BMW K1600 GT

Go down

BMW K1600 GT

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 6:47 pm

So I've just come back from a 7 week stint working out west, and had no intention of going out today test riding bike's, but I did. 

The bike in question, is one I've been looking at for a long time.  Something that was a possibility to add to the collection for the right moment.
I've watched endless Youtube clips, and read lots of reviews.
Verdict....not for me thanks !!!!

Yes, I'm well aware of what the bike is targeted at, but out of all the bikes in this genre, it is known as a sporty tourer.
With figures of 160HP, and 174NM, with 70% of that torque quoted to be at just 1500RPM, I found it to be extremely sleepy untill 2700-3000RPM.
The thing does get up and go,  there's no denying that, but you have to give a serve to make it go.
The 6 cylinders sound is absolutely beautiful when singing, and it carries the 330 odd kilo's very well.
I also didn't like the seat, uncomfortable for my arse.
Its got too much bullshit electronics, and I didn't think the suspension was all that great as well. It was smooth on the hi-way, but that was the beautifully balanced engine, not the suspension set up.

I just found it to be boring.....very boring. Although the sales bloke was trying to tell me how cool the stereo was,  to which I asked him to turn it off, as I have no interest in that,  or how annoying it was when he turned it up flat out. 

I think a Kawasaki ZX 1400  with revised handle bars for comfort would be more in tune for me. Yet to ride one.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BMW K1600 GT

Post  gus on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 10:44 pm

Thank God ,bigger isn't always best .
gus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 12:54 pm

@mtbeerwah wrote:So I've just come back from a 7 week stint working out west, and had no intention of going out today test riding bike's, but I did. 

I found it to be extremely sleepy untill 2700-3000RPM.
The thing does get up and go,  there's no denying that, but you have to give a serve to make it go.

Must be a BMW thing. The boxer engine is pretty much the same, It wakes up at 3000. They tell me it's "just the way they are"
Waiting for the warranty to expire now Rolling Eyes

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 6:47 pm

Everyone has their own expectations on what they think a bike will be like by reviews, and what they want out of a bike.  
The only way you'll know is by test riding.
It just wasn't what I expected it to be. 

I rode the 1000rr when they first came out.  Beautifully balanced bike,  but once again,  you have to cane it to enjoy it.  Nothing really under 7000rpm, then it rips your shoulders out of it's sockets.

Whats wrong with manufacturers these days ?????
There's a few over litre bikes out there, but they're either stupid big, or stupid powerful, and the litre class are just revving machines. Then there's the other European contenders. Some nice, but reliability  ???

Eg:
  ZX 14.  It's a reasonable big bike,  and stupid powerful. Could be a possibility. .... Still have to ride the VFR1200.

K1600. Too big.

GSX1000F. I like this thing,  although for different  reasons. it's got no torque. Typical litre. They should try and fit the 1250 in it. Nice and nimble, with torque, and get rid of the drink bottle sized fuel tanks they're putting on bikes these days. 

Am I just whinging....someone build me a bike I want. 
It's just going to come down to having multiple different bike's. That's nice and all, but I'm not made of money.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum