Batteries

Go down

Batteries

Post  paul on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 5:08 pm

Has anyone tried a AGM battery & if so what are they like ?

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/gel-vs-agm.html

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7272
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  reddog on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 7:55 pm

I wouldn't bother. Just use the cheap lead acid stuff. I've tried lithium and it's failed 18 months later. Gel cell similar
avatar
reddog

Posts : 2505
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 40
Location : Allanson WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  paul on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 10:57 pm

I had heard the Gel ones don't last  & hadn't really thought much about Lithium  , but know little about  the AGM ones ..............I was a bit skeptical so thought I would ask  , you are probably right about using the lead acid one .

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7272
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  rodent4 on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 6:45 pm

Either one over lead acid is great, all's "lead acid" batteries do is accelerate oxidisation of metal parts.

Whatever extra Gel/AGM cost, it will be minimal in the long run compared to the damage that Lead acid will do.

rodent4

Posts : 97
Join date : 2012-12-27
Location : Sunbury

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  gus on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 8:38 pm

confused
avatar
gus

Posts : 5702
Join date : 2010-11-23
Age : 67
Location : Cygnet ,Tasmania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  BanditDave on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 4:38 am

@rodent4 wrote:Either one over lead acid is great, all's "lead acid" batteries do is accelerate oxidisation of metal parts.

Whatever extra Gel/AGM cost, it will be minimal in the long run compared to the damage that Lead acid will do.


I don't think the lead acid battery (assuming it is the sealed type) is the cause of most corrosion.

From my observation, most modern jap bikes used return wires from each circuit back to the battery which should minimise current flow through the frame components.

The reason for doing so is to avoid current flow through dissimilar metals, steel frame, bronze swingarm bushes and aluminium swing arm being a good example.

The only unavoidable circuit is through the starter motor which only operates momentarily.

I think a lot of aftermarket accessories (driving lights come to mind), could be possible causes where they are bolted "metal to metal" leading to current paths through the frame.

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 735
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 67
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  steve61 on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 6:57 am

Ive used AGM batteries in my 4x4's for years and get great service out of them , I cant see any reason they would be less reliable in a bike
avatar
steve61

Posts : 20
Join date : 2018-04-14
Age : 56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  paul on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 12:35 pm

On further investigation , it seems there is cheaper  , or dearer AGM's.............not that they are very expensive anyway . The cheaper ones tend to have a lower CCA ( around 175 ) , and a lot of the others are around 250 to 285 . I spoke to our local SSB distributor , & they sell an updated one now for want of a better description with CCA 340 . The cost is $80 , so I will give it a go , & maybe invest in a  maintenance  charger seeing as my rides have gone from daily  to weekly . Time will tell I suppose , but these have good reports with long standby time ,  their only problem is if you let them run right down because of lack of use combined with  having something using the power in the background ( accessory ) they don't like recharging, & will be pretty much stuffed . 
This is the battery .............

https://superstart.com.au/rtz14-s-high-peformance-agm-motorcycle-battery.html

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7272
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  Chook on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 5:27 pm

Are you replacing the OEM battery paul?


Just lately I get nervous after returning to work after a week away, my OEM lead acid is now 6 1/2 years old and hasn't shown any signs of slowing, I've never got much past 4 years before  Shocked
avatar
Chook

Posts : 3293
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 53
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  paul on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 6:09 pm

@Chook wrote:Are you replacing the OEM battery paul?


Just lately I get nervous after returning to work after a week away, my OEM lead acid is now 6 1/2 years old and hasn't shown any signs of slowing, I've never got much past 4 years before  Shocked
Yes , it's the original battery from OCT 2010 ...................Although the bike fires up almost instantly , I have noticed that now I don't ride daily  & the cold weather is here , it is starting to crank over slower , all be it for only a short time , but I don't want it to die somewhere when I park on a ride and no where near home . The battery place is down your way at the bottom of Richmond road . .......................On A plus note , I just dragged out my charger & discovered it is a 6 or 12 volt trickle or heavy duty charge , and with an automatic cut off  cheers

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7272
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  Chook on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 6:30 pm

I bought my bike 3 months after that, 1/11, complianced 9/10 but I know it was delivered to Adelaide partially assembled in boxes the day before I took delivery
avatar
Chook

Posts : 3293
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 53
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  BanditDave on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 6:35 pm

@paul wrote:
@Chook wrote:Are you replacing the OEM battery paul?


Just lately I get nervous after returning to work after a week away, my OEM lead acid is now 6 1/2 years old and hasn't shown any signs of slowing, I've never got much past 4 years before  Shocked
Yes , it's the original battery from OCT 2010 ...................Although the bike fires up almost instantly , I have noticed that now I don't ride daily  & the cold weather is here , it is starting to crank over slower , all be it for only a short time , but I don't want it to die somewhere when I park on a ride and no where near home . The battery place is down your way at the bottom of Richmond road . .......................On A plus note , I just dragged out my charger & discovered it is a 6 or 12 volt trickle or heavy duty charge , and with an automatic cut off  cheers

Howdy Paul,
I think I may have posted this previously

How to decide if you need to replace your battery.

1. Find a battery supplier on top of a hill.
2. Ride to within about 1Km of said supplier.
3. Switch off your engine.
4. Push your bike uphill to the battery supplier.
5. Once you arrive (assuming you do!), ask yourself if it was worth the effort.
6. Stop being a tight ass and buy a new battery.

Incidentally, I regard a battery that lasts more than 2-3 years a real bonus.

AND, buy yourself a multi stage automatic battery charger to maintain YOUR NEW BATTERY in good condition. - unless you really enjoyed the journey to the battery dealer as described above.

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 735
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 67
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  paul on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 6:57 pm

@BanditDave wrote:
@paul wrote:
@Chook wrote:Are you replacing the OEM battery paul?


Just lately I get nervous after returning to work after a week away, my OEM lead acid is now 6 1/2 years old and hasn't shown any signs of slowing, I've never got much past 4 years before  Shocked
Yes , it's the original battery from OCT 2010 ...................Although the bike fires up almost instantly , I have noticed that now I don't ride daily  & the cold weather is here , it is starting to crank over slower , all be it for only a short time , but I don't want it to die somewhere when I park on a ride and no where near home . The battery place is down your way at the bottom of Richmond road . .......................On A plus note , I just dragged out my charger & discovered it is a 6 or 12 volt trickle or heavy duty charge , and with an automatic cut off  cheers

Howdy Paul,
I think I may have posted this previously

How to decide if you need to replace your battery.

1. Find a battery supplier on top of a hill.
2. Ride to within about 1Km of said supplier.
3. Switch off your engine.
4. Push your bike uphill to the battery supplier.
5. Once you arrive (assuming you do!), ask yourself if it was worth the effort.
6. Stop being a tight ass and buy a new battery.

Incidentally, I regard a battery that lasts more than 2-3 years a real bonus.

AND, buy yourself a multi stage automatic battery charger to maintain YOUR NEW BATTERY in good condition. - unless you really enjoyed the journey to the battery dealer as described above.
LOL , I thought this battery was never going to die .............probably the old adage of use it or lose it must apply here , I was doing a 25km each way commute every day until I retired at the end of DEC. , and have only been riding it mainly once weekly 100 to 200 km to blow away the cobwebs since then & have just started noticing the change lately .................................do you think I was given a dud battery when I bought the bike ? Laughing

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7272
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  aussie on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 7:04 pm

My August 2010 bandit still has the original battery. I bought a new battery a year ago to replace the original - wanted to be on the safe side. I put it in my Norton Commando, temporarily while I checked the electrics and it has been there ever since. keep meaning to swap them over but  Embarassed you know how it is with good intentions.

aussie

Posts : 81
Join date : 2011-01-01
Location : Brisbane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  barry_mcki on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 8:24 pm

That's a good price on a 340 CCA battery Paul, I paid more than that for my Motobat MBTX9U and its only 160CCA.  The Motobat does have twin (or would you call it quad) terminals, two positive and two negative, this I find handy with all the extra electrical circuits I'm running.

Check out the CTEK multistage chargers at Repco, they have specials on every now and then where you can pick up the XS08's or the 5.0's.  You don't need more than the 0.8 for the bike, the 5.0 can handle a car battery if you want to.  I've now got three 0.8's and a 5.0 Test , got rid of all my other chargers.

A wise man once said batteries don't normally die, they are usually killed.  With the wrong charger or not charging properly you can easily ruin a new battery.

_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1687
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 61
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  BanditDave on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 12:06 pm

Howdy Paul,

Now that you are on a spending spree, it is time to buy a GOOD battery charger.

You will regret buying store brand chargers from Supercheap, Jaycar etc.

My advice is a Ctek MX5.0 which has 0.8amp and 5.0amp charge rates, ideal for both bike and car applications.

I just looked on Ebay and looks like the best price is around $116 including postage.

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 735
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 67
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  madmax on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 4:18 pm

@rodent4 wrote:Either one over lead acid is great, all's "lead acid" batteries do is accelerate oxidisation of metal parts.

Whatever extra Gel/AGM cost, it will be minimal in the long run compared to the damage that Lead acid will do.

Lets not forget that Gel and AGM are also Lead Acid batteries

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4104
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 54
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  madmax on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 4:21 pm

@Chook wrote:Are you replacing the OEM battery paul?


Just lately I get nervous after returning to work after a week away, my OEM lead acid is now 6 1/2 years old and hasn't shown any signs of slowing, I've never got much past 4 years before  Shocked

My battery was over 7years old when I traded. It had never given me any trouble. Also I believe the OEM battery was an AGM (sealed)
2 batteries in the Falcon both lasted over 6 years

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4104
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 54
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  BanditDave on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 6:09 pm

Howdy Paul,

Providing you are comfortable with pushing vehicles, keep your original battery by all means.

The people offering alternative advice are probably not going to be anywhere close to you when you require some assistance (with pushing).

BTW I waited 3 hours some years ago for RACQ assistance although I was in the top service coverage.

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 735
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 67
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  paul on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 6:26 pm

Well , the deed is done ...............well almost ......bloody slack retirees , still have to fit it yet Rolling Eyes . I also ended up  buying the CTEK xs 0.8 charger ; as Barry said , Repco had it on special for $69  cheers  ( thanks Barry ) and as it's only for the bike , there should be no worries ( I already have one with all the bells & whistles to use for the car .)

The hand manual for my bike only says the battery is " maintenance free " , so until I swap them over , I don't know what type it was / is , but over 7 & 1/2 years is a sterling effort I thought .

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7272
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 66
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  2wheelsagain on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 7:37 pm

You can’t go wrong with a ctek charger and be thankful you don’t own a euro bike that comes from the factory with a battery tender because they thought it a good idea to basically but 2 D cells in to crank a 13:1 compression engine and to cap it off the battery is under the tank

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6304
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 54
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  barry_mcki on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 9:36 pm

I think the original factory battery was the YUASA YT12A-BS.  This is a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) , so not AGM or GEL. CCA is 175, 10.5 Ah.  Yuasa Spec Sheet

_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1687
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 61
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  BanditDave on Sat 23 Jun 2018, 7:02 am

@paul wrote:Well , the deed is done ...............well almost ......bloody slack retirees , still have to fit it yet Rolling Eyes . I also ended up  buying the CTEK xs 0.8 charger ; as Barry said , Repco had it on special for $69  cheers  ( thanks Barry ) and as it's only for the bike , there should be no worries ( I already have one with all the bells & whistles to use for the car .)

The hand manual for my bike only says the battery is " maintenance free " , so until I swap them over , I don't know what type it was / is , but over 7 & 1/2 years is a sterling effort I thought .

Well done, Paul on some fine purchases.

I guess the advantage of the 0.8amp charger is that it is only really useful with small batteries so friends and family are less likely to want to borrow it.

_________________
BanditDave
Hervey Bay, Queensland

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
avatar
BanditDave

Posts : 735
Join date : 2011-07-24
Age : 67
Location : Hervey Bay, Queensland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Batteries

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum