10 years on - Bandit 1250

View previous topic View next topic Go down

10 years on - Bandit 1250

Post  reddog on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 8:17 pm

At the end of this month it marks 10 years of ownership of this bike. It still makes me smile. I can remember the test rides of mates bikes before purchase, a zx14, bandit 1200 and a tl1000. I rode the triumph 1050, gen 1 Hayabusa and new fuel injected Bandit with the wife on the back of all of them. Bandit hands down bang for buck and position was perfect. Other than shit paint and ordinary stock suspension I'm still a happy camper. I've fixed the suspension, maybe paint is next Smile I know loads on the forums have gone for new models, I could have too and the MT-09 kind of gets me interested. I still do like this machine however not sure if we'll ever part ways. 10 years old and only 41000... I need to ride more. Very Happy
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 10 years on - Bandit 1250

Post  paul on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 8:43 pm

They're not perfect , but things rarely are when you get to know them..........................mine still ticks most of my boxes as well .

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 11:09 pm

Congrats reddog, you've stuck it out. 
You just have to do something about the 4000 odd k's a year thing.  Very Happy
I'm the same as you,  ridden lots,  but never been persuaded by anything else.  Not saying the bandit is the be all to end all,  far from it,  just nothing out there that rocks my boat......apart from the MT-09 or MT-10, but the 09 would be the pick I think.
 It's a bit like the bandit in some ways.  A budget build,  with little things here and there, that people seem to customize to suit them selves, but with a definate world wide audience.  If I got one,  I'd still keep my bandits....I just can't give them up.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 10:42 am

Well I'm not sure how long I've had mine - 3 or 4 years:  

Long enough to learn to live with it as a "one bike to do it all" ride"

Long enough so that there is no NEED to accessorise it any more. Yeah well, maybe an accessory socket - for trickle charging when I'm away mostly (I AM away for 3 or 4 months at a time. annually)  or for a small compressor, should I need to use one on the side of the road, or recharging the phone, maybe a pilot light to show me when the cooling fan is on, possibly a coolant temp gauge.  (all stuff that might happen one day, if I find myself with too much time on my hands) I'm not so much a motorcycle enthusiast, but just an every day rider.     

Long enough to be able to appreciate having been able to ride through developing severe arthritis, a hip replacement, a broken achilles with only brief interruptions and revel in my recovery, (the smoothness of the 4 and ability to mount highway pegs on the engine bars was good to provide relief when I really needed it)  and newfound ability to ride for the sheer enjoyment of it once again, though 95% (+) of my riding is not what you'd call recreational riding.  Motorised transport is largely a utilitarian thing for me.       

Long enough to come to grips with its foibles, and there are a few.  It's a little soft in the suspension (hey it's a sports TOURER, not a sports bike) - I will well and truly sort that at the next major service at 48K when it could use some attention anyway;  The stock seat is OK for around here, but if I go anywhere more than a couple of hours away, on with the Corbin for the trip (which I don't like in town or where I'm on and off the bike a lot, but its a nice seat to spend many hours on.  The stock seat is not.) Then there is the routing of the plumbing to the coolant header tank.  What were they thinking? Hey it works fine the way it is.   

Long enough to appreciate it for what it is - a very good "mile eater" which has been trouble free,  which I will have for a long time, due to the generous spread of torque.  Nice in traffic out on the road. Plenty nimble in town.   

Is it perfect?  Yes AND No 

It will carry all manner of gear when travelling.  It just doesn't make any appreciable difference, apart from the width of the panniers and the way it handles in a big crosswind.  Hey, any bike will blow around a bit with a bulky load.  

It IS a little heavy and a little tall for me.  I can live with that.  When my travelling days are over, I will downsize.  But I am not looking forward to that day, and it will be long out in the unforeseen future.   

The lighting could be better, than as it came.   It IS better now,  due to the wiring mod suggested by Banditdave which provides full current to the headlights.  It is now more like what one would expect.  Acceptable now.  It doesn't NEED to be any better.  It would only encourage me to ride fast after dark. 

The long model run means that parts and accessories will not dry up any time soon.  

I'm not tempted by anything else.  I can live with it. It's becoming like a favourite old pair of boots - comfortable and well, just nice.  Like I like my bikes to be.  Unlike many other bikes I've owned, I immediately liked it.  There wasn't much to "get used to".  I've made it mine and expect to ride it a long time.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 11:32 am

I happened to ride mine down a gravel track that turned into softish beach sand. The bike certainly did not tick the adventure bike box. With a front tyre that is nearly due for replacement the old girl wanted to Bulldoze through the soft corners. Got to the end of the road in one piece, just took it easy around the turns Smile
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm

I'm now 7.5 years into ownership of my 2010 model 1250S. Just clicked over 93,000kms. Recently I was tempted to buy a new one as CMC are selling a brand new S for $12,500 registered drive away. A Wauchope dealer was also selling a brand new FA at that same price. But I resisted the temptation and intend to keep riding the 2010 model for a few more years, and see what else comes onto the market. Out of the current crop of bikes, I'd be most tempted by by a 2017 Triumph Tiger 1050S, but I've resisted that too even though there are some pretty hot deals around. 
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 4:26 pm

Interesting you mentioned the tiger. I tried one on for size while in Sydney with Chook and Baz. I was was surprised I could reach the ground Laughing barely. I certainly liked it and its features just struggling with the near $30k price tag. Reckon it would have been a great partner for my ride west.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rodent4 on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

I'm not near the K's or the time frame that some of you guys have owned your Bandits, but after 5 years and 22000k's of ownership of my '12 I can't honestly say that I'd ever parts with mine. It just ticks all the boxes..... Smile

rodent4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 7:22 pm

Been a few years and about 5 bikes since I let the bandit go but you know what, I still look at the FA owned by a workmate when it's parked at work and start singing that Cher song to myself.
With the prices of the 1250 where it is now, it's so tempting.

dhula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:33 pm

@madmax wrote:Interesting you mentioned the tiger. I tried one on for size while in Sydney with Chook and Baz. I was was surprised I could reach the ground Laughing barely.  I certainly liked it and its features just struggling with the near $30k price tag. Reckon it would have been a great partner for my ride west.

YOUR NOT SERIOUS..... $30 000???
No way would I pay that for one of those, unless I'm missing something here?
I've seen them on the road, and never really given them a second look,  or thought, just another looking V-Strom, of sorts, you know, adventure style.  Is it in contention with the BMW? I've never read anything on them, so obviously I'm missing the fine print.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 6:33 am

@reddog wrote:At the end of this month it marks 10 years of ownership of this bike. It still makes me smile. I can remember the test rides of mates bikes before purchase, a zx14, bandit 1200 and a tl1000. I rode the triumph 1050, gen 1 Hayabusa and new fuel injected Bandit with the wife on the back of all of them. Bandit hands down bang for buck and position was perfect. Other than shit paint and ordinary stock suspension I'm still a happy camper. I've fixed the suspension, maybe paint is next Smile I know loads on the forums have gone for new models, I could have too and the MT-09 kind of gets me interested. I still do like this machine however not sure if we'll ever part ways. 10 years old and only 41000... I need to ride more. Very Happy
Happy anniversary  cheers cheers

Time to start riding her a bit more though  Very Happy
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 12:00 pm

@mtbeerwah wrote:
@madmax wrote:Interesting you mentioned the tiger. I tried one on for size while in Sydney with Chook and Baz. I was was surprised I could reach the ground Laughing barely.  I certainly liked it and its features just struggling with the near $30k price tag. Reckon it would have been a great partner for my ride west.

YOUR NOT SERIOUS..... $30 000???
No way would I pay that for one of those, unless I'm missing something here?
I've seen them on the road, and never really given them a second look,  or thought, just another looking V-Strom, of sorts, you know, adventure style.  Is it in contention with the BMW? I've never read anything on them, so obviously I'm missing the fine print.

Yep serious
Tiger Explorer
Although I'm sure you can get a better deal than this one, once you add panniers your up over $30k

Which is right up there with a fully optioned
%26%28Make%3D[BMW]%26Model%3D[R%201200%20RS]%29%29%26State%3D[VIC]%29%26%28%28%28%28SiloType%3D[Brand%20new%20bikes%20available]|SiloType%3D[Brand%20new%20bikes%20in%20stock]%29|SiloType%3D[Dealer%20used%20bikes]%29|SiloType%3D[Demo%20%26%20near%20new%20bikes]%29|SiloType%3D[Private%20used%20bikes]%29%29&pso=0&pss=Premium]R1200RS
which was my other consideration.

Consequently I'm hanging onto the FA for awhile longer...........

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

@Chook wrote:
@reddog wrote:At the end of this month it marks 10 years of ownership of this bike. It still makes me smile. I can remember the test rides of mates bikes before purchase, a zx14, bandit 1200 and a tl1000. I rode the triumph 1050, gen 1 Hayabusa and new fuel injected Bandit with the wife on the back of all of them. Bandit hands down bang for buck and position was perfect. Other than shit paint and ordinary stock suspension I'm still a happy camper. I've fixed the suspension, maybe paint is next Smile I know loads on the forums have gone for new models, I could have too and the MT-09 kind of gets me interested. I still do like this machine however not sure if we'll ever part ways. 10 years old and only 41000... I need to ride more. Very Happy

I'll sort him out when I get over there. Make sure he takes takes the bike out for a ride with me.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 2:12 pm

Yep serious
Tiger Explorer
Although I'm sure you can get a better deal than this one, once you add panniers your up over $30k

Which is right up there with a fully optioned
%26%28Make%3D[BMW]%26Model%3D[R%201200%20RS]%29%29%26State%3D[VIC]%29%26%28%28%28%28SiloType%3D[Brand%20new%20bikes%20available]|SiloType%3D[Brand%20new%20bikes%20in%20stock]%29|SiloType%3D[Dealer%20used%20bikes]%29|SiloType%3D[Demo%20%26%20near%20new%20bikes]%29|SiloType%3D[Private%20used%20bikes]%29%29&pso=0&pss=Premium]R1200RS
which was my other consideration.

Consequently I'm hanging onto the FA for awhile longer...........
Had a brief read, lots of electronics, and a bigger engine. 1215cc.  Well, and can half see where money is.

mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 8:05 am

@madmax wrote:Interesting you mentioned the tiger. I tried one on for size while in Sydney with Chook and Baz. I was was surprised I could reach the ground Laughing barely. I certainly liked it and its features just struggling with the near $30k price tag. Reckon it would have been a great partner for my ride west.

I was talking Tiger 1050S, not Explorer. There are specials on the Tiger 1050S at the moment - $15500 ride away, including panniers.
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:17 am

@Ewok1958 wrote:

I was talking Tiger 1050S, not Explorer. There are specials on the Tiger 1050S at the moment - $15500 ride away, including panniers.

My bad, I miss read it.
I'll have to look at the 1050 then. More my price range.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:23 am

@madmax wrote:
@Chook wrote:

I'll sort him out when I get over there. Make sure he takes takes the bike out for a ride with me.

Look forward to it mate. I dusted the bike of on Sunday and got out for a nice ride out to Nannup and back with my mate Jimmy Bandit on his MK2 1200. I haven't ridden for a few months and felt very rusty for the first half of the ride. The ride home on the Balingup -Nannup road woke me up though. 45kms of twisty heaven, with loads of bumps thrown in. No time to sit down and enjoy the scenery that's for sure.
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 11:05 am

@reddog wrote:
@madmax wrote:
@Chook wrote:

Look forward to it mate. I dusted the bike of on Sunday and got out for a nice ride out to Nannup and back with my mate Jimmy Bandit on his MK2 1200. I haven't ridden for a few months and felt very rusty for the first half of the ride. The ride home on the Balingup -Nannup road woke me up though. 45kms of twisty heaven, with loads of bumps thrown in. No time to sit down and enjoy the scenery that's for sure.

Mate talk about being rusty, I've barely ridden mine since the International festival of speed back in March and I've got 4000ks to do in December! Oh my arse is going to complain. Laughing
I'm looking forward to some of those awesome SW roads.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 9:48 pm

There's a few sensational roads around my place now mate.. stuff that weren't sealed last time you were over this way.
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 3:08 pm

@reddog wrote:There's a few sensational roads around my place now mate.. stuff that weren't sealed last time you were over this way.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum