Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion

+8
paul
madmax
Baz
Ewok1958
Jimcoleman
2wheelsagain
Davo1063
mtbeerwah
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

"Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion - Page 2 Empty "Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion

Post  Chook Sun 24 Sep 2017, 11:19 am

First topic message reminder :

.....and when would suit?

I'm keen, would love to do a ride down their, catch up with Barry and Gus in their part of this great country.

It would be great to get enough interest from enough different locations to have a true National Meet again

Needs to be after winter, probably early summer.

For me if we could do it after Uni finishes Kaylah (Dancing Pillion) could keep my pillion seat warm again, that would be first/second week in December

I'm keen to hear (read) others ideas

EDIT
Preferences

October 
2WA

Early November

Late November
Chook (2nd option) - No Dancing Pillion

Early December
Madmax
Chook (1st option) 2up with Dancing Pillion

November or December
Baz

Any of the above
Ewok
allambiejohn

Last edited by Chook on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 7:39 pm; edited 7 times in total
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

"Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: "Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion

Post  barry_mcki Fri 06 Oct 2017, 1:38 pm

madmax wrote:
Chook wrote:
madmax wrote:
allambiejohn wrote:I would love to take a proper long ride on the Bandit! No time preference.  Errr.. How do we get across the watery bit?

A very long snorkel
Laughing Laughing

I think you'd need 2, one for you and one for the Bandit Wink

One can feed into two  Idea

Nah, just wait for low tide  Cool

"Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion - Page 2 Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

"Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: "Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion

Post  barry_mcki Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:12 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:I would definitely try and make it.

This link might help identify a few good riding roads (although the site seems a bit cumbersome to use):

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-australia-/tasmania--___21842.html

Just storing this here:
https://motorbikewriter.com/tasmania-great-motorcycles-year/
Over on Netrider there is a Road trips of Tassie PDF link:  Netrider link

Up on the top right of the Netrider screen is the download link:  Rider PDF

This looks like a pretty good resource and is fairly up to date, I've included the link here but not sure if you can open it if not a Netrider user.

"Tour of Tassie", late 2018, who would be interested? / General Discussion - Page 2 Sideca10

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Davo1063 Mon 30 Oct 2017, 10:36 am

Late to the party. Tassy is the only state I have never been to so I would be very interested.

Davo1063
2012 GSX1250FA
IXIL Hyperlow XL
Hepco & Becker Luggage
UCLEAR comms
1989 GSX750F
Davo1063
Davo1063

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:30 pm

Davo1063 wrote:Late to the party. Tassy is the only state I have never been to so I would be very interested.

Not too late, its next year. The more the merrier cheers

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:35 pm

barry_mcki wrote:

This link might help identify a few good riding roads (although the site seems a bit cumbersome to use):

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-australia-/tasmania--___21842.html

Just storing this here:

This looks like a pretty good resource and is fairly up to date, I've included the link here but not sure if you can open it if not a Netrider user.
Yeah only available to Netrider members.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 30 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

madmax wrote:
barry_mcki wrote:

Just storing this here:

Yeah only available to Netrider members.

I'm happy to email a copy

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 26 Nov 2017, 7:21 am

There's been a few new members since the last post here, thought I'd give it a bump to see if there was any new interest.

BTW, barry_mcki, would you ride South with us or would we just catch up at the top of the Island? Gus, what about you? would you do some or all of the ride?

It's still a good 12 months away but that will fly.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 16 Dec 2017, 8:06 am

IM in for a lap no problems .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 01 Jan 2018, 11:54 am

Talking with mm a couple of weeks ago we both though it was time to start looking at locking in some dates for this proposed trip.

My New Years Resolution for 2018 is to try and make this National Meet happen, so here goes..............

I've been informed by my daughter I MUST be in Adelaide December 1 for her dance concert, a Dad's got to do what a Dad's got to do.

That would mean the earliest I can get away from here is a shorter part day stint Sunday 2nd and a full day to Melbourne Monday 3rd or I could just do a full 800 km plus Monday.

How would the evening of Tuesday 4th or  Wednesday 5th work for others as a boarding day? Or would later be better? I guess the latest departure date is dependant on how much time we need to be back home with family for Xmas

Questions for barry_mcki and Gus, or others that have already done Tasmania

- After a night on the boat, how far are we going to want to travel on the 1st day? Do we make it a rest day, a short day or just go?

- How much time do we need on the Apple Isle to do a full circuit, relaxed enough to make it really enjoyable?

- What are the "Must See" places?

