Annoying Habits

Go down

Annoying Habits

Post  truck on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Gday All, 
I remember my mum and grade 6 teacher Mrs Maher hammering me with english comprehension, grammar and spelling etc. So much so that now if I am reading a report I am compelled to tell the author they have mis-spelt a word of left out a comma. 
It's the little things . . . 
Another annoying habit, I'm a boilermaker by trade, so whenever I enter a building or see any steel structures I have to inspect the weld quality. Scary thing is, that some of the welds I see, I don't think there was any quality control. 

Just wondering if any one else has annoying habits.
truck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying Habits

Post  paul on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 6:49 pm

My wife thinks I'm perfect , so I don't want to ruin that  and say I have any annoying habits   Razz lol!

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  truck on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 8:59 pm

@paul wrote:My wife thinks I'm perfect , so I don't want to ruin that  and say I have any annoying habits   Razz  lol!
My wife and kids laugh at me when I do the weld inspections, but I think thats's all they've got to complain about . . .  Rolling Eyes
truck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Sun 22 Oct 2017, 11:54 pm

I bite my finger nails and snore.... None of that bothers me though Smile
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  palexxxx on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:47 am

@truck wrote:Gday All, 
I remember my mum and grade 6 teacher Mrs Maher hammering me with English comprehension, grammar and spelling etc. So much so that now if I am reading a report I am compelled to tell the author they have misspelt a word or left out a comma. 
Another annoying habit, I'm a boilermaker by trade, so whenever I enter a building or see any steel structures I have to inspect the weld quality. Scary thing is, that some of the welds I see, I don't think there was any quality control. 

Just wondering if anyone else has annoying habits.

Hmm,  hahaha

palexxxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gus on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 10:10 pm

Hundreds ,like screw head slots not lining up . New tyres fitted but couldn't be bothered giving the wheel a quick wipe over . The word ,"ENJOY " when being served anything . 
Chalkie (Rod ) in general  Razz , coffee that isn't hot . Ultimate Diesel fuel ,don't ask for standard because there isn't such a thing . Handballing in AFL ,kick the BALL ,its not basketball .
Ect ,ect  Very Happy
Hang on ,that isn't the real question . Never mind /I feel better .
gus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  truck on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 1:13 pm

@palexxxx wrote:
@truck wrote:Gday All, 
I remember my mum and grade 6 teacher Mrs Maher hammering me with English comprehension, grammar and spelling etc. So much so that now if I am reading a report I am compelled to tell the author they have misspelt a word or left out a comma. 
Just wondering if anyone else has annoying habits.

Hmm,  hahaha

@gus wrote:Hundreds ,like screw head slots not lining up . New tyres fitted but couldn't be bothered giving the wheel a quick wipe over . The word ,"ENJOY " when being served anything . 
Chalkie (Rod ) in general  Razz , coffee that isn't hot . Ultimate Diesel fuel ,don't ask for standard because there isn't such a thing . Handballing in AFL ,kick the BALL ,its not basketball .
Ect ,ect  Very Happy
Hang on ,that isn't the real question . Never mind /I feel better .

Heh Heh palexxx, I didn't say I was good at it, it just annoys me.
Thanks Gus (I think) - I'll need to review and add to my list . . .
truck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 6:01 am

@gus wrote: AFL ,kick the BALL ,its not basketball .
I get pissed off with the term AFL being used to describe the whole game.

What gave the VFL the right to change their name to AFL and then change the name of the game at the same time.

AFL = Australian Football League, it's the pinnacle league of the game, not the game itself

The game is Australian Rules Football
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 12:06 pm

Annoying habits.  I suppose it depends on who is annoyed.  

OTHER PEOPLE seem to have plenty of things to be annoyed about.  I'm perfect, of course.  

But then how would I annoy me, and why?  Whatever purpose could it serve?  

Still, there have been occasions when people have pointed out something they've "noticed" about me.  This was done most diplomatically and one has to read between the lines to read that maybe there is something that I've done or said that annoys them. Family members tend to be rather direct and undiplomatic about this, however.   

For example, I procrastinate endlessly, and finally have a spasm and get shit done, when the time and inclination is there.  When it suits, and I can shoehorn a few things together that maybe involve travel to the same place or are related in some way.  It's always better to get a few related things done at once, if it can be done that way.  It saves time in the long run, but irritates my family when I leave something beyond what they think is a reasonable time frame.  To me, it's all about timing. 

