Do i need a social media account?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do i need a social media account?

Post  Ironman on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 5:14 pm

Just putting this out there. In this day and age where it appears if you dont have a facebook or LinkedIn account you dont exist.
Many forums have become inactive because its members have migrated to facebook and now potential employers look up applicants on LinkedIn. I don't have anyaccounts  apart from this one because of my perceived security and privacy concerns. Im finding myself looking up old work and high school buddies to see what they are doing 20 odd years later. Id like to join riding groups and track day groups but they are all facebook based.
Your thoughts?
Cheers everyone.

Ironman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do i need a social media account?

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 6:42 pm

I guess to each their own there.

I`m like minded in some respect, but I`m not part of the book club, nor will I ever be. Not my thing, and don`t give a shit about it.

This site, and a couple like it, I have a look at every now and then, speak shit like everybody else does, and that's me for so called social sites. 
I`m a person that likes to talk to people face to face, and I actually go and visit people, or vice versa, which means being around  friends or like minded people in ones own community. Most members on this site are down south, so the chance to rub shoulders with them on a regular basis, just isn`t going to happen for a casual ride, or really getting to know them, apart from words on a screen, which really doesn`t do it for me.

As for employment..well, I go door knocking, or through the bush telegraph, that`s where I get most employment. They`ll never dig up dirt on me, as i`ve got no dirt to dig...once again, not part of the book club!!!

Maybe I`m missing out on something good, but I`ll never no, cause i`ll never be part of the book club.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm

Social media is fine if you use it for the right reasons ...............like Facebook used for catching up with family events / photos for example , or to gain needed information , or for just plain old entertainment . The main problem is some people take the whole social media thing too seriously & end up living their life on line for all and sundry  to see. Nothing can beat personal contact with another person , but sometimes ( as with this forum ) keeping in touch with like minded souls world wide would be impossible without social media...........................just don't take it all too seriously.

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 7:54 am

Yep, each to their own alright. There are some advantages to a FB account if you want to catch up with old friends or organise a school or work reunion, etc. Or even if you want to maintain close contact with family members even if you're 1000s of kms apart. The ability of the individual to create events and closed groups helps in these respects, as the individual has control over who can and can't see their posts.

I'm a railfan enthusiast and enjoy getting feeds from various US rail sites, just to see the photos. So, if you have a hobby or a particular interest, you can find sites that support your interests and get free information. A good example of useful info coming in occurred yesterday when a friend of mine posted a link to a very useful book (ebook, in PDF) "A Rider's Guide to Touring Tasmania".

But there are downsides. Some people become obsessive about certain topics, eg politics, and feel the need to express their (naturally biased) opinion on every political topic in the media. This sort of thing becomes tiring and I soon get sick of it. Again though, you can choose who you want to see stuff from so it is easy to de-friend the boring or tiresome types or just block their feeds so you don't see them.

Overall, I wouldn't be without a FB account and I will be catching up with some old school friends I haven't seen for 25+ years as a result. 

PS: I don't use Linkin but I did find it useful recently to track down an old airforce mate I went to uni with as we have a reunion in MLB in June - so social media has lead us to being able to have a face to face discussion.
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 10:45 am

Totally agree with Ewok's sentiments.

I've managed to reconnect with a number of good school mates that I'd lost contact with, we grew up in a small country town, all went to different corners of Australia (and the world) for work etc.
Keeping in contact with family spread throughout Australia and the UK is easy as well.

Great for event organising/preparation, the ability to create events with access only to those you chose to see it is a lot easier than mail/phone etc. It also keeps track of replies/confirmed going/not going etc.

The Facebook messenger  is also a great alternative to text, it's easier keeping in contact with my kids on that than it is trying to catch them at home now a days  Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't be without it, I just chose not to be exposed to political rants etc through the privacy settings, great for sharing photos etc

Each to their own, if you are concerned with privacy, there are plenty of options to restrict who sees what
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:14 pm

Thanks everyone. I might have to try it out.
Keeping my ex and a stalker ftom a few years ago seeing what im doing or saying is paramount wrt privacy. Id like to show pictures of where ive travelled to and my project bike etc would be nice and connecting with track day groups are my interests.
If you are into cafe racers there is a great youtube channel called racer tv. Very inspirational and the guy who writes it seems very down to earth and almost connects with the art of motorcycling on a spiritual level. Some very well done examples on there and his visual production leaves what free to air tv puts together to shame in my opinion.
Thanks again for your input.
Shame we are spread all over the country because i would like to meet you all face to face seeing ive been on here for 6 years now and only met 2 others.
Something face to face communication gives that a forum cannot.

Ironman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:31 pm

You can keep your facebook profile completely private and only have those friends and family in that you want to.
With it like that, anyone else only sees your profile, cover photo and they can message you.

When you post something on FB it can be Public, Friends of Friends or Friends only, you choose.

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:36 pm

How does it work like if i friend someone and they somehow end up linking up with someone like say my ex will my ex then be able to see what im doing?
its just that our relationship was ok after the divorce (speaking terms) but she has since turned. Dunno why to be perfectly honest. Maybe im just a prick.

Ironman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:43 pm

Duh just read your post again madmax. My bad.

Ironman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:51 pm

I absolutely refuse to use social media i.e. Facebook etc.

I recently was invited to participate in a superannuation forum. The forum facilitator was a guy called Declan.

Here is my response to him.

My concerns re social media are identity theft and banking security and no, I am not paranoid.

As an exercise and for no particular reason other than curiosity, I looked up your name on google and made an assumption regarding your age. I found there are approximately 4000 people named Declan born each year around 1985.
Divide this by 365 it comes to 11 per day worldwide.
Your name is of Irish origin so you were probably born in the UK or Australia. Some of the 11 probably still live in the UK thus reducing the number in Australia by at least half, possibly more. So I am down to 4-5 people.
I know you work or are associated with Sunsuper so you more than likely reside in one of the capital cities, Bris, Syd or Melb.
From your email address I see your surname starts with "m".
I have found several DeclanM people on Facebook, Declan Melia in Melb. and Declan Malone in Syd. There are others
Your birthday would be easy to find as people regularly send each other birthday greetings on social media, particularly Facebook
Once I have that I just need to visit Dan Murphys or similar and request a replacement customer card.
As I said earlier, even with the best of intentions I believe you are providing too much information which can be misused, hopefully not to your detriment.

This is why I do not use social media

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 4:49 pm

@Ironman wrote:How does it work like if i friend someone and they somehow end up linking up with someone like say my ex will my ex then be able to see what im doing?
its just that our relationship was ok after the divorce (speaking terms) but she has since turned. Dunno why to be perfectly honest. Maybe im just a prick.

If you leave it as friends only then the only way your ex could see something you wrote or did, is if one of your friends to let them see their screen.

For instance my ex could only see something on my FB page if she was reading over the shoulder of one of my kids.

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 4:51 pm

@BanditDave wrote:I absolutely refuse to use social media i.e. Facebook etc.

I recently was invited to participate in a superannuation forum. The forum facilitator was a guy called Declan.

My concerns re social media are identity theft and banking security and no, I am not paranoid.

As an exercise and for no particular reason other than curiosity, I looked up your name on google and made an assumption regarding your age. I found there are approximately 4000 people named Declan born each year around 1985.
Your name is of Irish origin so you were probably born in the UK or Australia. Some of the 11 probably still live in the UK thus reducing the number in Australia by at least half, possibly more. So I am down to 4-5 people.
I know you work or are associated with Sunsuper so you more than likely reside in one of the capital cities, Bris, Syd or Melb.
I have found several DeclanM people on Facebook, Declan Melia in Melb. and Declan Malone in Syd. There are others
Your birthday would be easy to find as people regularly send each other birthday greetings on social media, particularly Facebook
Once I have that I just need to visit Dan Murphys or similar and request a replacement customer card.
As I said earlier, even with the best of intentions I believe you are providing too much information which can be misused, hopefully not to your detriment.

How does all that get you 100points of ID? Yes Dave you are paranoid, you just don't know it yet.

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:53 pm

I like Facebook, for the finding of people.  I have only done it twice.  Found them.  Took a while.  

I use Facebook for workmates, family, people I'd like to keep in touch with for no common reason.  The downside is when people who "connect" using forums decide to move most of their interaction to Facebook.  Destroys the forum environment and pollutes my Facebook.  I like to keep the different facets of my life somewhat distinct and separate for various reasons.  

One thing that is pretty important about Facebook is one's own personal policies (apart from Profile and visibility rules) is who gets to be friends.  I get a lot of Facebook friend requests.  Maybe they like the Avatar, dunno, really.  To become a Facebook friend they must be someone who I know, have spoken to and might have their phone number.  I know a lot of people.  I forget who all knows me esp work related people, or social contacts - I do seasonal work)   If I don't see dozens of my Facebook friends in their friends list, I just deny the request. Its a no-brainer. 

I only belong to a small number of groups, don't have a "page" of my own, and actually rarely post anything outright.  It's handiest for keeping in the loop in regards to who has died (Family) who is "on" with who (work and social) and what the grandkids are up to.  It never occurred to me to take a selfie during the Gympie trip in front of a landmark and post, though I easily could have.  I'm sure there are people who would appreciate it.  

Actually, the "communities" represented by forums make a lot of sense.  Facebook does them no favours.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 6:29 pm

@jstava wrote:I like Facebook, for the finding of people.  I have only done it twice.  Found them.  Took a while.  

Sounds a bit like stalking ................... Razz lol!

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 6:31 pm

Has he answered you to let you know how accurate you are Question

technically this forum is a form of social media .............. pale

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 6:35 pm

@madmax wrote:

How does all that get you 100points of ID? Yes Dave you are paranoid, you just don't know it yet.

A friend of mine had a $1200 transaction on her account recently which was not of her doing.
The bank compensated her for the transaction without any explanation.
WTF?

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm

If I want to know what family and friends are up to, or they want to let me know, we ring each other, and talk on the phone, alternately, we send an email with photos!!!!
If I want to know about something, I go to web pages to find out information.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 8:35 pm

The thing I am finding with facebook in particular is that as it has become more popular and the accepted way of communicating, more people are finding it easier to post holiday snaps , comments or even invitations, knowing that their chosen circle of friends / family can access it easily and almost immediately , something not always so easily done by other media means to reach as many people and with a lot less hassle ............ It has become so accepted in todays society , that if you don't have access to it ,you become the odd one out that others have to make a special effort to supply you with the same photos / tales , invites etc  , & sometimes find you aren't always kept up to date with what's going on .It may be a sad indictment of todays society ,but if used to our advantage , it can be almost as useful as the mobile phone has become for communicating ,( and in fact facebook is also an integrated part of mobile phone communication these days ) Obviously if you are prone to posting sensitive information about yourself on any open  media forum , you are asking for problems ( including motorcycle forums ) so as I said , used sensibly , it can be a useful tool .

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 8:48 pm

@BanditDave wrote:
@madmax wrote:

A friend of mine had a $1200 transaction on her account recently which was not of her doing.
WTF?

I'll tell you what it wont be, it wont be from using a Dan Murphy's card.
More likely somehow they got hold of her credit card details including the CVC number. Assuming that was from FB is a long bow to draw.
You can get caught like that using email as well.

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 8:52 pm

@paul wrote:The thing I am finding with facebook in particular is that as it has become more popular and the accepted way of communicating, more people are finding it easier to post holiday snaps , comments or even invitations, knowing that their chosen circle of friends / family can access it easily and almost immediately , something not always so easily done by other media means to reach as many people and with a lot less hassle ............ It has become so accepted in todays society , that if you don't have access to it ,you become the odd one out that others have to make a special effort to supply you with the same photos / tales , invites etc  , & sometimes find you aren't always kept up to date with what's going on .It may be a sad indictment of todays society ,but if used to our advantage , it can be almost as useful as the mobile phone has become for communicating ,( and in fact facebook is also an integrated part of mobile phone communication these days ) Obviously if you are prone to posting sensitive information about yourself on any open  media forum , you are asking for problems ( including motorcycle forums ) so as I said , used sensibly , it can be a useful tool .

Spot on, you need to use a bit of nous with anything online.

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 9:31 pm

@madmax wrote:

I'll tell you what it wont be, it wont be from using a Dan Murphy's card.
More likely somehow they got hold of her credit card details including the CVC number. Assuming that was from FB is a long bow to draw.
You can get caught like that using email as well.

When I had some unauthorised transactions it seems it was from using one of the online accommodation booking services!

'96 1200s Bandit
2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 10:08 pm

@BanditDave wrote:
@madmax wrote:

WTF?

How is that social media's fault?
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  gus on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 7:32 am

Stuff Facebook ,want to talk to me ,ring .
gus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 9:28 am

@paul wrote:
@jstava wrote:I like Facebook, for the finding of people.  I have only done it twice.  Found them.  Took a while.  

Sounds a bit like stalking ................... Razz lol!
Well it was, a bit.  

With one, I found a lot of people with the right names, no good.  Looked at people with the same last name, filtered it by country,  Picked one that looked a bit like my friend, looked at their friends list which had a couple of people with the surname of my old friends spouse, sent the guy a personal message explaining who I was, why I had contacted him and told him a few things about my old mate that only a family member might know and told him that if he knew this person pass on my email address, so I could connect with him or just disregard with my apology.  This took about 2 1/2 hours.  I got a return email from my old mate in a couple of weeks.   

It worked!  Amazing, really. 

The other one actually had a Facebook account.  Too easy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 9:32 am

I'm with Gus on this.

Have people lost the ability to talk face to face with each other, preferring to communicate via an overgrown wrist watch.

A personal visit is another option unless it is physically not practical then Skype is a good alternative.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down