Bookings have now opened for December 2018

Mon 3rd to Fri 7th are all 7:30 pm departures, Sat 8th has 2, a 9:00 am and a 9:00 pm

https://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/sailing-fares/sailing-schedule

I think once (if) we set a date in concrete we'll start another topic for the set in concrete information and keep using this for discussion, it'll be a lot easier to find info later then.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 02 Jan 2018, 8:18 pm

After a sleepless night on the boat we easily rode over to Strahan on the west coast

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 02 Jan 2018, 8:20 pm

I'm easy with dates, just need them earlier enough to get holidays booked in

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 06 Jan 2018, 11:27 am

Tassie is a lot bigger than most people think, there is no way you can see/ride everywhere in a week but you can certainly fit a lot in.  The better plan is to have a couple of "home" bases and do day rides. Ned from Netriders does a group trip each year,  usually has three bases, east coast, Hobart, and west coast, couple of days at each.  Also means if someone needs to do something different tbey can get away without messing up the main group.

The night trip on the boat means you don't loose daylight  riding time.  I've never had a bad night trip so you're usually pretty well rested for the start of the first day.  You get into port round about 6:30 7ish so good time to get off and grab breakfast.  I'd suggest running clockwise round the state, its about an hour from the docks to my place, Karen does a mean morning tea. Then a run up through Scottsdale to the coast, down and first night at Bisheno or further south.

Won't go into actual rides here now, there are tons of them. Bring wet weather gear,  shouldn't need it in November but things change very quickly, would even through in a warm top if it can fit in.  Don't plan night riding, you'll see on the first 10 minutes riding that the nocturnal wildlife has no road sense.  Coppers are pretty good, I just got let off a 72 in a 60 zone the other week, a nice xmas present  Cool.  Twisties have tbe normal caviets of gravel and 4wds in the spots you don't want.

I'd be up for the complete tour, depending on numbers we can billet a few at our place if the routes work out.

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 06 Jan 2018, 2:16 pm

barry_mcki wrote:Thanks Barry, a lot of good advice in there

Tassie is a lot bigger than most people think, there is no way you can see/ride everywhere in a week but you can certainly fit a lot in. 
Yeh, I know of so many who have underestimated the size of Kangaroo Island, Tassie is MUCH bigger than that

The better plan is to have a couple of "home" bases and do day rides.
I've been told that by a few people I've spoken to over here that have already done the Tassie thing by bike, it's nice to here a local agree with them

Ned from Netriders does a group trip each year,  usually has three bases, east coast, Hobart, and west coast, couple of days at each.  Also means if someone needs to do something different they can get away without messing up the main group.
Anywhere in particular you would suggest? I was thinking somewhere close to you for 1, and 1 close to Gus as well for another

The night trip on the boat means you don't loose daylight  riding time.  I've never had a bad night trip so you're usually pretty well rested for the start of the first day.  You get into port round about 6:30 7ish so good time to get off and grab breakfast.  I'd suggest running clockwise round the state, its about an hour from the docks to my place, Karen does a mean morning tea. Then a run up through Scottsdale to the coast, down and first night at Bisheno or further south.

Won't go into actual rides here now, there are tons of them. Bring wet weather gear,  shouldn't need it in November but things change very quickly, would even through in a warm top if it can fit in.  Don't plan night riding, you'll see on the first 10 minutes riding that the nocturnal wildlife has no road sense.  Coppers are pretty good, I just got let off a 72 in a 60 zone the other week, a nice xmas present  Cool.  Twisties have tbe normal caviets of gravel and 4wds in the spots you don't want.

I'd be up for the complete tour, depending on numbers we can billet a few at our place if the routes work out.
Gus has indicated he'd do the full tour as well, it'd be great to have local knowledge on board
Cheers

Chook
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 06 Jan 2018, 6:08 pm

Personally I wouldn't do to much PLANNING ,esp Bookings.
Get off the boat and see what the weather is doing ,is my advice .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 07 Jan 2018, 7:36 am

gus wrote:Personally I wouldn't do to much PLANNING ,esp Bookings.
Get off the boat and see what the weather is doing ,is my advice .
I get where you're coming from and if it just ends up being 2 or 3 of us I reckon that would work ok to a point.

If the group is larger would we have trouble getting reasonably priced accommodation in 1 place together during peak times? (it is a group event after all)

As someone that travels a lot for work and spends some weeks in a different location every night as well as some times 2, 3 or even 4 nights in one spot, the idea of setting up base for a few nights appeals to me as well. 

Having a quick look on AirBnB (I used it to book Eastern Creek for myself, mm and Baz last year, madmax booked Phillip Island through them the year before)
At a quick look there are some very reasonably priced places between Launceston and Barry's, a couple of examples;
a 7 bed house in suburban Launceston is just over $900 for 3 nights for 8 people (2 share a queen) or $834 for 7 people, pets allowed, free internet
a 8 bed house was about $900 for 3 nights, 

There's plenty more near the coast and near Derby (would that be too far North to set up base?)

I was speaking to a travel agent friend of mine Thursday, she said Dec ferries book out early and we'd be best doing those booking as soon a practical, what do you 2 think?
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 08 Jan 2018, 6:14 pm

I've now gained access to the Hema Motorcycle Atlas 200 Top Rides (worth getting hold of Chook for planning purposes). Both Hobart and Launceston look like pretty good base camps, with many rides fanning out around them. The listed rides with accompanying maps are:
#165 - Hobart to Richmond (24kms)
#166 - Grove to New Norfolk (29kms)
#167 - Campbell Town to Tasman Hwy (53kms)
#168 - Conara (Midland Hwy) to St Marys (73kms)
#169 - Campbell Town to Cressy (55kms)
#170 - Launceston to Ben Lomond (60 kms)
#171 - St Helens to Binalong Bay (11kms)
#172 - Devonport to Moina (52km)
#173 - Smithton to Arthur River (65km)
#174 - Roger River to Milkshake Hills Forest Reserve (21kms)
#175 - Waratah (Muchison Hwy) to Corinna (70kms)
#176 - Muchison Hwy to Zeehan Hwy (36km)
#177 Strahan to Macquarie Heads (15kms)

Previous experience suggests that some of these may have sections of dirt.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 08 Jan 2018, 7:56 pm

Thank's Dave, done, I've just ordered a copy (I'd been meaning to for a while now)

Are you still up for the ride? I assume from your post,  if yes you'd lean towards setting up base in a couple of locations as per Barry's suggestion?
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 08 Jan 2018, 11:27 pm

Chook wrote:Thank's Dave, done, I've just ordered a copy (I'd been meaning to for a while now)

Are you still up for the ride? I assume from your post,  if yes you'd lean towards setting up base in a couple of locations as per Barry's suggestion?

Yes to both thanks Chook. Definitely like the base suggestion.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:43 am

Ewok1958 wrote:I've now gained access to the Hema Motorcycle Atlas 200 Top Rides (worth getting hold of Chook for planning purposes). Both Hobart and Launceston look like pretty good base camps, with many rides fanning out around them. The listed rides with accompanying maps are:
#165 - Hobart to Richmond (24kms)
#166 - Grove to New Norfolk (29kms)
#167 - Campbell Town to Tasman Hwy (53kms)
#168 - Conara (Midland Hwy) to St Marys (73kms)
#169 - Campbell Town to Cressy (55kms)
#170 - Launceston to Ben Lomond (60 kms)
#171 - St Helens to Binalong Bay (11kms)
#172 - Devonport to Moina (52km)
#173 - Smithton to Arthur River (65km)
#174 - Roger River to Milkshake Hills Forest Reserve (21kms)
#175 - Waratah (Muchison Hwy) to Corinna (70kms)
#176 - Muchison Hwy to Zeehan Hwy (36km)
#177 Strahan to Macquarie Heads (15kms)

Previous experience suggests that some of these may have sections of dirt.
Dave if you're involved they will have dirt! Razz

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 09 Jan 2018, 12:54 pm

Now that we no longer live on a dirt road, I'd hoped never to ride on anything other than bitumen!  Basketball Basketball
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 09 Jan 2018, 2:51 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Now that we no longer live on a dirt road, I'd hoped never to ride on anything other than bitumen!  Basketball Basketball
cheers cheers
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Wed 10 Jan 2018, 7:33 pm

How many days will it be because i am sure Tag and myself would be keen

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 10 Jan 2018, 8:34 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:How many days will it be because i am sure Tag and myself would be keen

My suggestion is no less than 7 days on the island

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Wed 10 Jan 2018, 11:53 pm

Yep 7 days is about right, any longer and you'll be considered a local and need to register at Centrelink for the dole  Cool

Day 1 will be a full day riding, day 7 you'll need to be in Devonport about 4.30 pm.

Couple more tips:

They're usually pretty good on the bikes as far as security and quarantine,  a couple of questions and your through, found this to be the case at both Devonport and Port Melbourne ends.  

Bikes are usually last on and first off, so there could be some waiting, but this is a good time to chat with other riders.  

I'd suggest having full tanks before boarding in Melbourne, saves a bit of time at the Tassie end so you can be on the road straight away.

If you're carring gas canisters for stoves these need to be handed in at security and are returned at the far end.  The load them all into a rolling metal cage and park it right at the boat ramps, so it can be pushed over board if something goes wrong.

You can't access your bike once the boat is underway.  They do a very good job in tieing them down, even put a rubber band on the hand brake - don't forget to take this off.  

They'll call you to the vehicle deck about 15 to 20 minutes ptior to leaving, you can't get down any earlier as the doors at the vehicle decks are locked.

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 11 Jan 2018, 5:02 pm

madmax wrote:
Jimcoleman wrote:How many days will it be because i am sure Tag and myself would be keen

My suggestion is no less than 7 days on the island
I  was thinking 7-10

would 7 days 6 nights be enough?

If we were to set up base in Launceston for 3 nights and do 2 days day trips then ride to Hobart on Day 4

Would 2 nights (only 1 day trip) in Hobart be enough, I would have thought we'd do at least 2 day rides out of Hobart so that would be another 3 night stay

leaving Hobart we'd need to have at least 1 night somewhere along the West coast before getting to Devonport.

Depending on how many nights we stay over between Hobart and Devonport that would either be 7 or 8 nights (8 or 9 days)
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next