I get irritated by others who might belong to the same organisation, who have a committee way of (not) doing things.  They discuss what should be done, how it should be done, the merits of doing things several different ways, usually without anyone actually saying, "leave it to me" to actually DO it, or putting some time frame on things.  As for working bees, which usually end up as do nothing talk-fests, I'd rather be elsewhere.  Groups are full of people who are full of ideas, but have no pulse when it comes to action. Them who are keen to take charge often have motives and history has shown some, and sometimes considerable abuse of position in the groups that I've been involved in.  Considerable personal interest gets served where the attitude is held, "I'm doing this for you, so I'm doing this for me. Fair exchange," style. Where there are tools that get worn out or materials used, this causes a certain amount of acrimony where things that are supposed to be shared are no longer.  Men's shed groups are well known for this. 

I do a lot of volunteer work, for in excess of 8 months of the year.  The rest of the year, I am gone. In one organisation, this requires taking formal leave, and leaving someone else with "responsibilities."  When I return, I can pick up EXACTLY where I left off, completing any unfinished tasks, because it is for sure that nobody will see what is undone, that needs completion, even when it is pointed out and run with it in my absence, with rare exception.  Of real concern is when on-going business, of the type that takes years to complete, has correspondence that not only fails to reach me, but I don't get notified of, so I know what is pressing business upon my return.  

Lack of ambition and commitment in voluntary organisations.  People join organisations for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is social.  People should join social clubs for social reasons and functional groups for functional reasons.  Volunteers in the emergency services often get this wrong.  Where the prime objective is to provide an emergency service, then the commitment should be to the acquisition of the skills the organisation requires, learning to handle, maintain and deal with the tools required, and understand and work with the organisational structures in place which are well established and work to provide a timely and efficient response to emergencies, but above all, BE AVAILABLE and reliable in that capacity.  I'm fairly fed up with "social members" on that front, who represent a drain on resources and do not provide a return, apart from their being able to say they belong to ....  Then there is the issue of leadership.  It's all well and good to have ideas, but if one is not going to put their hand up to be "in charge" of something, then that is what is expected.  Few do.  Too much work comes the way of too few people as a result and the lack of ambition means that leadership is not sought, rather foisted on people who just happen to "percolate" to the top, because others can't be bothered or don't want to commit to more than a weekly meeting, if that, where they can hob-nob and feel like they are a part of the group.  This is not a good procedure for selecting leaders. 

People who "already know how to..." and can't be shown, resist procedures that ensure the smooth working of people in teams.  

This works on every level. People who drive, or ride motorbikes who can't be shown a better way of doing something.  This turns up in the choice of motor vehicles (manual vs automatic). Backing a trailer, use of mirrors. Checking things that need to be checked.  e.g. the DRIVER inspect the coupling before driving a vehicle/ trailer combination or the way a load is secured, if they don't do it themselves.  Parallel parking.  Gosh how many couples have a rub over a few of these things?  

How tidy is tidy?  Mow the lawn.  Control the grass vs manicured lawn.  Whippersnip vs spray. Where one parks vehicles, where the drippy ones go. How clean is clean? Eating out once a week and always going to the same place.  Eat the menu. When the specials board no longer turns up anything new, where do you go from there?  This place has better beer, but shit meals and vice versa.  All bait for conflict.  Maybe I should just cook at home for a change.  Ha ha!  Don't violate the domain. 

Me time. I hate the "joined at the hip" approach, and long abandoned any prospect of sharing lots of things, but endure the company of others who are plainly not my kind of people, not my kind of event.  Garden walks and art gallery visits shit me to tears, but I can be polite, if a little testy, where it is required.  There are expectations involved in the "couples" thing which frankly, are tiresome. 

How I deal with what needs to be done.  I've long used the "bubble to the top" approach. Where it needs to be done, it will be there, in my face.  It will get get done quick smart, and without fanfare.  If there is a list of things, than I need to see them in priority order, because if someone has a long hard whinge about something then that is what I will tackle, just to shut them up.  How often then, does a whole list of other things emerge, just because time has been made for this one thing that happens to be on someones mind at the time.  If there is a priority order, then this needs to be apparent from the start. This is a general thing for me, and unconnected, really from domestic life, though has relevance generally.    

Where do we go for the get together, or weekend ride. Some groups I'm involved in just can't seem to get it together.  Hey everyone can't go to everything every time. Good leaders lead, and leave a few behind.  Maybe they will be more keen next time.   

I'm a busy person, and fall victim to the "if you want something done, give it to a busy person to do" approach by others way too often.  

What is the alternative? Live like a hermit and think only of ones-self.  I must admit, that has a certain attraction, at times.  

In the mean time, I just disappear quietly often for afternoons, weekends or whole months at a time every year.  

I do go on a bit.  It's an interesting life.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 7:13 pm

I don't have any annoying habits............I got rid of her Razz

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down