Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Bandit arrives tomorrow

+4
Bosco15
Chook
paul
Moz
8 posters

Go down

My Bandit arrives tomorrow  Empty My Bandit arrives tomorrow

Post  Moz Sun 23 Apr 2017, 9:41 pm

I take delivery of a 2010 Suzuki Bandit 1250 tomorrow, I have been a rider for a long time but it has been a couple of years since my last ride was running, a BMW K100RS which was a good but unreliable bike. Still got it for a project bike later but it was time to get back on the road so I went into search mode and thought I'd share how I came to the decision to join the Bandits !

I knew I'd be buying a used bike and went looking to see what I'd get for what cost .. first I thought I wanted another BMW and looked at the K1600GT - like it a lot but too expensive for me for now. Then looked at K1300GT, they were around $15K for good bike but higher K's than I wanted. Was chatting it over with a mate who has a K1600GT and he introduced me to another old mate who had a Bandit he was about to sell. I'd never really even taken any notice of these bikes and could not have told you what a GSX1250F was and in fact did not even know what a Bandit was, had to look it up ! Have now cured that ignorance .. It did not take long for me to come to understand that I might just have found exactly the bike I need and not just the bike the ego wants ..

I read every review I could find and watched a heap of youtube and then got on any forum I could find and naturally got to this one and found plenty of useful info that assured me about the 1250 Bandit.

As a quick study in just a week, it seems the highlights are: a great all rounder motorcycle, gobs of torque, twist and go response in any gear at almost any speed, plenty of horses that run out a bit but only once it gets up to lose your licence and maybe your freedom sort of pace .. seems there are plenty of straightforward mods to get the high end horses if required .. will be interested to see what the comfort level of the stock seat is like, probably won't have enough time to do long tours just yet so not planning to worry about that early. Seems like the best mods to do first would be the suspension but I am not intending to get too near the limits any time soon so I'll be leaving it stock for now.

Has got Givi top box and panniers and heated grips so should be good for the long hauls when I can get away on those. I'm a big bloke and 6'5" so might need a different screen in short order, see how it feels as the weather gets cooler. Otherwise it seems to be a good fit, again, won't really know until I've done a few hundred K's at least ..

So I figured this is a great bike for my sort of riding, reliable, understressed, comfortable, easy to fix and quite inexpensive, on top of that - a known bike, in excellent condition, at the right price .. decision made ! So my Bandit comes in dark grey with 17000ks I figured at the price we agreed I could upgrade my kit too, so went and got new boots, jacket, pants and helmet today and on the road for roughly half the price of the K1300 .. Bargain Bandit !

I know it is not the latest tech, nor the newest design but I love the upright riding position and it harkens back to some of the great bikes I lusted after as a kid, a Kawasaki Z1300 in particular - I know shaft drive, twin springs and all that but an early UJM .. I got a double on that beast a few times when I was about 10 years old and I was hooked on big bikes ever since .. so there's that !

Bit like a kid waiting for Xmas tonight, can't wait for tomorrow to come and to be back to having a bike I can enjoy, rely on and just get on and ride again and again and again ... Will take a little while for all the controls and the ride feel to become second nature before I can start to give it a bit and comment on what it is like to ride .. am looking forward to finding all that out in the coming days.

If anyone has any tips on getting used to a new (to me) bike they would be most welcome and anything specific that you think I should know about the Bandit please let me know.

Thanks,
Moz

Moz

Back to top Go down

My Bandit arrives tomorrow  Empty Re: My Bandit arrives tomorrow

Post  paul Sun 23 Apr 2017, 10:29 pm

Welcome to the forum Moz , enjoy your new ride .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Moz Sun 23 Apr 2017, 10:53 pm

Thanks Paul, I'm sure I will.

Moz

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 24 Apr 2017, 5:39 am

Welcome Moz, enjoy the ride and enjoy the forum, plenty of handy info on here if you need something
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 24 Apr 2017, 5:40 am

BTW Moz, where are you from?
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 24 Apr 2017, 6:24 am

Welcome Moz. 
I'm sure that you and your Bandit will bond, readily. 
Easy bikes to ride, due to the torque available at nearly any pace. It will certainly put a smile on your dial.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 24 Apr 2017, 7:01 am

Welcome to the forum and the Bandit community.  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Moz Mon 24 Apr 2017, 12:20 pm

OThanks everyone, nice of you all to be so welcoming.
Chook I am in Sydney, out Parramatta way .. 
Will let you know how it goes once I've ridden it a bit.

Moz

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 24 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm

Moz wrote:OThanks everyone, nice of you all to be so welcoming.
Chook I am in Sydney, out Parramatta way .. 
Will let you know how it goes once I've ridden it a bit.

It's a pity you didn't sign up a couple of months ago, madmax and I rode to Oxley Park while Baz drove up in our "support vehicle", to go to the International Festival of Speed at Eastern Creek a few weeks ago
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 24 Apr 2017, 5:31 pm

Welcome aboard.
Even from the dark side I still respect what a Bandit is and is capable of.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 24 Apr 2017, 8:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Moz.

First thing you need to do is check to see if it has a radiator guard. If it doesn't then add one.
general consensus is the stock seat is shit! Options are lambswool cover, Full custom re-design, Gel insert, Sargent seat, Corbin seat, airhawk.

I'm sure your gunna love it.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 24 Apr 2017, 9:38 pm

Rolled in the door yesterday after an overnighter to Augusta. 500Kms on the clock, two tanks of petrol and a few people probably wondering how the hell a touring bike with top box blasted past them and carved up the next few turns Smile

As you have mentioned no one looks or cares about the old Bandit until they realise that they actually go alright. They'll do $2.00 quite easily if thats your thing, but 140 - 160 is where they feel at home. Being tall you may find throwing the screen away is the best course of action or cutting it down. See how you go.

Good luck with getting aquainted
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Moz Mon 24 Apr 2017, 9:56 pm

Well it is here and I am very happy ! Have not gone out for a ride yet, want to take it easy for first real ride in daylight tomorrow as tempting as it is to go now .. must be getting old to be thinking responsibly .. hahaha .. 

Went to the BSFS a few years ago Chook, missed this one but will just have to catch up there next year .. Chris I read a number of your posts when I was researching, you've already given me heaps of good info, appreciated that a lot .. Thanks for the tip on the radiator guard Max, it will be getting one of those and the seat options you give are great, will look into that once my buns ache more than the excitement of being back on the road ! 

Overnight trips of 500ks is just the sort of thing I will be doing reddog so sounds like I'm on a winner ! Can't wait to find out .. 

Will let you all know how it feels tomorrow..

Moz

Back to top Go down

Post  Moz Tue 25 Apr 2017, 7:21 pm

Got out on the bike today for just a few dozen Ks, first impressions are that it is very easy to ride, plenty of grunt and barely had it over 4000rpm around town. Will get out and stretch its legs a bit more in the next few days but for now can report that I'm delighted with the bike and how it feels and rides, look forward to getting a few decent trips done to really work out what the Bandit can do ..

Moz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down