Chattering over corrugations.

Go down

Chattering over corrugations.

Post  opa on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 5:07 pm

Noticed, last ride out, the rear was chattering over corrugations and generally not feeling 'planted'.  I'm guessing the rear shockie is shagged.  Considered a rebuild with gold valve for $440.00 or a replacement with a remote preload adjuster.  How the fuck did Suzuki intend the standard shock preload to be possible with the tool supplied? 

I pillion my sons from time to time and they are big boys now.  The question is what rear shock to buy? I've looked at the Wilbers Nivomat, seems almost like magic but, $1300.00, really?  The Ohlins with external preload adjustment comes in at over $1400..!  Hard to get my head around how a top of the line car shock absorber is no more than a couple hundred dollars and one shock for a bike costs so much more!  Is there an alternative?  is there a shock from another bike which fits and has remote preload?
opa

View user profile http://www.inner-voyage.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Chattering over corrugations.

Post  Chook on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 6:55 pm

@opa wrote:  How the fuck did Suzuki intend the standard shock preload to be possible with the tool supplied? 

It is possible, a right pain in the arse (or hand if you slip) but none the less, very possible
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  opa on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:46 pm

@Chook wrote:
@opa wrote:  How the fuck did Suzuki intend the standard shock preload to be possible with the tool supplied? 

It is possible, a right pain in the arse (or hand if you slip) but none the less, very possible
Must be a trick to it?  I managed to move it between 3 and 4 but that's it!
opa

View user profile http://www.inner-voyage.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:49 pm

@opa wrote:
@Chook wrote:

it does get easier, are you using the extension handle as well, I/ve made a little bit longer handle, 19mm sq tube IIRC
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 8:22 pm

If I recall correctly, even an Ohlins is supposed to be serviced every 20,000kms. I'm not sure what exactly is involved in a 'service'.
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:35 pm

Hi mate,
I've got a fully adjustable Wilbers.
( remote preload as well. If I'm spending big $$$ on Suspension like I did, I'd be stupid not to spend a bit more and get remote preload...so much easier to adjust)
Money well spent for me. Had the bike almost 14 yrs, and my main source of transportation.

On my other Bandits, I've put on GSX R 1000 07-08.
You could also put on 99-07 Hayabusa shock.....
If you've got ABS, I can't comment !!!!!!
You will have to change the dogbones with gix 1000 shock, and can get away with the busa shock. Busa will probably lift the arse end about 25mm. Not bad really.

All shocks have to be serviced. I've just done the Wilbers after 3 yrs of owning. I couldn't do it, as it had to be done where I bought it for warranty purposes, also I don't have the gas for re-gasing.
The preload on standard's do suck, but as has been suggested, just make an extender for the stocker, allot easier.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 8:33 am

@Chook wrote:

yep ,what ^ said. Bloody awkward, but possible........

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 8:39 am

@Ewok1958 wrote:If I recall correctly, even an Ohlins is supposed to be serviced every 20,000kms. I'm not sure what exactly is involved in a 'service'.

@mtbeerwah wrote:
All shocks have to be serviced. I've just done the Wilbers after 3 yrs of owning. I couldn't do it, as it had to be done where I bought it for warranty purposes, also I don't have the gas for re-gasing.
The preload on standard's do suck, but as has been suggested, just make an extender for the stocker, allot easier.

So if that goes for the OEM shock, then mine should have been done 3 times already. I bet it hasn't been touched........

Thing is I don't want to spend big money on this bike anymore, as I'm not sure how long I'll keep it

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:05 am

.[/quote]

So

If you don't plan on keeping a bike along  time,  spending big money is stupid. But there's still the option of the aforementioned  shocks.  The 07-08 GSXR 1000 shock is a very good shock. It's got High and Low speed compression adjust, along with rebound. The preload is screw ring locks, better than the standard , more precise adjusting, although you will need C-spanner's to adjust them.
You would also have to trim either battery box or airbox bits to make fit for the gas canister. The gix 1000 requires the bottom of the battery box to be trimmed, and the Busa needs the airbox trimmed. The 1000 is better in my opinion, although has a softer spring, but I find it alright. I had to make longer dogbones to fix the ride height. Easy job.
The last one I bought,  which was at xmas for my latest gen1, I bought, was about $85 delivered from the US.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill & Ted on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 4:35 pm

@opa wrote:
@Chook wrote:

Tape a couple of 10c coins to the flat section on the c spanner and use the extension, read this somewhere and it worked for me.
Bill & Ted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 5:07 pm

Bill & Ted wrote:
@opa wrote:
@Chook wrote:

Tape a couple of 10c coins to the flat section on the c spanner and use the extension, read this somewhere and it worked for me.
cheers

I can see exactly how that would help without even trying it!!
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 11:30 pm

Have you got the 1200 or 1250? The earlier Suzuki GSX-R 750 shock fits the 1200 and really improves the handling too. Can't imagine they would cost too much.

Previous bikes: Suzuki GSX1400 K7, Suzuki GSX1250FA, Suzuki GSX1100EZ, Suzuki GS650EZ, Suzuki GT185
Theov39

Location : Sydney, Australia although up in Lismore a lot too. My profile pic is from 1985 on a GS650E heading up there again.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gus on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 6:15 pm

I just had my Ohlins serviced .Needed a top and lower bush ,plus the service (it was leaking ) $600 .Ouch .
Have a look at Hagon  not fancy but ok .
gus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum