Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA

+2
Dekenai
Pete
6 posters

Go down

Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA Empty Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA

Post  Pete Tue 23 Nov 2010, 10:49 pm

I fitted an Akrapovič slip on to my GSX1250FA the other day. It took all of about 10 minutes to install. A very simple and straight forward swap over requiring only two 12mm spanners (or socket) and an Allen key. Anti-seize paste is supplied with the muffler.

Built quality is top notch, as you'd expect from a reputable brand, as is the sound quality (with or without the baffle). With the baffle out it's still not overly loud, but is noticeably more "aggressive" and "deeper" than the stock muffler note.

It does have some increased crackling/popping on deceleration, but I understand this can be rectified with a PAIRS/EVAP systems removal kit from Scott (Metrick Metal). It's not over the top though, so if you weren't too concerned with the condition of your muffler packing and/or exhaust valves you could just let it go...

http://www.akrapovic.com/motorcycle-exhaust/products/suzuki/model/gsx-1250-f-fa-2010/slip-on-320d65724a/

Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA Img_0413

Pete

Back to top Go down

Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA Empty Re: Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA

Post  Dekenai Wed 24 Nov 2010, 7:31 am

Don't need no kit, all you need do is block the pair supply line. There is a junction under the tank on the left near where the electrical connector from the fuel tank goes back into the harness. Split here and insert your chosen plug, I used a kid's marble. Rejoin and no more snap, crackle and pop.

Cheers Peter
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA Empty Re: Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 24 Nov 2010, 8:56 am

Pete wrote:
It does have some increased crackling/popping on deceleration, but I understand this can be rectified with a PAIRS/EVAP systems removal kit from Scott (Metrick Metal). It's not over the top though, so if you weren't too concerned with the condition of your muffler packing and/or exhaust valves you could just let it go...

Air is fed into the system well after the valves and would make no difference to engine life as the same amount of air is put through IMOH.
Happy to debate Neutral

I like the snap crackle and pop the Beowulf produces.
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Wed 24 Nov 2010, 9:51 am

2wheelsagain wrote:
Air is fed into the system well after the valves and would make no difference to engine life as the same amount of air is put through IMOH.
Happy to debate Neutral

I can not see how it is possible for air to be fed into the system "well after the (exhaust) valves", as the PAIR system connects to engine via the top of the rocker cover, not to the exhaust manifold and/or catalyzer. So taking that into consideration, where else could it possibly be feeding it?! scratch

The problem is not with the volume of air flow, but with the ignition of fuel outside of the combustion chamber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

"However, the extra heat of recombustion, particularly with an excessively rich exhaust caused by misfiring or a maladjusted carburetor, tended to damage exhaust valves and could even be seen to cause the exhaust manifold to incandesce". I've spoken to a couple of mechanics about "after fire" ("back fire" is typically used to describe the same event occuring in the induction system), and they have both said that it will eventually damage the exhaust valves.

I've also read that disabling the PAIR system results in better ECU management of the air-fuel ratio, which perhaps explains the smoother operation of the bike with this system disabled.

On a side note, I've spoken to a few people in the industry about the marvels of modern machinery, and they've all said that manufacturers these days don't particularly care about the longevity of their products. Provided they make it through the regulations, and the warranty period, that's all that matters. Try getting parts for a new Suzuki (or any other bike) in 10 years time and you'll be doing well. Sure, you'll be able to get them, but you'll have to wait 5 weeks whilst they are shipped in from overseas from some obscure third world country that no one has ever heard of. You're expected to buy a new bike every model cycle (typically 3 years) - remember that.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 24 Nov 2010, 12:30 pm

Ok so not "well after" but I still say the location wont shorten engine life. No company wants to produce a vehicle that bight develop a bad reputation for an iconic brand and most bikes built these days will prove more reliable than those built 20 years ago.
Page 1B3 of the 08 manual
Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA Pair10
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Wed 24 Nov 2010, 2:38 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:Ok so not "well after" but I still say the location wont shorten engine life. No company wants to produce a vehicle that bight develop a bad reputation for an iconic brand and most bikes built these days will prove more reliable than those built 20 years ago.
Page 1B3 of the 08 manual
Akrapovič slip on for 2010 GSX1250FA Pair10

Looking at that picture it's plumbed pretty well much straight onto the back of the exhaust valve.

I wouldn't confuse reliability with longevity. There's still the occasional Model-T getting out and about. Rare perhaps, but certainly not unheard of. That will not be the case with today's cars and bikes. I'll put money on it. Heck, out of the 100 or so guys and girls that I ride with, I know of only a handful that ride pre-2000 machines. They are all throw away these days - thanks to Hyundai I reckon, 'cause they really started the trend with the Excel back in the late 90's.

It's the same with most other goods. Take fridges for example, I've seen plenty of old Kelvinator's that are still going, 50 years strong. The latest you beaut Samsung's are lucky if they'll reach 5...

I believe many manufacturers now stamp all of their parts with the appropriate recycling code. Ok, admittedly that is probably government regulation, but still, what's it say about the product.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Wed 24 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm

Pete wrote:
On a side note, I've spoken to a few people in the industry about the marvels of modern machinery, and they've all said that manufacturers these days don't particularly care about the longevity of their products. Provided they make it through the regulations, and the warranty period, that's all that matters. Try getting parts for a new Suzuki (or any other bike) in 10 years time and you'll be doing well. Sure, you'll be able to get them, but you'll have to wait 5 weeks whilst they are shipped in from overseas from some obscure third world country that no one has ever heard of. You're expected to buy a new bike every model cycle (typically 3 years) - remember that.

Shocked What in the world are you talking about? That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever read...
Manufacturers pride themselves on maintaining a reputation of reliability and expect their machines to last much longer than 3 years. Sure, after ten years it may become more difficult to source parts, but that is the same for any consumer product.
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Wed 24 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm

*sigh* I wish I still had your optimism... Anyway, it's getting a bit off topic, so let's all just agree to disagree.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Thu 25 Nov 2010, 4:38 am

mine bangs like buggery but i am sure the standard one did too - only hard to hear. wouldn't there still be the same amount of backfiring in any case regardless of the muffler ?
potatomasher
potatomasher

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Thu 25 Nov 2010, 10:48 am

I sourced the Metrik bits via Holeshot. I fitted up Dales stage 1 kit tune (still running the secondaries for now) & it is a different bike to ride. Not snatchy under constant throttle ...........so much smoother rev out. The Pairs removal kit is very well made & well thought out.
When I get motivated I pull out the secondaries & tweak the settings to Holeshots' stage 2 tune.........!
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down