Bike Fitness / Aging/ and confusing ones ambitions and abilities.

Go down

Bike Fitness / Aging/ and confusing ones ambitions and abilities.

Post  jwm on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 12:12 pm

Haven't had a chance to do much riding since I purchased the GSX1250FA about 4 months ago. The wife and I spent 4 or 5 weeks away in the caravan touring, I was crook with a virus for about 5 weeks after we got home and then I finished up with a bit of metal dust in my eye, which took another 2 weeks out of the equation.
I got out for about 1 1/2 hrs on the bike last week and thought I would push the boundaries a bit further this week. So, I arranged to meet a mate in Goulburn on Friday for lunch, a nice little easy 350km round trip from home, or so i though.
Spent all day Thursday out on Jervis Bay Fishing and felt absolutely buggered that night but never the less got up the next morning looking forward to the ride. Left home and had a nice quiet gentle ride up through the Kangaroo Valley and down to Goulburn, had coffee and lunch with the mate and then it was time to head home via Taraga and Nerriga. By the time I got home I was buggered and here it is 2 days latter and I still feel tired and run down and still dragging my sorry arse around the house.
So, I guess things have changed somewhat over the last 2 1/2 to 3 yrs, which is the period if time I had off bikes. Firstly, I have absolutely minimal bike fitness. Secondly, I'm now obviously  3 yrs older (why wasn't I warned about this age thing). Thirdly, my durability levels aren't what they used to be.

Gee, it only seems like yesterday I could spend all day on the bike and I was doing FarRides and Iron Butt Rides. I wonder what happened to that young man.

In some ways these past few months have given me a great deal of insight into my life as it now is.  I now understand why bears hibernate during winter, as I now find myself detesting winter and wishing I could avoid it completely. I also now understand why many older riders are happy to do just  'short cafe latte' rides, the truth of the matter being that they are probably not capable of going any further.

Never the less, I will push on and be more realistic with more short term ride goals until I get to the the stage where I can build up my durability levels and hopefully get back somewhere near the distances I was previously able to ride.

jwm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bike Fitness / Aging/ and confusing ones ambitions and abilities.

Post  paul on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 1:05 pm

I'd blame the days fishing  Laughing

Loosing your fitness is super easy as you age , so the more you do the better off you will be ..............more riding will help your body , and your mind as well .

( I feel a bit like I'm writing  my own "dear Dorothy Dix" column  Razz )

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 5:35 pm

Yep, I'll be 60 next month and a long day on the Bandit takes it out of me, especially if there are a lot of twisties involved (but hey, who wants to give them up). On non-riding days, if I've been putting in a hard mornings work, I'll take a rest/nap after lunch - good for managing fatigue and getting ready for the arvo.

cheers
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jwm on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 6:00 pm

Thank you 'Dorothy Dix' for your words of advice. You jokingly probably hit the nail on the head to some degree when you said, "I'd blame the days fishing  ". I know from past experience of Fishing Days that they usually leave me feeling very flat and un- energetic for a couple of days after the event. I think it's all that wave motion and trying to keep your balance that fatigues you. I guess a day on the bike following the fishing day probably wasn't a great idea, given the time I've been off bikes.

God Ewok 1958, your only a boy. I've got 8+ years on you, I did my Iron Butt SS1600 when I was 60. Never the less, the afternoon nap thing sounds like a good idea.

I keep looking in all the book stores and online for that book, you know the one, 'How should I feel when I get Older. A year by year description'. Sad

jwm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 1:25 pm

At near on 54 I've had to do some things differently for a few years now

I never leave for a ride 100km or more with out wearing compression skins

Instead of riding from fuel stop to fuel stop, I do a few minutes walk off the bike about every 1 1/2 hrs

Another forum member suggested popping a anti inflammatory pain relief before the days ride, that seems to help a lot, particularly if you are stiff stiff from the day before

A lambs wool seat cover has made a big improvement

I've also learnt to do stretches and exercises while I ride, I can now crack my upper back while I'm riding, also stand on the pegs in most towns
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 4:49 pm

JWM Last year i planned a ride across to WA. In preparation for this I also planned a few long day rides prior to the trip. Guess what? I never got around to doing them Crying or Very sad instead I was constantly working every overtime shift I could to fill the coffers so I wouldn't have to worry about that side of things.
So although I have ridden long distances in the past, it had been a long time since the last one...

A few mods I did ready for the ride.
Already had a Sargent seat so added a lambs wool cover for it. As Chook said previously, makes a big difference.
Highway pegs. when your out on that long dull stretch of road, they give you an alternative foot position.
Kaoko Throttle lock. Why not give that right hand a rest from time to time. Not recommended in the twisties affraid

Also like chook said, I could easily crank out 2-2.5 hours first up in the morning. After that I was stopping every hour just for a stretch.
The 3rd day after Adelaide I clocked up 1000k

I don't like popping pills but I have been guilty of doing so occasionally.

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chalkie on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 2:44 pm

Spring chickens - I’m 71 and still throwing the leg over (the bike). Keep riding boys!
Chalkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 4:33 pm

@Chalkie wrote:Spring chickens - I’m 71 and still throwing the leg over (the bike). Keep riding boys!

Though I hope its not just the bike Wink

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum