1100km's in 13hrs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1100km's in 13hrs

Post  mtbeerwah on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 7:24 pm

Just finished a trip from Airlie Beach, ( central north queensland) to brisbane. 1114km's
I've done a few 1000km days, on past journeys,...but this one took its toll.
I left at 3:30am this morning,  and got in at 4:30pm.
I feel like I could sleep for a week.
The gen 1 returned 21.6L/km at best,  and 18.2 at worst.  But that was due to...umm....not the speed limit !!!!!

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1100km's in 13hrs

Post  Chook on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 7:45 pm

@mtbeerwah wrote:
The gen 1 returned 21.6L/km at best,  and 18.2 at worst.  But that was due to...umm....not the speed limit !!!!!
should that be 21.6 km/L and 18.2 km/L?

big effort either, well done, my biggest ever day was just over 900km and that was 2up with my (then) 13yo daughter on the back, kind of wish I'd gone another 100 so we could both say we'd done 1000km in a day
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 7:52 pm

@Chook wrote:
@mtbeerwah wrote:

big effort either, well done, my biggest ever day was just over 900km and that was 2up with my (then) 13yo daughter on the back, kind of wish I'd gone another 100 so we could both say we'd done 1000km in a day
Ha ha....so much for proof reading, when you're half asleep.
I'll  be hitting the sack very soon.
This has been my biggest day, and I don't want to repeat it any time soon.

900km's is still a big stint, so don't feel too bad for that effort.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 11:50 pm

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 9:13 am

@Chook wrote:
@mtbeerwah wrote:

Yeah I'm not going to do it!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 11:08 am

I slept 10hrs, I normally only ever sleep 6hrs at max, and I still feel like shit.  A bit like a hang over. 

I won't be doing that again. 
600k's is fine, and that's what I'll stick to.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:08 pm

@mtbeerwah wrote:I slept 10hrs, I normally only ever sleep 6hrs at max, and I still feel like shit.  A bit like a hang over. 

I won't be doing that again. 
600k's is fine, and that's what I'll stick to.
My trip across to WA is based on 500-600 per day.
I could do more but not when you've got to do it day after day.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gus on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:57 pm

I have done it a couple of times , and I never want to do it again . I could hardly speak or move the next day .
gus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 9:27 pm

I like big rides.  OK, if you get lucky with the seasons and timing.  Wildlife can be an issue.  Home to Gympie 1665 km in one go. that's 5 consecutive tanks of fuel.  It took a LONG time. (22 hours going) Back was about the same - maybe 1 1/2 - 2 hours less.  I didn't stop as much.  I behaved myself the whole way, both ways.  It was Easter, wasn't it.  I saw no wildlife at all,  except for a few well rolled out ones, and I was looking, especially in a few places I know.  I'm OK with that so long as I get to go to sleep as soon as I start to fade after the ride.  Not so good if I have to stay on my feet another 6 hours catching up upon arrival.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 2:28 am

@jstava wrote:I like big rides.  OK, if you get lucky with the seasons and timing.  Wildlife can be an issue.  Home to Gympie 1665 km in one go. that's 5 consecutive tanks of fuel.  It took a LONG time. (22 hours going) Back was about the same - maybe 1 1/2 - 2 hours less.  I didn't stop as much.  I behaved myself the whole way, both ways.  It was Easter, wasn't it.  I saw no wildlife at all,  except for a few well rolled out ones, and I was looking, especially in a few places I know.  I'm OK with that so long as I get to go to sleep as soon as I start to fade after the ride.  Not so good if I have to stay on my feet another 6 hours catching up upon arrival.
I  don't think i could ride that far. My arse was the first thing that started ennoying me,  then pains in  my back and shoulders, then my knees started being the real issue. Lots of old sporting injuries with them, was making them burn, to the point,  when I stopped for fuel,  I had a hard time getting off the bike,  and supporting my weight. .

Driving on the other hand,  I've done some very big drives, without an issue,  apart from the eventual fatigue, which still made me feel horrible when I eventually stopped to sleep. 
Mt Isa to Brisbane straight,  and Gladstone to Alice Springs straight. Having a fridge in the car, sucking on a particular brand of drink, that keeps you awake. 
You don't suffer the same effects as riding,  as riding is more phyical. I'll keep with the 600 thing from now on.

If you can do it without effects, you're doing well.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 11:43 am

Riding is WAY better for me over medium and long distances than cars - in my case, a ute.   I get dozy in cars too easily. One can be just a little too comfortable.  I'll often drive without music for that reason, or not use the heater in the Winter.   Whereas I have no problem maintaining concentration on a bike for long periods of time.  

I like the bike because there are more "tellers" as sensory inputs, whereas, in a car its much more a visual thing only. There is just so much more going on, on a bike, and it keeps me interested.  The bottom line is probably this.  If one has a problem out in woop-woop in a car in the wee hours, one can always just curl up and have a kip and deal with it in the morning. Listening to the mechanicals, I want to know about something before I have a problem that will stop me,  watching the road, examining the road surface, keeping an eye on traffic, working out fuel stops, navigating using road signs only, memory and minimal map consults keeps the mind working, not to mention speed budgets where there are gantry mounted Safe-T cams which clock point to point - yeah, I know, that is only for trucks (in theory), what's that weird thing moving up ahead on the road?  Think about it. Rush up for a look? No, I'll just wait until I reach it. - Good choice.  It turned out to be a mobile speed camera vehicle, driving at 5 km below the limit.  I don't think the guy rushing up from behind fared so well. 

The body?  Well I've had the hip replaced.  No longer have the pain of arthritis.  It's all about staying completely relaxed, and adjusting one's position every so often, don't forget arms, shoulders, neck and trunk. Move them around at least in every town, before they start to feel stiff.  The stock seat comes off for any serious travelling, to be replaced by a Corbin.  I've kept the highway pegs, put on to make riding any longer than an hour bearable when arthritis was a factor. The ability to vary ones foot position and the extra room to move around the seat has over the stocker still does wonders for long distances.  I used to like my K2 Honda 4 for the long flat seat its lower rear footpads and crash bars for the myriad of positions one could ride in. I appreciated that 4 decades ago, but didn't until recently fully comprehend the sense of old bike ergos.  Modern bikes don't have such luxuries. A pox on cockpit seating arrangements, or seats which cause one to gravitate to "that one spot" like the stock Bandit seat does.  It's good for short rides though - anything up to maybe 200 km.    

Now I don't really do the distances (as often or as far) I did in the early 1970s.  THEN, when fuel was cheap and thrills were only a twist of the grip away, so long as one didn't drain the fuel tank too quickly in the enthusiasm of it all.  Large bikes were a way of covering seriously large distances QUICKLY, then.  Now, it all comes down to traffic, and traffic rules and penalties. Take a number, wait your turn. You'll get there in the end.  It just takes time.   

This is why I ride a Bandit.  It's a really good traveller, and doesn't get real thirsty if one ups the ante in the increasingly rare empty, quiet spaces.  The K2 did. 

We often pine for a bike we owned some time many years ago that we "never should have parted with".  Well I could somehow transport this bike back 4 - 4 1/2 decades, to those different days, then that would be my fantastic dream.  One can only dream, but the reality was, the roads were pretty ordinary at the time. 

My rave for the day.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 11:52 am

Well speaking of Honda 4s,  I ditched the Bandit a year n a half ago, wind noise killed it for me. I now have only the K2 Honda four and a 76 kwaka Z9oo.

Last edited by Nic 2 on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nic 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 6:00 pm

Good look'n bikes. 
I'd like z9 !!!

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 8:22 pm

Nice bikes 

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 8:54 pm

Agree.  The K2 was one of two past bikes I'd consider owning now, if I wanted another older bike.  They made a lot of sense then, and still do.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum