyres: Feedback

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Tyres: Feedback

Post  Sloth_27 on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 11:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone with feedback about the different tyres they've run on their bikes post some info here. I dragged 6000km out of the originals but should've chucked them at 5000km. They seem to go good then all of the sudden start falling apart...

I put on a set of Michelin pilot road 2's (front and back) and they seem pretty good. Unfortunately I already got a puncture after only about 1000km and had to get it repaired. It was a big hole (part of a hacksaw blade went through the rear) and the repair job is good but it losses a few PSI each week.
Sloth_27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyres: Feedback

Post  NZspokes on Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

Didnt read through the whole thread but what pressure should I be running on My Bandit with Avon Storms on?
NZspokes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

@NZspokes wrote:Didnt read through the whole thread but what pressure should I be running on My Bandit with Avon Storms on?

I always run what Suzuki recommend ( should be on your swing arm or in your hand manual)
My 2004 bandit was 36front & 36 Rear , but this one 2010 is 36Front & 42 Rear so it will pay to check Very Happy

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes on Sat 09 Jun 2012, 6:41 pm

@paul wrote:
@NZspokes wrote:Didnt read through the whole thread but what pressure should I be running on My Bandit with Avon Storms on?

I always run what Suzuki recommend ( should be on your swing arm or in your hand manual)
My 2004 bandit was 36front & 36 Rear , but this one 2010 is 36Front & 42 Rear so it will pay to check Very Happy

Cheers, my manual says 36 which I have it on front and rear.
NZspokes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman on Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

ok ive decided that Michelin PR's are the way to go just got about 13k out of the front PR3 trying a PR2 this time (tight Budget) the cuppa soup on the back is ok but nowhere as good as the PR2 on the back after all i got 10k on it ( i live on lots of windy roads) and it will be interesting to see what the Cuppa actually gets keep ya posted

cuppa soup = Continental Road Attack 2
Jimcoleman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:19 am

@NZspokes wrote:
@paul wrote:

Unless you're a fly weight that's going to be too soft with modern tyres.
You'll find they're much more flickable with about 38 F and 40 R

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
2wheelsagain
Admin

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

@2wheelsagain wrote:
@NZspokes wrote:
@paul wrote:

Unless you're a fly weight that's going to be too soft with modern tyres.
You'll find they're much more flickable with about 38 F and 40 R

Ive got them on 36/40. Will try knocking the front up a bit.

Theres no way I could be called a flyweight. pig
NZspokes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:18 pm

i agree,i run 38/42. to me,36 feels soft and squishy

Last edited by mtbeerwah on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:59 pm

I agree - 36 (front) in both PR2 and PR3 feels under-inflated. Handling and line control is smoother at 38. I haven't tried 40 yet.
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:33 am

New rear Michelin Pr2 fitted today. The old one had done 21,000k and started showing signs of breakdown. The thickness of the rubber left in the centre is 5mm.
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Kaupy1962

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:12 pm

Strewth mr kaupy, gr8 effort getting the wear out of your hoops, thought I done well getting 19,600 out the original bridgies, (made sure they were stuffed), i've joined a few now with pr3s. Couple of k's on them and are bloody gr8, not tried the wet yet. Tyres here thankfully generate a lot of discussion and opinion, and as we know, like ar5eh0les, everybody has one... opinion that is!
Thof

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm

@Thof wrote:Strewth mr kaupy, gr8 effort getting the wear out of your hoops, thought I done well getting 19,600 out the original bridgies, (made sure they were stuffed), i've joined a few now with pr3s. Couple of k's on them and are bloody gr8, not tried the wet yet. Tyres here thankfully generate a lot of discussion and opinion, and as we know, like ar5eh0les, everybody has one... opinion that is!

Not far from the truth Thof. Pr3's are sposed to have better grip, but I can tell you that once the wax skin is gone off the Pr2 it it's good in the wet. I rub mine down a bit with 80 grit emery after they're fitted just to remove the shine.
Kaupy1962

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:14 am

I have a mate in Sydney who runs a performance shop.

He tells me that they clean the tread surface of all new tyres with a product "Prepsol" (I think that is the correct spelling) which removes the waxy coating on all new tyres.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 10:33 am

@BanditDave wrote:I have a mate in Sydney who runs a performance shop.

He tells me that they clean the tread surface of all new tyres with a product "Prepsol" (I think that is the correct spelling) which removes the waxy coating on all new tyres.

Yeah mate I was almost going to do that coz I've got some Prepsol here. Prepsol is for wiping down auto panels before spraying. Not sure if it might soak into the rubber a bit and cause it to breakdown after a while. Last time I used Spray & Wipe and seemed to do the job.
Kaupy1962

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch J on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:05 pm

They say a piccie says a thousand words eh? Absolutely love them. they feel very well planted. Even on a couple of damp to wet runs around the Mt Glorious and Mt Mee roads they are very (for want of a less 'wanky' cliche..) confidence inspiring. Mind you, it was on dry, better roads than those that i've been dragging the pegs along. But even then, everything feels very well planted and predictable. I'm keen to get a bit more practice in and see what else I can't learn myself with them.

On the topic of cleaning with prepsol and the like. For what it's worth to anyone.. One of the lads I ride with says a few of his mates clean their tyres down with a bit of Brake cleaner for track, or road work. He's been around the bikes and tracks for a while and never said anything bad of it.
Mitch J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:11 pm

That certainly looks like a wear off , not a wipe off , impressive ! Very Happy

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch J on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

@paul wrote:That certainly looks like a wear off , not a wipe off , impressive ! Very Happy

Haha! Yes, yes, thank you. I do need to extend my thanks to the Gympie Shire Council road crew for their excellent surface on the Tansey range. Their dedication and experience in road building was a majar factor in the ability for me to confidently, and consistantly, drag the pegs across the macadams lovely smooth surface Very Happy

As much fun as it was, I am a little dirty that my pegs are looking a little chewed up now Razz So long as that is all that ends up chewed at, I will be very happy. I like my bike, and myself in our neat, undented, unbroken conditions Rolling Eyes
Mitch J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:28 am

I really like your pic of the nicely focussed tar seal! Razz
Kiwisteve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch J on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:32 am

@Kiwisteve wrote:I really like your pic of the nicely focussed tar seal! Razz

That's what I get for trying to take photos with my tin-n-string Wink Gotta love the high quality pics that only Nokia can provide...
Mitch J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 6:44 am

These comments were posted under a different thread.......
"I recently purchased a set of PR3's, 6 k&n oil filters and a pair of 90 deg valve stems from Jake Wilson. $75 postage, delivered to my door 6 days after I ordered!

Bhoffo asked... "Do you have trouble getting someone to fit the tyes? (think I read elsewhere on this forum that Aussie tyre retailers/fitters don't like to put on tyres imported from o/s)"

Bhoffo. I rang around to a few motorcycle mechanics and bike shops, and all of them didnt care that the tyres were purchased from o/s. The mechanics I ended up using could do the tyres straight away (coz I was heading off the next day on a 3 day ride!), and only charged me about $20 each to fit (walked in with wheels only). He gave the tyres the once over just to make sure they werent damaged from the transit, then fitted em up. A bigger dealer was asked if they would fit them up and they too had no problems with o/s tyres - they were too far from where I lived!
Just ask your local shop and see what they say.

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Michelin Pilot Road 2's

Post  ohmyfj55 on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:42 pm

Hey Lads,

Got a puncture on my rear Pilot Road 2 at 9,500klms and it would have only been half worn at worst. Replaced the rear and left the front tyre on, to which the front now has just over 11,000klms on it and all good. Read a forum post of a Yamaha R1 rider with 20,000klms on his pilot2's some time back and now don't doubt that he was offering the truth.

Hope this helps. As for "Prepsol", this is the trade name for Wax & Grease remover. Used to be able to buy Dulux Prepsol eons ago (when i was an apprentice) as a Wax & Grease remover and in the trade the name has just stuck.

Regards,
Nathan
ohmyfj55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dunlop Q2's - Report time

Post  sb1250 on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:21 am

Ive had the Dunlop Q2’s on since Jan 2012, and time for a report.
Well, they’re a LOT better than the original OEM Dunlops! They seemed to have a good level of grip in both wet and dry conditions, and are good cold Twisted Evil . Im just into the tread indicators on the rear now, and there is a bit of movement in the wet/damp conditions. These Dunlop Q2’s have done 14300kms at 98% highway commute. The pressures were checked every 3-4 weeks, with 2 psi the most I had to top up. I ran factory pressures front and rear (36/42). The front has a little tread left, but Im going to swap both over for some of those PR3’s.
Did I get the kms out of the Q2’s as I was expecting?
Well……yes and no. I would’ve liked a few thousand more perhaps, but the Bandit is a heavier bike and the suspension isn’t as “refined” as other bikes.
Would I have another set of Q2’s?
Yep, but there’s other tyres out there I haven’t tried that need a good wearing out!
cheers

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
Ventura Rack
sb1250

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:20 am

@sb1250 wrote:Ive had the Dunlop Q2’s on since Jan 2012, and time for a report.
Well, they’re a LOT better than the original OEM Dunlops! They seemed to have a good level of grip in both wet and dry conditions, and are good cold Twisted Evil . Im just into the tread indicators on the rear now, and there is a bit of movement in the wet/damp conditions. These Dunlop Q2’s have done 14300kms at 98% highway commute. The pressures were checked every 3-4 weeks, with 2 psi the most I had to top up. I ran factory pressures front and rear (36/42). The front has a little tread left, but Im going to swap both over for some of those PR3’s.
Did I get the kms out of the Q2’s as I was expecting?
Well……yes and no. I would’ve liked a few thousand more perhaps, but the Bandit is a heavier bike and the suspension isn’t as “refined” as other bikes.
Would I have another set of Q2’s?
Yep, but there’s other tyres out there I haven’t tried that need a good wearing out!
cheers

How do the Q2's compare on price to the PR3's?

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bikes ~
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

If I recall correctly, the Q2's were a bit cheaper (approx $20 set) than the PR3's or the Pirelli Angels I was trying to purchase at the same time (Jake Wilson).

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
Ventura Rack
sb1250

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:21 am

@sb1250 wrote:If I recall correctly, the Q2's were a bit cheaper (approx $20 set) than the PR3's or the Pirelli Angels I was trying to purchase at the same time (Jake Wilson).

Cool thanks. That makes PR3's more economical then. Wink

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bikes ~
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:12 pm

I made a swing out of my OEM front Dunlop. I drilled two holes in the centreline to thread the rope through. The tread is worn down just below the limit blocks but there was still 8mm of rubber there, Could have regrooved it,
Kaupy1962

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum